How fast is your browser ?

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
Speedometer 3

I would suggest you click on Test Instructions, before beginning the test

I ran 3 tests. on ....Brave Browser , chromium, and Firefox.

Brave still had 5 extensions running, Chromium had 4, Firefox had none

The quickest browser in the test was Brave....at 9.8 on their 'speedo'

I will disable extensions on brave and run it again, later in my day

Brian
I think your browser speed is immaterial, other factors have more influence on your browsing speed, such as the speed of your ISP the total load on the world system the speed of the server at the other end [and in some parts of the world if you have used a term considered pointing to illegal operations which are then diverted via a monitoring station]

Brave Browser with no extensions. Nothing else running.

1712012910171.png

Chromium, with no extensions, nothing else running

1712013272501.png

Firefox, no extensions, nothing else running

1712013473729.png

I think bandwidth matters for this one. The best I can drum up is about 5.1.

I have a VPS with a DE enabled and was able to get about 15. The VPS is slower than my desktop - by a wide margin. It just has a massive pipe of bandwidth available to it.

Brian
I think your browser speed is immaterial, other factors have more influence on your browsing speed, such as the speed of your ISP the total load on the world system the speed of the server at the other end [and in some parts of the world if you have used a term considered pointing to illegal operations which are then diverted via a monitoring station]
I will have to agree here. browser speed is nothing. It is varied depending on the system. If I have an M.2 for my drive and you have a mechanical HDD, My browser speed and everything else will run circles around you. I think browser speed is just a metric invented by somebody to promote browsers. Speed of the connection and where you are connecting to is far far more important than how fast a browser is. A second or 2 difference is not enough for anybody to even take notice.

The above reults tell me that on MY pc, The actual difference in browsers speeds when comparing Brave, Chromium and Firefox, is insufficient to convince me to change from my regular, everday brower, which is Brave

@KGIII, seeing your pressed for bandwidth is there anything to be gained, by YOU, if you were to change browsers?

I do hope that members here are getting my point here....I put this up so that each individual can test THEIR system/browser.....and make an informed decision if there is anything to be gained by using one browser or another.

It is obviously going to differ enormously from one locality to another. This is not a competition, as some seem to think it is.

I guess I am failing to see any benefit with this. I just use firefox for a browser and when that does not work (lazy web site programming) I switch to crome (ick). I am more concerned with what works right rather than if it is 1.3 seconds faster.

Maybe I need to be educated on why this is even a concern. Yes I am willing to learn.

@KGIII, seeing your pressed for bandwidth is there anything to be gained, by YOU, if you were to change browsers?

Not really. My browsers perform just fine for me. If they didn't, I'd have already sought out different browsers. I already use multiple browsers for different tasks. They all seem to perform similarly bad.

So, I'm fine. I was just curious about the results. When I saw mine, I had a hunch that it was bandwidth dependent. That's why I tested with the VPS.

Looks like another useless test from developers that don't check their own work. Out of curiosity I tried this test to see the outcome using my modified FireFox browser and all it does is run for ever repeating it's self with no results. I then tried Brave and LibreWolf browsers and ended up doing the same thing. This test is useless Garbageware.

all it does is run for ever repeating it's self with no results
Define how long 'for ever' means.
The test takes a few minutes to arrive at its conclusion. Perhaps your 'modified browser' is struggling to perform the required tests.

The app is put forward by : https://browserbench.org/Speedometer3.0/
I am sure they would be pleased to receive your gnarly opinion of their product, which is backed by Firefox.

Me, not so much.

Define how long 'for ever' means.
The test takes a few minutes to arrive at its conclusion. Perhaps your 'modified browser' is struggling to perform the required tests.

The app is put forward by : https://browserbench.org/Speedometer3.0/
I am sure they would be pleased to receive your gnarly opinion of their product, which is backed by Firefox.

Me, not so much.
Several minutes. The same thing happened with other browsers. I am not going to waste anymore of my time on this nonsense.

There's a progress bar at the bottom. It takes a few minutes, so you need to be patient.

@Crippled2013

I am not going to waste anymore of my time on this nonsense.

Fine - you have tried something and it provided you with no benefit that you could see.

Move on, and try not being so rude, when people provide an offering that may help someone to get a better experience with Linux.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Condobloke,

I'll try anything...results of Firefox.
1712025778361.png

Gee I hope my grammar is correct.
1712025972137.gif

Here's the result of Brave...
1712026980644.png

Google Chrome...
1712027038037.png

Look's like Brave is it.
m1212.gif

Goodness, that site does get frantic, doesn't it? Lol, I was getting dizzy. :)

I live out in the Boonies, so this was mine

DvQ1meB.png

I have updates to run in a few days with a distro that I use for testing, and it has 5 browsers on it, so I'll come back with their results when they are available to me.

Cheers

Wizard

OK, Bob, do I have to move to the city that can put on 4 seasons in one day to get infinity?

Lol

Staff online

Members online