Solved How to fix Grub menu don't appear on restart in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Windows 11 Dual boot?

Solved issue

Mikesew1320

Reaction score
Credits
I installed Ubuntu 22.04 LTS latest with windows 11 dual boot and I installed it on my "D" drive. Now the Grub menu to select which OS I need to boot into is not coming when I open my PC. I should go to boot device option whenever I need to boot in the Parrot OS.

What can I do to fix this?

N.B The Grub menu comes when I install it on my "C" drive

that sounds like it might be related to this issue with how ubuntu set up grub and os-prober: https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/12/grub-doesnt-detect-windows-linux-distros-fix
Not at all. It is about appearance of Windows boot manager in grub options/list. Mine is, To make grub menu to appear always when I open/restart my PC to choose from OSs installed on my PC.

When I go into boot manager and choose UBUNTU, Grub comes and there, there is Windows boot option to boot into windows.

This used to happen to me when I tried to dual boot Mint & Win. The answer on the Mint forums was to install Windows first. Then Mint, or in your case, Ubuntu. That way Ubuntu will overwrite whatever and booting will display the grubmenu. Good luck.

This used to happen to me when I tried to dual boot Mint & Win. The answer on the Mint forums was to install Windows first. Then Mint, or in your case, Ubuntu. That way Ubuntu will overwrite whatever and booting will display the grubmenu. Good luck.
I installed win11 1st

if ubuntu was installed in uefi mode (it sounds like it was), you may be able to try and change the boot order with efibootmgr. i usually start by running just

efibootmgr

to see what the order is first before trying to make any changes.

if ubuntu was installed in uefi mode (it sounds like it was), you may be able to try and change the boot order with efibootmgr. i usually start by running just

efibootmgr

to see what the order is first before trying to make any changes.
Yeah, Am on UEFI BiOS. Boot order to?? To boot directly to Ubuntu? If yes, am not trying to do this. What I need is to make the grub menu appear on each boot of the device and to let me choose into which OS I need to boot into.

the entry listed by efibootmgr should be for the grub menu not booting directly into ubuntu.
What I need is to make the grub menu appear on each boot of the device and to let me choose into which OS I need to boot into.
that's what i'm trying to help you get set up. or at least test to see if it is possible.

My issue is solved by giving 1st priority to the grub bootloader in BIOS OS boot manager option! Refer here for more information.

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts