I was productive today...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I have spread Linux today. Well, sort of...

The neighbor's kid (not a child but a mildly disabled adult) had been asking about Linux - for quite a while. I showed him how to install Linux, specifically Lubuntu, and left him a few thumb drives with different distros on them. I told him that I'd show him how to install Linux, but he has to figure out how to use it on his own.

The directions I gave him were simple: Things are where you would expect them to be. (Also, to add "+Linux" to his search terms.)

For example, open the menu and look under "Internet" to find your web browser. If you want to adjust the theme, that would be in the logical place for it to be. This is a standalone PC, so there's no difficulty doing a clean installation and no GRUB issues with trying to dual-boot the system. He knows how to do a clean install.

This isn't his main computer, so we'll see how much effort he puts into it. He's well in the range to figure this out on his own and with search engines. He's more than capable of figuring this out on his own (with the help of a search engine). By the time I left, he was happily browsing and had agreed with me about the awesomeness of an email client instead of webmail. So, he'd also configured Thunderbird and was poking around in the calendar.

So, I may have grown the Linux population by one - but I doubt it. I suspect he'll stick with Windows as he's a heavy gamer and enjoys things like VR. He's aware that there are some games that likely won't work with Linux and that some people make compromises to use Linux over another operating system. He'll be just fine.

If he has 100 questions for me the next time I see him, I'll know that he's been using Linux.

However, I suppose that if I do this 3 billion more times, a good chunk of the population will be using Linux!

That's a good thing and it's a plus when someone is a willing and wanting to learn user.
I have an elderly neighbor that I hooked up with Linux and he learned quite a bit on his own.
So yeah there are some folks who aren't afraid to learn something new which beats the hell out of the unwilling to learn.

I have an elderly neighbor that I hooked up with Linux and he learned quite a bit on his own.

Using the term 'neighbor' liberally, I've been the driving force behind Linux being used at a house and a farm (just within my village). Much of that's a long story.

If we go by a per capita basis, exclusive to my hamlet, we have a high percentage of Linux users!

Technically, there are just 6 full-time residencies in my village.

Well, I've just given away another 3 older/slowish computer systems with Linux installed, the recipients seemed pleased enough, & didn't even mention 'that other O/S'..... :)

We just need to do this a few billion more times and we'll finally have the year of Linux on the desktop.

So, I may have grown the Linux population by one - but I doubt it. I suspect he'll stick with Windows as he's a heavy gamer and enjoys things like VR. He's aware that there are some games that likely won't work with Linux and that some people make compromises to use Linux over another operating system. He'll be just fine.
Hey! I am a heavy gamer and I'm just doing fine with Linux. I also enjoy VR. I have stuck windows 10 on a moldy, dank corner of my hard drive and used software like O&O ShutUp 10 to strangle any hope it has to send data... that is until my drive croaked, but I fully intend to buy another one...

Hey! I am a heavy gamer and I'm just doing fine with Linux.

While that's true, it's also true that some games just won't work with Linux. I suppose they could try the VM route. The kid spends pretty much all of his money on gaming, so he's got some pretty beefy computers.

While that's true, it's also true that some games just won't work with Linux.
Well that's a choice that's a no-brainer for me. No Linux compatibility or emulation, no game!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts