Easy distros for new members

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
I've been ask a few time recently by linux Newbies which is the easiest Linux distro to start with?
So here is my list and it my opinion only.
In the order I'd recommend the. (Note: I'm sure others would have differing lists.
1. Linux mint - solid easy to learn and works on most hardware out of the box.
2. MX-21- I prefer KDE but xfce is good also. this distro has just about everything you will ever need.
3. PClinuxOS - comes with a ton of installed applications. - semi roling release model. and again quite stable.
4. Spiral /gecko Linux -- clones of Debian and Open SUSE with much of the newbie stuff added for convenience.
5. Debian - Has a learning Curve, but is solid and does not change fast.
6. Puppy or antix for older machines. Learning curves but not bad and they just work.
7. Nobara - for those that want to learn Fedora, this one does a lot of the work for you on set up.

List subject to change and I'm sure Others will add to it.
I myself am currently using Fedora 39 KDE on this machine and it's working great. But if your new to Linux you have a learning hill to climb.
Good luck what ever you choose to try. If you are very new to linux computing please don't try to use Kali as your first distro.

5. Debian - Has a learning Curve, but is solid and does not change fast.
Well I think that's a little misleading. It's practically the same deal as Mint and Ubuntu (they are all debian derivative), you just have to learn a couple more command line things:

1. For shutdown, it doesn't have the easier commands by default (with the symlinks), it's just "systemctl poweroff" and "systemctl reboot". I just learned something new also:

2. You always have to add yourself as a sudoer with debian in order to install the packages, but after that, it's pretty much the same experience as the more popular debian variants.

The whole purpose debian is it's a much smaller system that's more in line with a strict open-source philosophy. IMO, it ain't "more advanced"

While I'm biased, I'd add Lubuntu to the mix. It's dead simple and everything is where you'd expect it to be. The installation process is the same as it is for many distros.

While I'm biased, I'd add Lubuntu to the mix. It's dead simple and everything is where you'd expect it to be. The installation process is the same as it is for many distros.
What does it lack? Simple is normally better, but im curious about what it doesnt have.

I'm a rpm guy, we use RPM based distro's where I work so it's what I'm familiar with.
There's nothing wrong with Ubuntu or Mint, but to be honest I find them no easier to install or use than fedora.

You should all know my answer to this, I do not recommend but may suggest if requested

THE BEST DISTRIBUTION
Is the one that works best on your machine, The one you like the look and feel of, the one that lets you perform your daily tasks. What is best for me or any other member, Is not necessarily the best for you,

What does it lack? Simple is normally better, but im curious about what it doesnt have.

Nothing, really. It comes with the software you may need regularly/immediately. It's not bloated and runs well on slower hardware as it uses LXQt. It's a pretty solid distro, or I'd not have used it for all these years. I like it well enough to be involved in the project directly.

My contributions are on the testing side. I think I'm still an official member, but I'm not 100% sure. I did take a couple of months off. It was a hectic time and I suffered device failures and that interrupted my schedule. But, I'm back testing the daily .iso drops again.

It comes with a solid set of default applications. As it's an Ubuntu flavor, all that software and support applies to Lubuntu. I'm pretty happy with it. I've used Lubuntu almost from the beginning of its life.

In the order I'd recommend the. (Note: I'm sure others would have differing lists.
1. Linux mint - solid easy to learn and works on most hardware out of the box.
Well, one good thing for newbies starting off with Mint is the fact that Mint's forums are very newbie-friendly, unlike others I've heard about where if you ask a typical newbie question they'll rip you a new one.

I really don't think there's a Distro that's easy for any beginner.
t2611.gif

@kc1di - Dave I really like your list. But then I may be biased because I either do run or have run all of them. :)

@Vimmer - not mentioned in your linked article are two simple ones I use for Debian all the time.

Code:
sudo init 0 # for shutdown

# and

sudo init 6 # for a reboot

For the 'buntus and Mints, you don't even need the sudo.

Cheers

Wizard

I would add Ubuntu to that list, as for any Ubuntu-based distribution.
THE BEST DISTRIBUTION
Is the one that works best on your machine, The one you like the look and feel of, the one that lets you perform your daily tasks. What is best for me or any other member, Is not necessarily the best for you,
Any distribution can let you perform your tasks on them, generally main stream hardware will be good on any distribution. Older hardware will do better on the distributions focused on being lightweight.

Well, one good thing for newbies starting off with Mint is the fact that Mint's forums are very newbie-friendly, unlike others I've heard about where if you ask a typical newbie question they'll rip you a new one.
That is so true and unfortunate about unfriendliness toward newbies!
But you forgot linux.org, it's the very first reason why I decided to spend my time here rather than somewhere else.

I really don't think there's a Distro that's easy for any beginner.
Agree, no matter which distro every beginner will have to go trough frustrations typical for a beginner.
After some 6 months or so of dedicated usage of linux a beginner should feel more comfortable to solve problems on their own regardless of distro they're using.

I would add two Arch-based Distros, being

Arcolinux
EndeavourOS

They are, IMO
  • Beginner friendly
  • Well supported with their Forums and other assistance
  • Well equipped OOTB
  • Unlike Manjaro, they do not throw a Kernel Panic when another Distro is added to your machine (don't ask why here, as off-topic)
Wiz

Would be an Arch Based beginner friendly distro

Snap

After some 6 months or so of dedicated usage of linux a beginner should feel more comfortable to solve problems on their own regardless of distro they're using.
I will attest to that. It took me a few months to find this forum. And only an additional few days to realize that the fix for pretty much any "OS" related issue I may have has already been covered somewhere on this site. It's all a matter of searching for the correct terminology. The terminology is the part this noob has issues with :)

Members online