Help with Balena Etcher

CarolQ

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, Friends. I'm using an HP Latitude that is running Linux Mint Cinnamon. I need to create a bootable USB to install Manjaro onto a 2015 MacBook Pro. I've downloaded both the 32bit and 64bit versions of Balena Etcher onto my laptop because I don't know which one I need. I’ve right-clicked on the file name for each, clicked on Properties, went to Permissions and checked the box for Allow Executing File as Program. I’ve done this on both versions and still can’t get either one to open. I right-clicked on both to Extract Here and the 64bit wouldn't extract. It did work for the 32bit version. I then double-clicked on the extracted 32bit file and absolutely nothing happened. I followed instructions from this page without success. How to Install Etcher on Ubuntu {via GUI orely Terminal} | phoenixNAP KB I've been researching this for a couple of hours and trying different things that haven't worked. My Linux laptop is the only working computer that I have access to. Any suggestions are appreciated!

HP Latitude that is running Linux Mint Cinnamon. I need to create a bootable USB

Mint has its own USB writer built in and a USB formatter , and they work well. I always use them

Hi @CarolQ
time for this old wizard to rest his bones..so..
if your pendrive is used
put it in a usb port
click on mint menu
select all applications
take the scroll bar all the way down to USB formatter and open
select your usb from the list
select format to FATS
click on format [only takes a few seconds]
now open menu
select all applications
scroll down to USB writer
open writer
in the first box select your ISO [it will automaticaly list all ISO's on your drive] find the 64 bit version of manjaro highlight, then click on write [depending on the size of the usb and ISO this may take a couple of minutes]
then all being well it will have made you a bootable pendrive..
I said 64 bit as a 2015 mac-pro should be 64 bit enabled
Dont forget to read the thread "install linux on mac book" first

Bwiz

Last edited:
Hi @CarolQ
time for this old wizard to rest his bones..so..
if your pendrive is used
put it in a usb port
click on mint menu
select all applications
take the scroll bar all the way down to USB formatter and open
select your usb from the list
select format to FATS
click on format [only takes a few seconds]
now open menu
select all applications
scroll down to USB writer
open writer
in the first box select your ISO [it will automaticaly list all ISO's on your drive] find the 64 bit version of manjaro highlight, then click on write [depending on the size of the usb and ISO this may take a couple of minutes]
then all being well it will have made you a bootable pendrive..
I said 64 bit as a 2015 mac-pro should be 54 bit enabled
Dont forget to read the thread "install linux on mac book" first

Bwiz
That was amazingly smooth! I hope you can feel the love coming to you for your help! :) Next to read "install linux on mac book" I'm very appreciative, thank you so much!

That was amazingly smooth! I hope you can feel the love coming to you for your help! :) Next to read "install linux on mac book" I'm very appreciative, thank you so much!
Does it matter that this made a partition? I don’t recall seeing that as an option.

Attachments

• 17B73E4B-92FA-4557-9173-3B7E5B15C1FA.jpeg
    17B73E4B-92FA-4557-9173-3B7E5B15C1FA.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 191
I've always considered myself fairly good at figuring things out but trying to learn the in's and out's of Linux makes me feel pretty dumb. I can't find a thread for "install linux on mac book". I've looked at the tutorials, done a general search in different forums, and still come up with nothing. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

I've previously encountered some errors with Mint and a number of AppImages.

Use the repository method and it should work just fine for you.
Thank you for your reply! I'm very new and don't know what the repository method is. Another term for my research list. I did find the built-in USB Writer that @brickwizard suggested so I'm hoping that works if I can find the thread that he suggested "install linux on mac book"

Thank you for your reply! I'm very new and don't know what the repository method is. Another term for my research list. I did find the built-in USB Writer that @brickwizard suggested so I'm hoping that works if I can find the thread that he suggested "install linux on mac book"

It's adding a repo so that Balena Etcher can be installed and updated with the rest of the system.

As @brickwizard said, you really don't need it with Mint if it has its own USB writing software.

It's adding a repo so that Balena Etcher can be installed and updated with the rest of the system.

As @brickwizard said, you really don't need it with Mint if it has its own USB writing software.
One thing to remember is the the USB writing tool on Mint only works on Ubuntu based OS, just like the USB Creator for Ubuntu only works on Ubuntu based OS does not work on Arch based OS ISOs

One thing to remember is the the USB writing tool on Mint only works on Ubuntu based OS, just like the USB Creator for Ubuntu only works on Ubuntu based OS does not work on Arch based OS ISOs

Nice. I did not know that. I knew that for the Ubuntu version but not for Mint. I probably should have guessed it, however.

Yep the one for Mint is based on the Ubuntu one

They probably should then take the steps to install Etcher, unless they're gonna stick to the Ubuntu family.

I've found a few AppImages that didn't (when tested) work on Mint. Starting them from the terminal indicated a library error that I never took much time to dig into.

Ah, good to know. Then if Manjaro is Arch based, I can't use the Manjaro ISO file with the USB that I created on Mint? Am I understanding that correctly? Second question: If I can get Etcher installed properly and working on my system, Etcher will work to allow creation of a bootable USB drive for any OS?

Ah, good to know. Then if Manjaro is Arch based, I can't use the Manjaro ISO file with the USB that I created on Mint? Am I understanding that correctly? Second question: If I can get Etcher installed properly and working on my system, Etcher will work to allow creation of a bootable USB drive for any OS?
Yes that is correct you need to use Etcher or Unetbootin either will do all types

Members online

Latest posts