GRUB Rescue:Need help from someone with patience

xShape

Reaction score
Credits
20240514_204233.jpg

I tried installing Kali Linux but had some problem,errors and now when i want to boot the laptop this is what happens. I tried looking for tutorials but its like Chinese
I dont have experience at all..
Please give me guidance so i can use the laptop and fix this problem.

I am sorry to tell you, that you should have read the KALI doc's [link on the download page] BEFORE attempting to install and use it,
Kali is not for beginners
Kali is not for anyone who is not experienced in Linux and the use of the Linux terminal [usually around 3 yrs of daily use]
Kali is designed for experienced pen-testers only,
Kali is not easy for even some experienced Linux users to install, get it wrong and you will brick your machine,

you can use my general guide to installing Linux, which works with most distributions but its not written for Kali

Last edited:
shouldn't there be caveats to that effect?
Unfortunately Developers doc's are treated by many in the same ways as internet terms and conditions, a pain to read waste time reading [especially as I have been using computers for 5/10/20/40 years].
I have got in the habit of reading distribution docs and download notes, so I understand what's new or different or for known problems before I install anything new.

I manage to get into bios,i will try a virtual box machine soon since its much safe.
I checked the guide as well on how to install, not much difference actually.

i will try a virtual box machine soon since its much safe.
as you have little or no knowledge of Linux then yes a VM/VB will be a lot safer and easier to re-install when it goes wrong, or another method would be using a USB pen-drive with persistence

I take where you are coming from, @ron.alan and thank you for the suggestion, but sadly it would not make one iota of difference.

As it stands, the Kali LInux subforum has as its top two, pinned threads

Kali Linux Forum - README BEFORE POSTING IN HERE

and

An interesting question posed about Kali: "Why is Kali Linux so hard to set up and why won't people help me?"

10,000 to 11,000 readers have viewed those threads, but the uninformed questions keep rolling in.

And 80% (my guess) of members who post a thread on Kali can't even navigate their way to posting it in the correct place.

Try a search using our Search facility using

moving kali linux

and

moved kali linux

and you will get an idea of the number that David G @KGIII and I move.

The only reason that Kali is in our downloads section is because the boss uses it for what it is intended for, and has the skills to do so.

HTH :)

Wizard

and you will get an idea of the number that David G @KGIII and I move.

I think I move more threads to the Kali sub-forum than actually start there. That number is likely similar for you, as I see you move quite a few threads to the sub-forum.

In other words, the average Kali user isn't able to figure out where to best post their questions.

If they can't figure that out on there own...

Well, I'll leave the rest of that unspoken. I try to encourage people but there are threads that I simply ignore for anything other than moderation needs.

At the grub prompt type in
Code:
ls

you should get an output like (hd0) (hd0,msdos1) or (hd1) (hd1,msdos1)

now we need to find the boot directory

run ls [partiton name] so if ls does indeed show (hd0,msdos1) that would be
Code:
ls (hd0,msdos1)
an example output should be - lost+found var/ dev/ run/ etc/ tmp/ sys/ proc/ usr/ boot/ home/ lib lib64 and so on what we are looking for is boot/

if it is there we now need to set the boot partition as the value of the root variable

Code:
set root=(hd0,msdos1)

now we need to load the normal boot mode

Code:
insmod normal

now start the normal boot mode

Code:
normal

now we can load the kernel

Code:
linux /boot/vmlinuz-yourkernelversion root=/dev/sda1 ro

example - linux /boot/vmlinuz-6.1.0-18-amd64 root=/dev/sda1 ro

issue the boot command
Code:
boot

and hopefully your system boots

Considering that it is on the downloads page, shouldn't there be caveats to that effect?
I saw enough warnings specifically for newbies, i.e. ME to take a pass on Kali for a while.

If can't figure that out on there own...

Well, I'll leave the rest of that unspoken...
Another instance in which I really wish I could use the laughing icon at least 10 times.

As it stands, the Kali LInux subforum has as its top two, pinned threads

Kali Linux Forum - README BEFORE POSTING IN HERE
Maybe the very first thread should look something like this

WARNING TO FIRST TIME USERS OF KALI

Put all the things people are saying here in that first thread. Tell them the scary stuff, like bricking your computer. I personally saw a lot of warnings and that's why I haven't even thought of installing it. I know I'm nowhere near being able to take on that project... YET!

Welcome to the Forum.
1715752615330.gif

You might be better off trying more user friendly Distros like...Mint...Linux Lite...Kubuntu or Xubuntu.
1715752795119.gif

At the grub prompt type in
Code:
ls

you should get an output like (hd0) (hd0,msdos1) or (hd1) (hd1,msdos1)

now we need to find the boot directory

run ls [partiton name] so if ls does indeed show (hd0,msdos1) that would be
Code:
ls (hd0,msdos1)
an example output should be - lost+found var/ dev/ run/ etc/ tmp/ sys/ proc/ usr/ boot/ home/ lib lib64 and so on what we are looking for is boot/

if it is there we now need to set the boot partition as the value of the root variable

Code:
set root=(hd0,msdos1)

now we need to load the normal boot mode

Code:
insmod normal

now start the normal boot mode

Code:
normal

now we can load the kernel

Code:
linux /boot/vmlinuz-yourkernelversion root=/dev/sda1 ro

example - linux /boot/vmlinuz-6.1.0-18-amd64 root=/dev/sda1 ro