how to install qgis tar.bz2 qgis files?

Prosper

Reaction score
Credits
I want to install an old version of qgis on my PC. But, despite all I did, I didn't find any means to do it. Indeed, I need it because of an plugin only available in qgis 2.xx repository "Molusce". It permits to make a prediction map. I truly need your help.

If you have a xxxxx.tar.bz2 file. You cando the following in one step, but it's really two steps, so
I will do this in two steps.
1. Uncompress the bzip2 file.
You can either do bunzip2 xxxxxx.tar.bz2 or bzip -d xxxxxx.tar.bz2
Both methods do exactly the same thing, slightly fewer character to type in 2nd method.
But the file is still tarr'd (tape archive). Now you have a file called xxxxxxx.tar
2. Un-archive the tar file.
tar xvf xxxxx.tar

Now usually ( but not always ) this will make a new directory, with all your files in it.
But I have found over the years, sometimes the files aren't in a directory, so when you un-archive it,
it clutters up the directory you are with a lot of new files, and it's sometimes difficult to tell
which files belong to which application. So I usually make a new directory and untar everything there
just in case.

Some file explorer GUI's such as MATE caja, will let you click on compressed/archived files
and let you look "inside" them. Usually if you right-click on the file, there is an option to "extract here".

Note: All distro's do not install bzip2 by default.

Last edited:
They kinda did answer your question.

The rest is self-explanatory. Once you've extracted the files, you need to read (some of) them to figure out what to do next. Look for a 'readme' type of file, or a 'documentation' file/folder.

You may need to run the config, then make, then maybe make install? We have no idea.

Software installation by this method is not consistent.

You may not even have a means to install it in there. There may be a binary file that you need to make executable and then run.

But, your trail starts with extracting the files. After that, we have no idea what's next. You didn't even link to the file in question, or even the site's project page. Contrary to popular belief, only one of us is a wizard and their crystal ball was stolen by a hairy dwarf.

I want to install an old version of qgis on my PC. But, despite all I did, I didn't find any means to do it.
qgis is a massive project that has a bunch of dependencies and needs a bunch of tools. Installation instructions are at:
Good luck.

Latest posts