Help with my distro hopping

• Thread starter Deleted member 151145
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 151145

I guess this is the best board for this subject. If not, feel free to move it where it needs to be.

I know several of you have seen my posts elsewhere where I mention looking for a distro that is resource conscious, but is till a fairly attractive install that will allow me to run a few favorite apps. I'm going to try to paint a picture of what it is I'm after and maybe someone will have a suggestion.

First, I have been running Linux Mint XFCE for the last 4 or 5 years. Don't hold me to the exact amount I have run a particular distro or any dates I might mention. My mind just doesn't recall that stuff like it used to. Prior to Mint XFCE, I ran Mint Mate for maybe a couple of years. I have 4 Lenovo laptops that are very similar and I'll need a distro that will install on all 4 of them. I don't have all the specifics for all of them at hand right now. I'll try and get that info so you can see what hardware I have. Here are the specs on the laptop I'm on right now, which is my daily driver.

Lenovo Ideapad 320-15IAP
Intel Pentium N4200 Quad Core CPU
8 GB RAM
Crucial model: CT1000MX500SSD1 1 TB SSD
Intel Pentium N4200 Series Integrated Graphics
Intel Pentium N4200 Series Audio Cluster
Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet
Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver
CD/DVD Optical Drive

The other laptops are similar, but all 4 are slightly different. Normally, if I can get the distro installed and running on this laptop, the other 3 will play nice as well. So that you know what they are used for, I'll explain. This laptop is my daily driver. I use it for pretty much everything except my new small engine biz. One other is a file and print server and is located back in my office. The next is my wife's laptop. All that thing needs is a way for her to open a browser and check email or order something from an online vendor. She does play a few games on it, but those I can get installed on pretty much any distro. Even if one or more games won't install, it's not a problem. She spends about as much time on her smartphone as on the laptop. The last laptop was what used to be my experimental laptop. I'd use it to try distro after distro. Right now, I'm in the process of turning it into my "shop computer" and it will be loaded with owner's manuals, parts manuals, and repair manuals for every type of small engine I can think of. I started downloading various manuals a couple of months ago and have quite a collection. Most of them are simply PDF files so the distro shouldn't affect anything I do on that thing. All I really neded is a browser and a PDF reader. Right now, I can still use it to experiment on since all those manuals are on the second partition on the hard drive. I do have it all backed up so experimenting on it is fine.

Now, what I'm looking for is any distro that can be classified as a "lightweight distribution". I'm not sure what the true definition of a lightweight distribution is, but I'm looking for something that doesn't eat 800 MB to as much as 1.6 GB of RAM to do nothing more than get the desktop up. I'd prefer something that is at least a little attractive so I don't have to look at something bare and stripped like Tiny Core or Crunchbang. I also prefer a good package manager and would REALLY like to have the ability to install Synaptic on it. I like Synaptic above all other package managers. Although not an absolute, it would be nice to have some type of Update Manager that runs and allows for automatic updates. My wife isn't the best at remembering to check for updates. I also sometimes forget to update the laptop that is my filer server.

As for software I'd really like to have on the install, I just about HAVE to have Gimp. Then, probably Firefox, LibreOffice (I only use Writer and Calc), Mirage, Pinta (maybe), Celluloid, Rhythmbox, Simple Screen Recorder, and Bleachbit. Everything else is debatable. I can find different software to do the other things. I'll be looking at lots of PDF files on the shop computer, but I don't have a preference of what reader to use.

Bottom line? I'm looking for a distro that is fast, stable, resource conscious, and will allow the installation of the few pieces of software I listed. I'd like it to look halfway decent or at least have the ability to tweak it to make it look decent.

Any suggestions? Anybody already running exactly what I'm looking for? I'll try about anything one of you guys recommends.

I'd consider Fedora LXDE with a minimal install where you add the software you need.

That's ^^ an interesting idea. :)

I'll add my 10c (inflation), and that is one you @lonewolf have already mentioned in your Introduction -

I keep going back to LXLE over and over and over. What I should probably do is just install it and make myself figure out how to do everything I want to do.

I know Dave from Maine @kc1di is a fan.

I have used LXLE since 2014, started with 12.04 and it went to 14.04. For the readers, it is Ubuntu-based, specifically forked from Lubuntu when they had the LXDE desktop environment.

Features low RAM requirements, a good swag of onboard apps, some good wallpapers, and more.

There has been activity from their camp this year, with Ronnie Whisler releasing the 20.04 (yes, I said 20) version last May.

He said, in part

...Pinta replaced with GIMP; Pluma replaced with Mousepad; SeaMonkey replaced with LibreWolf; AbiWord/Gnumeric replaced with LibreOffice;...

The Viewers can get it from DistroWatch, or from https://www.lxle.net/download/

Wikipedia also have an article on lightweights here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-weight_Linux_distribution

Wiz

Quoted from link.
You can download either a lightweight efficient Trinity desktop, or more advanced Plasma desktop edition. Live media allow users to get a quick Q4OS experience, or try it out on a real hardware without installation. If satisfied, an optional installer is available. Use the install-cd media for older 64bit as well as 32bit machines.
The minimal hardware requirements:
Plasma desktop - 1GHz CPU / 1GB RAM / 5GB disk
Trinity desktop - 300MHz CPU / 256MB RAM / 3GB disk

I'm using it OOTB.
1672373579287.png

If you want/need even more control, you might consider installing Debian via a netinstall iso file https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/index.en.html
This way, you can decide what to install or not. So, you can have nothing more than a desktop and a browser. Just make sure not to install any desktop, that is, select "standard system utilities" option in the installer, don't tick any other box.
1672416092053.png

I say this because if you choose to install any of the offered desktops, you'll also install a bunch of stuff you might not need.
Then, once the system's installed, reboot. Log in as root and edit the /etc/sudoers file to include your user, once you do that, log out (hit CTRL + d), log in back this time with your username and install a desktop and a browser from the console
Code:
sudo apt install desktop_name browser_name

That screenshot in @Tolkem's comment above is the "tasksel" dialog box that appears during Debian 11 installation. You can also run tasksel as a command.

A few weeks ago, I ran that same Debian 11 installation eight times into separate virtual machines, choosing a different desktop manager each time. My goal was to compare them side by side. I didn't do much with them other than gawk, and then put them away for later. I zip'd the eight VMs, and still have them. I used them recently to look at file manager contextual menus for a different thread here.

My point is that you can do the same if you have another computer that supports virtual machines. Try 'em out, then pick the one that fits your needs (and usability).

I'd consider Fedora LXDE with a minimal install where you add the software you need.
It's interesting to me that a Lubuntu guy would recommend a minimal install of other than that distro. Do I detect a slight distaste for LXQt or is it just my imagination running wild?

PCLOS Community edition (or whatever) has a very nice Openbox version, uses Synaptic and detects hardware (e.g. nVidia) pretty darn well, IMO.

That's ^^ an interesting idea. :)

I'll add my 10c (inflation), and that is one you @lonewolf have already mentioned in your Introduction -

I know Dave from Maine @kc1di is a fan.

I have used LXLE since 2014, started with 12.04 and it went to 14.04. For the readers, it is Ubuntu-based, specifically forked from Lubuntu when they had the LXDE desktop environment.

Features low RAM requirements, a good swag of onboard apps, some good wallpapers, and more.

There has been activity from their camp this year, with Ronnie Whisler releasing the 20.04 (yes, I said 20) version last May.

He said, in part

The Viewers can get it from DistroWatch, or from https://www.lxle.net/download/

Wikipedia also have an article on lightweights here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light-weight_Linux_distribution

Wiz

Yep. you're right. I know I've said it several times, on here and to myself. It's as close to what I'm looking for as anything else, except maybe WattOS. I used WattOS a few years back and even installed it on a few customer's computers that were older, wouldn't run the latest version of Windows, but were still too good to throw away. If I see some more signs of life over on the Planet Watt site, I'm going to pay attention, for sure.

Excellent description of LXLE. And it does keep getting a little better.

Thanks for the list. It seems that some of those distros are no longer maintained and a couple of them don't have anyway to download them. eLive has only two options. One is 32 bit and states it has old drivers and outdated software. The other is a 32+64 bit offering, but says it's a work in progress, is less user friendly, and has a listed desktop. Probably not the best choice for me. I tried to download one of the Sabayon flavors and regardless of which I try, I get the old, "Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site." error. Unfortunately, I run across a lot of distros like these that have fallen by the wayside. I'm going to look through that last one more time to see if there is something I can sink my teeth into.

I would give Bodhi Linux a try. It would seem to meet your needs.
found here:

I have downloaded and tried Bodhi several times. Right now, I can't recall what it is that I don't like or that won't work for me. I'm going to go ahead and download it one more time. It's definitely one that I have at least THOUGHT might work for me. Now that I'm on here and have a little support, I might just try giving it another try.

It's interesting to me that a Lubuntu guy would recommend a minimal install of other than that distro. Do I detect a slight distaste for LXQt or is it just my imagination running wild?

Lubuntu doesn't have a minimal install and LXDE is lighter than LXQt.

I don't recommend a hammer when the better tool is a screwdriver.

At some point, Lubuntu should have a minimum install, but we're not at that point today. Well, you can *maybe* do so, it's convoluted and requires adding a PPA before installation. That's not even 'beta' status.

Ahhh, glad you brought that up. Fedora is a distro I have thought about trying. Unlike a whole lot of other distros, there doesn't seem to be a downloadable ISO for anything other than just a single, master ISO file. I'm now used to seeing download links for versions with different desktop managers. Mint has Cinnamon, Mate, and XFCE ISOs ready for download. Is there someplace to download Fedora LXDE all ready to go? Am I missing something?

Quoted from link.
You can download either a lightweight efficient Trinity desktop, or more advanced Plasma desktop edition. Live media allow users to get a quick Q4OS experience, or try it out on a real hardware without installation. If satisfied, an optional installer is available. Use the install-cd media for older 64bit as well as 32bit machines.
The minimal hardware requirements:
Plasma desktop - 1GHz CPU / 1GB RAM / 5GB disk
Trinity desktop - 300MHz CPU / 256MB RAM / 3GB disk

I'm using it OOTB.

Is that the Trinity desktop in your screenshot? I distinctly recall trying Q4OS more than once. I'm positive I had the Trinity desktop version running live. I also recall that I was completely impressed with how little of my physical RAM was being used to present the desktop. What I don;t recall is why I never decided to install it and try to make it work for me.

I definitely want some more info on Q4OS. Since you are running it. maybe you are the guy to finally help me get it installed and working. I'm sure I remember thinking that, OOTB it was good looking enough to meet my simple tastes. Yeah, Q4OS is a real possibility. Thanks for that one!

If you want/need even more control, you might consider installing Debian via a netinstall iso file https://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/index.en.html
This way, you can decide what to install or not. So, you can have nothing more than a desktop and a browser. Just make sure not to install any desktop, that is, select "standard system utilities" option in the installer, don't tick any other box.
I say this because if you choose to install any of the offered desktops, you'll also install a bunch of stuff you might not need.
Then, once the system's installed, reboot. Log in as root and edit the /etc/sudoers file to include your user, once you do that, log out (hit CTRL + d), log in back this time with your username and install a desktop and a browser from the console
Code:
sudo apt install desktop_name browser_name

Here is where I have to confess to just how unfamiliar I am with command line stuff in my older years. I tried doing what you have suggested. Now, keep in mind that I got burnt out on command line interactions LONG ago. Anyway, I tried, and tried, and tried, to do just what you are describing. All I ended up with was a hard rive that was totally screwed up and a real whopper of a headache.

If I were to attempt that again, I'd have to have somebody sitting there, waiting for my next question. I've regressed as I've gotten older, at least as far as CLI is concerned. I feel a lot like most of my old Windows PC customers when I was still in business. I'm just about a mindless clod. LOL!

That screenshot in @Tolkem's comment above is the "tasksel" dialog box that appears during Debian 11 installation. You can also run tasksel as a command.

A few weeks ago, I ran that same Debian 11 installation eight times into separate virtual machines, choosing a different desktop manager each time. My goal was to compare them side by side. I didn't do much with them other than gawk, and then put them away for later. I zip'd the eight VMs, and still have them. I used them recently to look at file manager contextual menus for a different thread here.

My point is that you can do the same if you have another computer that supports virtual machines. Try 'em out, then pick the one that fits your needs (and usability).

Years ago I really got into the whole virtual desktop, virtual machine thing. Back when I was really into the business and really into my own personal computing, I had 13 desktop machines running in my home office and other parts of my home. Anymore, I'm just looking to find one, single distro that is resource conscious and fills my other needs. I don't mind downloading distros, running them live to see if I like them, then if I do like them, installing on one of my laptops as a test. I like to keep things really simple. I've never even installed a distro using a flash drive. No kidding. Never. That's just another of those things that I have yet to see a real need to learn. I can still create a ive DVD to boot to, run Live, then install if I choose. I keep saying toi, but I really am regressing. especially when it comes to my computers. The simpler, the better.

I'm just not into all that VM stuff anymore. I'm only searching for a single distro that is resource conscious and fills my needs. The simpler, the better. To try and relearn all the virtual stuff just isn't something I'm interested in doing, but thanks for the input.

PCLOS Community edition (or whatever) has a very nice Openbox version, uses Synaptic and detects hardware (e.g. nVidia) pretty darn well, IMO.

In the past, I have installed and even run both Lubuntu and Xubuntu. I'm not sure why, but now I can't even get the current Xubuntu to install on any of my laptops. The latest Lubuuntu would install, but never found the wireless adapters on two of my laptops. I tried a few searches for help and spent about a half day trying to get the wireless to work, then finally just gave up.

I did run PCLOS for about a week. It seemed to be going along swimmingly, then one day I powered the laptop off and when I fired it back up, all I had was a completely blank screen with the cursor flashing in the top left corner of the screen. I wiped the drive, reinstalled it, and it was running perfectly. The very next day I intentionally powered the laptop down to see if everything was OK. Nope. It did the same, exact thing. What I could never figure out was why it would reboot a couple of times on the first day, right after I had installed it, with no problems. It required a reboot immediately after completing the install, and then again when I had done an update. The second time I installed it, I made sure to reboot it at least one additional time on the first day of installation. It rebooted quite normally. I was thinking that there was something in the update that caused the problem, but it did the reboot immediately after updating, then one additional time that day. The next day the reboot produce the same, blank screen.

Staff online

Members online