I Would Like to Get a VPN

Snort McDork

Reaction score
Credits
But I do not know anything about them. Tech dude that helped me with this OS (Cinnamon 21.1) did not help me and was not that interested in doing so. So I guess I'm starting a thread on VPN Q & A to find out what are my best options.
I saw on a video channel of the dude offering a huge discount (from VPN that sponsors his channel) and 3 free months. Sounds tempting.
But I want to do my research.
I have an understanding of the purpose of a VPN, but I do not know the "nooks and crannies" of a VPN. I am interested in one that does offer a nice discount, but I would like to have someone to contact if I have a question or concern.
I have no one else to ask, so I am asking here since this seems to be my only option.
Thank you, and have a wonderful day.

Attachments

• xxx Screenshot_keybord kitty2022-12-24_22-40-34 (copy).jpg
    xxx Screenshot_keybord kitty2022-12-24_22-40-34 (copy).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 148

I have used airvpn... https://airvpn.org/ ....for many years with only a few hiccups. Support via email was excellent and quick.

No idea how their prices compare....I have only an interest in the VPN doing what it is supposed to do

I go about connecting and disconnecting in a specific manner...on the advice from one of the techs there.

To date, no qualms at all.

Just a word of caution: If the VPN is cheap....it is a real possibility that you and your data are the product. They have to make money somehow, and the sale of other people's data brings in a tidy sum these days

Last edited:
Hello Friend!
A virtual private network (VPN) hides your IP address using a remote server run by the VPN host while also encrypting your data so that it is unreadable to anybody else.
this way neither your ISP nor anyone who might somehow get their hand on this data can monitor your online activities.
A VPN has other pros as well, like bypassing geo-restriction and censorship. you can read more about VPNs here.

I for one can recommend the following VPN providers: (ordered by best price for paid versions)

#1: Mullvad (Linux, Mac Windows, Android, IOS)
Mullvad is an open-source VPN solution that offers its services at 5Euros per month;
you don't need much to sign up for Mullvad, in fact, you need nothing at all! they use account codes as the way to log in,
getting a new account code is as simple as pushing a button!
(this, although secure, can cause difficulty in case of losing your account code)

#2: Windscribe (Linux, Mac Windows, Android, IOS)
WindscribeVPN is another open-source vpn solution offering free (up to 10GB bandwidth/month) and paid services.
Windscribe offers Windows, Mac, and Linux clients plus web extensions for almost all browsers out there.

#3:ProtonVPN (Linux, Mac Windows, Android, IOS)
Proton offers all kinds of online privacy solutions, one of which is ProtonVPN.
ProtonVPN comes in free and paid plans, in the free version you will still have unlimited bandwidth but there are other limitations.
I hope my answer has been helpful and covered the topic on which you needed help, Have a nice day! (or night)

Last edited:
But I do not know anything about them. Tech dude that helped me with this OS (Cinnamon 21.1) did not help me and was not that interested in doing so. So I guess I'm starting a thread on VPN Q & A to find out what are my best options.
I saw on a video channel of the dude offering a huge discount (from VPN that sponsors his channel) and 3 free months. Sounds tempting.
I have an understanding of the purpose of a VPN, but I do not know the "nooks and crannies" of a VPN. I am interested in one that does offer a nice discount, but I would like to have someone to contact if I have a question or concern.
I have no one else to ask, so I am asking here since this seems to be my only option.
A VPN can be a solution to certain problems. It can also create them.

Many people know that a VPN can help them watch sporting events that are locally blocked. To be honest, I am not sure where they learned it, but I get THAT. Customers also have a vague understanding that a VPN will benefit them by enhancing their "privacy" and "security". I wonder whether those beliefs have their roots in misleading advertising by commercial VPN providers. The VPN providers want to grow their businesses, so they make broad claims of increased security. I am not privy to their marketing strategies, but it feels to me that the ads are there to help customers justify the cost of their VPN subscriptions to others when the driving motivation is actually watching sports.

I am curious to know what problem(s) @Snort McDork will solve with their VPN and why Snort believes a VPN is necessary? Start with the problem. Then look at solutions. The best solution may be a VPN, but hopefully Snort will understand how a VPN fits as a solution to the actual problem while learning about VPN pros and cons. There are alternative solutions to some problems other than VPNs, but a VPN may be the best fit.

I do not have a recommendation for a commercial VPN provider. I wonder how their marketing people sleep at night having refined "misleading" to new levels of cleverness that are still legal. Alright, a bit of exaggeration, but you get the point.

(This is LINUX.org! If you are not using a VPN to watch sports, then one possible solution is to rent a small Linux server on the internet, install VPN software, and run it yourself. A paid VPN subscription is far more convenient. They handle their own server configuration and security for you, and they are far better equipped to bypass sports blocking than a personal server you run yourself. They offer many exit points, and your own server would always have the same one.)

I look forward to the thread about VPNs.

Clarifying: This post is simply about asking a basic question: Why does @Snort McDork want a VPN? It is a friendly opening for the discussion about basic usage. I do not want Snort to feel uncomfortable about it.

Last edited:
I do not know anything about them
Then WHY do you want a VPN?

Don't ask people for the pros and cons. Don't ask people for recommendations. Decide for yourself why you want a VPN. If you can't decide for yourself, you don't need one.

Years ago, I had a book called "Notes to Myself" by Hugh Prather. 50 years later, one thing that I remember is "If I stand at the refrigerator and ask myself "Do I want a drink of milk" the answer is "No"."

WHY DO YOU want a VPN???

Try searching for: youtube why you don't need a VPN

If you want something that's easy to set up and works really well. Private Internet Access does a really nice job. They have a file you download and it populates a gui that you can keep on your desktop that gives you access to everything. They use openvpn or wireshark protocols just by selecting a box. They offer port forwarding on non U.S. servers, sock5 and shadowsocks and you can even purchase your own static ip. If you want free, the best free service is proton as far as speed goes. They're installation used to be a mess so be aware.

Then WHY do you want a VPN?

Don't ask people for the pros and cons. Don't ask people for recommendations. Decide for yourself why you want a VPN. If you can't decide for yourself, you don't need one.

Years ago, I had a book called "Notes to Myself" by Hugh Prather. 50 years later, one thing that I remember is "If I stand at the refrigerator and ask myself "Do I want a drink of milk" the answer is "No"."

WHY DO YOU want a VPN???

Try searching for: youtube why you don't need a VPN
Sorry I am getting back to this response so late. I have been going through a health crisis lately, and have not been able to deal with much of anything else. I also had to take my cat to the Vet Thursday night as he was having troubles. So things on this end have stressful to say the least. Well, I should have been a little clearer in my question. I think I wanted to say that I do not know the "Nooks and Crannies" of a VPN. You know. The little things. I know that they hide your IP address and protect you more than a normal internet service. I want to protect my privacy. That is the main goal. As mentioned above, I could have access to stuff in other countries (which I learned about from some channel promoting a VPN).I was hoping for someone to tell me what the benefits are and what a VPN does. I was hoping for a little more encouragement and not being negative about my question. So indeed, I DO want a VPN for my increased privacy. I saw a promotion for a 1 year subscription with 3 free months. I think it was "Surf-Shark". There was another I saw that offered a similar off of 3 free months and a 75% discount going though their provided link (as sponsor of channel). I'm interested in what the benefits are and what I get. If there is one I should avoid, then that advice is welcomed too.

Attachments

• xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx linux-space-Screenshot_2021-10-26_01-00-17.jpg
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx linux-space-Screenshot_2021-10-26_01-00-17.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 117

Many people know that a VPN can help them watch sporting events that are locally blocked. To be honest, I am not sure where they learned it, but I get THAT. Customers also have a vague understanding that a VPN will benefit them by enhancing their "privacy" and "security". I wonder whether those beliefs have their roots in misleading advertising by commercial VPN providers. The VPN providers want to grow their businesses, so they make broad claims of increased security. I am not privy to their marketing strategies, but it feels to me that the ads are there to help customers justify the cost of their VPN subscriptions to others when the driving motivation is actually watching sports.

I am curious to know what problem(s) @Snort McDork will solve with their VPN and why Snort believes a VPN is necessary? Start with the problem. Then look at solutions. The best solution may be a VPN, but hopefully Snort will understand how a VPN fits as a solution to the actual problem while learning about VPN pros and cons. There are alternative solutions to some problems other than VPNs, but a VPN may be the best fit.

I do not have a recommendation for a commercial VPN provider. I wonder how their marketing people sleep at night having refined "misleading" to new levels of cleverness that are still legal. Alright, a bit of exaggeration, but you get the point.

(This is LINUX.org! If you are not using a VPN to watch sports, then one possible solution is to rent a small Linux server on the internet, install VPN software, and run it yourself. A paid VPN subscription is far more convenient. They handle their own server configuration and security for you, and they are far better equipped to bypass sports blocking than a personal server you run yourself. They offer many exit points, and your own server would always have the same one.)

Clarifying: This post is simply about asking a basic question: Why does @Snort McDork want a VPN? It is a friendly opening for the discussion about basic usage. I do not want Snort to feel uncomfortable about it.

No I do not feel uncomfortable. I was expecting a little more encouragement, than discouragement. And I apologize if I was not clearer by not stating "privacy". I rushed though my question and forgot to include that. But I wanted to know about who would be a good service to go with (if someone knew), and the ability of me accessing another country. That's what I heard and was curious about that. And I was also wondering if someone provides a phone number for support if I have a question. I'm leaning toward a VPN that has a good reputation, and not a cheap one. Thank you.

I saw a promotion for a 1 year subscription with 3 free months. I think it was "Surf-Shark". There was another I saw that offered a similar off of 3 free months and a 75% discount going though their provided link (as sponsor of channel)
From my viewpoint....I would avoid these subscriptions.
Firstly...you get what you pay for....and secondly, these companies HAVE TO make money...if they dont, they are broke! If their subscriptions dont raise the necessary cash to pay for their servers and all their other costs, then they will sell YOUR data to make money....and there goes your privacy.

I still recommend Airvpn, for all the right reasons. ....not because they are elcheapo.

No I do not feel uncomfortable. I was expecting a little more encouragement, than discouragement. And I apologize if I was not clearer by not stating "privacy". I rushed though my question and forgot to include that. But I wanted to know about who would be a good service to go with (if someone knew), and the ability of me accessing another country. That's what I heard and was curious about that. And I was also wondering if someone provides a phone number for support if I have a question. I'm leaning toward a VPN that has a good reputation, and not a cheap one. Thank you.
I understand your requirements and they seem entirely reasonable to me. Unfortunately I cannot answer your questions about which commercial services are the best fits for your needs. I have minimal experience with them.

If I want a VPN, I just install VPN software on an internet server. I rent one or two cheap virtual private servers (VPS) for such needs. The cheap ones cost less than $20 a year. I use openVPN because it is familiar to me, but others dislike it due to concerns about complexity and size - which can lead to security concerns. Wireguard is also popular.

Issues with creating your own VPN on a VPS include the fact that the VPS has one fixed IP address that does not change. The VPS will be in a data center (centre) so streaming services will know that it is not residential.

Last edited:
Sorry I am getting back to this response so late. I have been going through a health crisis lately, and have not been able to deal with much of anything else. I also had to take my cat to the Vet Thursday night as he was having troubles. So things on this end have stressful to say the least. Well, I should have been a little clearer in my question. I think I wanted to say that I do not know the "Nooks and Crannies" of a VPN. You know. The little things. I know that they hide your IP address and protect you more than a normal internet service. I want to protect my privacy. That is the main goal. As mentioned above, I could have access to stuff in other countries (which I learned about from some channel promoting a VPN).I was hoping for someone to tell me what the benefits are and what a VPN does. I was hoping for a little more encouragement and not being negative about my question. So indeed, I DO want a VPN for my increased privacy. I saw a promotion for a 1 year subscription with 3 free months. I think it was "Surf-Shark". There was another I saw that offered a similar off of 3 free months and a 75% discount going though their provided link (as sponsor of channel). I'm interested in what the benefits are and what I get. If there is one I should avoid, then that advice is welcomed too.
I would avoid free VPN's. They're free because they usually have really long latency or unavailable servers. As far as picking one, it really comes down to what you want. Back in the day I used Mullvad for obvious reasons. I would literally mail cash to sweden. Now I use PIA and it's really for a couple reasons. One, they have port forwarding and two, I don't think there is an easier VPN to setup and use. You literally download it, run a couple commands and you have a desktop gui that is easy to turn on and off. I don't remember the price, I think maybe $30 or $40 for the year. Btw, I don't really notice any significant slow downs in speed either. I attached a couple screenshots in case you wanted to see how it will look in linux. Mine just minimize into the taskbar up top. You can access a more complete menu of settings by clicking on the 3 dots on the top right.

Attachments

• pia1.png
    pia1.png
    195 KB · Views: 128
  • pia2.png
    pia2.png
    85.8 KB · Views: 138
Private Internet Access (PIA) works well on Linux.

Private Internet Access (PIA) works well on Linux.
I can second that. It's very easy to set up, they offer port forwarding, shadow and socks5 proxy and an easy to use small gui. It's what I'm using now.

From my viewpoint....I would avoid these subscriptions.
Firstly...you get what you pay for....and secondly, these companies HAVE TO make money...if they dont, they are broke! If their subscriptions dont raise the necessary cash to pay for their servers and all their other costs, then they will sell YOUR data to make money....and there goes your privacy.

I still recommend Airvpn, for all the right reasons. ....not because they are elcheapo.
Okay, I will look into this VPN. Thanks for the suggestion.

Attachments

• 0.00 00-31 cats on zoom calls Screenshot_2023-04-24_21-23-31.jpg
    0.00 00-31 cats on zoom calls Screenshot_2023-04-24_21-23-31.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 106
Depends on which distro you're running.
I run NordVPN which is the fastest of all I've tried. I get my full 500mbps out of it, and on any Deb based distro it's VERY easy to setup. There's even a panel applet for it.
If you're running Arch based, it's still doable, but a bit of a pita.
Right now they're running a 66% off a two year subsccription plan
I've been running it for about almost four years now, and I usually wait for one of their sales to re-up my subscription.
They're registered in Panama which means pressures from major governments don'teven enter the equation, and IIRC they have more servers than any other VPN.
Here's a somewhat recent review on them.

And an excerpt:

NordVPN scores well here for its strong AES-256-GCM encryption, and supports perfect forward secrecy to regularly change keys (this time using 4096-bit Diffie-Hellman), ensuring that even if an attacker manages to penetrate one session, they'll be locked out of the next one.

Once you're connected, NordVPN uses its own private DNS to keep your internet browsing away from third parties. Its apps also include protection from DNS leaks, to make sure your online activities are safe.

And linux install instructions ;)

Last edited:
I too use NordVPN - but I only use their browser extension.

I've used them for years, which indicates my satisfaction.

I too use NordVPN - but I only use their browser extension.
May I ask why? (I use it system wide)

Also NordVPN for well over 3 years now.

Basically only 3 reasons to use a VPN - 1) You do not want your ISP tracking you - or 2) questionable Torrenting or 3) you live in a country that censors Internet

Members online

Latest posts