I did what "experts" used to say was impossible

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
First to say: this ain't a support topic, I'm just passing by to brag about something I did. Something all "experts" kept telling me for a whole year it was impossible, namely - to return back to my favourite video driver and probably the last kernel that has ever shown resistance to a sudden power loss.
smile

But I decided to prove them wrong and so I did that.

Until a few minutes ago the video driver used to be 525.89.02 and the kernel used to be 6.1.55-LTS.
Since a few minutes ago the video driver is now 515.76 and the kernel is now 5.15.94-LTS.

All it took to do that was rolling kernel 6.0.1 (not 6.6.4) and software rendering for the desktop - GDM has that option.

Bottom line - don't always believe what the experts tell you, sometimes they don't know what they're talking about, apparently.
big_smile

Nice! Keep in mind everyone on the internet has bad days, even experts and you and me as well or maybe you caught them in a bad mood because of something. Also you can't be an expert in all fields when it comes to technology, there are just too many topics.
Screenshot from 2023-12-06 11-31-30.png

I did try the most recent kernel with the 515.76 driver but that causes gdm not being able to start X.

Last edited:
@rado84 :-

Wellll.....what with kernel swaps being an easy 2-3 minute job.....and with on-the-fly compiling from the official .run files (via our GetNvidia utility) being a relatively simple proposition for us, it's always been easy enough to revert back to earlier versions of anything here in Puppyland.

But I will say "Kudos" to you for achieving this in a mainstream distro, because the process there is often a lot more fiddly & awkward. So well done you..!

(Whenever I have a perfectly set-up & functioning Puppy that does everything I want it to, it always gets backed-up - at least twice! - and for us, reverting to an earlier Puppy build involves no more than deletion and replacement of a directory.....)

I always take what the "experts" say with a large pinch of salt. Sometimes, even a sackful.....!! :p

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Well there is plenty howtos about kernel downgrading..
but experts are correct. For example if I downgrade kernel to anything before 2021, I will lose support for part of my hardware and expose system to the kernel bugs not fixed before specific date. Security issues are fixed with LTS so going back from 6.x to 5.x LTS is safe if 5.x LTS supports your hardware.
In your case 5.x supports your hardware and if this is LTS there is nothing wrong with kernel downgrading.

I mean, apart from time travel and solving P=NP, anything is possible in opensource ... and I'm not so sure about timetravel

I mean, apart from time travel and solving P=NP, anything is possible in opensource ... and I'm not so sure about timetravel

The P vs NP issue may someday be fully resolved. It won't be solved by me. No, it'll take someone far smarter than I am. I've heard some say that quantum computing may make this possible, but I didn't fully understand their reasoning.

For those who don't know what this is, it's an interesting nugget in math/computer science. (We have many unsolved problems in mathematics.) If that sort of thing interests you, Wikipedia will surely have an article on the subject.

All it took to do that was rolling kernel 6.0.1 (not 6.6.4) and software rendering for the desktop - GDM has that option.

Bottom line - don't always believe what the experts tell you, sometimes they don't know what they're talking about, apparently.
big_smile

Credit where credit's due. But the question remains - WHY?

Members online

Latest posts