Help : Connecting my phone.

Twynghyll

Reaction score
Credits
Just switched over to Linux. I have Mint on my desktop. When I connect via USB data cable It appears as Unisoc in my devices but I can't do anything with it. I want to transfer some mp3s from my desktop to my phone?
Kind regards

Connect the phone, open the phone and find the music file [minimise screen to half ]
open files/folders [green file on bottom left of task bar] open music [minimise so you can now see both the phone and music file]
then drag and drop either your completer mp3 folder from one to another , or transfer one at a time by right click and copy to, it may take a little while depending on how much you are moving

Also, check the phone itself. There are a few types of USB connections it will allow, from MTP to transfer pictures to the just plain charge function. You may need the 'file transfer' setting.

If you have a IOS phone try making sure you click I trust computer and then it should list files and pics and music .etc it may no work if you are a android user. If that dose not work you may want to consider going to the apple suport section

Assuming this is an Android phone, you need to make sure you have the appropriate mtp libraries installed on your Mint PC, to support MTP (media transfer protocol).

Then you should be able to use your file manager to drag and drop files from your PC to your phone, or vice-versa!

Use apt search libmtp —names-only and that should list any packages and their installation status.
If you don’t have libmtp installed, then install it using sudo apt install {nameOfPackage} where {nameOfPackage} is the exact name of the libmtp package.
If memory serves there are a few mtp packages. A common package, a runtime package. And I think there’s also libmtp-tools, which I believe has some command line tools for dealing with mtp transfers.

I don’t know if libmtp is included in Mint’s default installation. But I know it’s not installed by default in Debian.
Either way - check to see if you have the appropriate mtp libraries installed and install them if there are any missing.
Then you should be able to plug in your phone and just drag and drop files in your file manager.

For Android you will need to install as @JasKinasis has said support for MTP
Code:
sudo apt install go-mtpfs jmtpfs
after installation plug your phone back in you should be able to use your file manager to transfer files now

you may want to dual boot to windows transfer your phone data to a drive on windows and send the data to linux mint

Members online

Latest posts