I Would Like to Get a VPN

Basically only 3 reasons to use a VPN - 1) You do not want your ISP tracking you - or 2) questionable Torrenting or 3) you live in a country that censors Internet

Mine is kinda #2. I use the VPN to access content that's geo-blocked. I may also sometimes check to see if my sites are accessible and check loading speed.

Basically only 3 reasons to use a VPN - 1) You do not want your ISP tracking you - or 2) questionable Torrenting or 3) you live in a country that censors Internet
4) You don't want the destination to know where you are coming from. This may be used to watch sports and other streams that are blocked in your local region. It may be used for privacy or malevolent purposes, like stalking, etc.

This may be used to watch sports and other streams that are blocked in your local region
To me this is the same thing as your ISP censoring what you watch whether local or not or in a different county it is censoring

To me this is the same thing as your ISP censoring what you watch whether local or not or in a different county it is censoring
No, it is censoring at the "source" of the stream. The ISP has nothing to do with it. By way of example, let's say you live in New York and want to watch a Yankees game. Major League Baseball (MLB) and similar streaming providers will geolocate your public IP address, account billing info, and other information to deny the stream because you are in the "local market."

I only care about using it in the browser.
Ah, ok. Nah, I kinda wondered why people would do that. So for learning purposes: " Will using a VPN on a system level mess with local services?" (Like servers, NAT, SSH and the like?)

Ah, ok. Nah, I kinda wondered why people would do that. So for learning purposes: " Will using a VPN on a system level mess with local services?" (Like servers, NAT, SSH and the like?)

It depends on how it is implemented, but usually no, not for local services on your local LAN.

It's not normally a problem. You still have your local IP address. In fact, your existing address still works.

Let me try to explain.

Your ISP gave you a public IP address of X.X.X.X and the VPN gave you a public IP address of Y.Y.Y.Y as the address you appear to be coming from.

Traffic should still work, including inbound traffic, on X.X.X.X - but the VPN probably isn't going to allow you to connect via SSH on Y.Y.Y.Y.

Of course, localhost, ::1, 192.168.0.1, etc all still work just fine.

It depends on how it is implemented,

And, as he said...

But, for your commercial residential VPN service it's not going to be an issue.

I'm pretty sure...

Depends on which distro you're running.
I run NordVPN which is the fastest of all I've tried. I get my full 500mbps out of it, and on any Deb based distro it's VERY easy to setup. There's even a panel applet for it.
If you're running Arch based, it's still doable, but a bit of a pita.
Right now they're running a 66% off a two year subsccription plan
I've been running it for about almost four years now, and I usually wait for one of their sales to re-up my subscription.
They're registered in Panama which means pressures from major governments don'teven enter the equation, and IIRC they have more servers than any other VPN.
Here's a somewhat recent review on them.

And an excerpt:

And linux install instructions ;)
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I've seen ad's/promo for Nord from a YT channel. And if I enter their promo code, I would get a 70/75% discount. BTW, I'm running Cinnamon. But I told someone about this offer and they suggested I steer away from an offer like this because, after all, they are a business to make $$$$. Additionally, my privacy may NOT be guarenteed because they could store/sell user information? But I did not sign up since I wanted to do my research first. I wish I could talk to someone on the phone because this is difficult to analyze all this and decide who I'm going with. Nonetheless, I'm thinking of either Nord or another VPN I was told about. I was thinking today while having pizza if I should try it for a month, and then go from there. But what I was looking at is the other VPN that has access in places like Europe. So does that mean that a website site (that is not blocked or un-accessable in this country) would be accessible there? And I have better option at content?

So does that mean that a website site (that is not blocked or un-accessable in this country) would be accessible there? And I have better option at content?
Yes you would not be geolocked, and once again Nord has more servers in more countries tham anyone else. I know that someone in this thread said to stay away from offers. I also linked a review by one of the largest tech sites on the web, as well as my testimony. In the end, you should do a one month trial on both and see how you like them running multiple speed tests on both SpeedTest.NET. If you're running Cinnamon there's a panel applet called NordVPN Indicator that you can use to connect, and disconnect as well.

Okay. Thank you for your input.
Okay, so I am on Air VPN now. I have a couple of weeks left, but I have yet to find out about hooking up to a server in a country of preference. I have been busy with other stuff, I totally spaced off my questions here. So I am on server in Canada. And it's okay as for allowing content (to some extent), but I am curious as to what would be available to me in say France. Also saw they had one in Netherlands and elsewhere in Europe. And if I have not explained my reasons, I used to be in media (radio & TV). I am opposed to censorship. The US is notorious for blocking. So far, I have seen much better information through Canada than I have here in U.S. So for a VPN user, I hooked. But I really would like to see how this runs through a European server and what content is there.

available to me in say France
Sorry, no France on AIRVpn, although you can double hop (Internal servers, used for double-hop to avoid geolocation censorship. Not available for direct connection) through France. I just had a look at just how few servers they do have SMH. Should've picked NordVPN, as they have 5,000+ servers ;)

Last edited:
But I told someone about this offer and they suggested I steer away from an offer like this because, after all, they are a business to make $$$$. Additionally, my privacy may NOT be guarenteed because they could store/sell user information?
They are ALL in business to make money, that's why they're called a business.
NordVPN has no log files, so even if a gov't happens to hit them in Panama (their headquarters) with a subpoena, they can't get any info without log files. They've submitted themselves to three independent audits so far, and have passed with flying colors, and having NO LOG FILES.
Your "AirVPN, aside from having just a few servers, who's website looks like it was built by someone's 8 year old nephew, has never submitted themselve to, let alone passed an independant audit. Google "AirVPN independant audit", you'll find nothing!
I'd be more worried about that, than anything else. I'm not sure who gave you your info, but to be quite frank, I'd stay clear of them as well :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Members online