Desktop shuts down unexpectedly (Solved)

Could it be worth going back to 21.2, I was wondering about the experimental wayland stuff that's in 21.3, might that have something to do with it
The machine is running X, so wayland has nothing to do with it. The machine runs the i915 driver, so it needs all the firmware for that driver.

Ignore that you have a desktop and i have a lappy the GPU is the same, this is my inxi

wizard@the-answer-42:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.7 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.9 driver: X:
loaded: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa dri: crocus gpu: i915
resolution: 1366x768~60Hz
API: OpenGL v: 2.1 Mesa 22.3.6 renderer:

When a new version of Mint (21.3) comes out it does have some bugs...it's wise to wait till they're fixed...when ever that might be.

It might be a good idea to do a clean install of either 21.1 or 21.2 as all are supported till 2027. I have Mint Cinnamon 21.1 running on a 12 year old Laptop and it runs just fine with no problems...it's worth a try.
m1212.gif

In post #1, firefox-122 was the problem with "shuts down", but in post #13, the Epiphany browser works.

Therefore it may be worth disabling hardware acceleration just in firefox to see if that makes a difference. To do that select the General section in Settings, then the Performance tickbox and under that you can disable hardware acceleration for firefox. That will not disable hardware acceleration for the whole system, rather it disables for just the firefox browser, which is a much more functional approach than disabling hardware acceleration for the whole graphical system.

Therefore it may be worth disabling hardware acceleration just in firefox to see if that makes a difference.

^ THIS

You could try disabling hardware acceleration...it may work but I have Firefox 122 with Hardware Acceleration enabled and no problems on both Laptop and Tower.

About a year ago I installed Mint Cinnamon 21.1 and had a few problems...one was my internet stopped working...couldn't understand why as it's never happened before...Home Folder had only 4 Folders too.

I downloaded it again from a different mirror on Mints site of cause...problem solved...so it's worth a try.
m1212.gif

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I will post back if & when I have some success with this, I'll try all the suggestions one by one and see where it takes me

In Linux mint 21.3 cinnamon, in Firefox 122 when I click on a link to something the desktop session shuts down & I'm back at the login screen, first time it happened I was on the Google chrome download page, I clicked the download for Linux link, second time I was logged into a banking site, there was a "You have an unread message" link, on both occasions it was immediate shutdown, I installed chromium from the software centre just to test just to test it & the same thing happened, so I'm guessing it's not browser specific. What could be causing this?
Thanks.
If all of a sudden your desktop shut downs, then here are some following measures to troubleshoot the issues.
Check System Logs:
Check out your system logs for getting any clues. You can check the logs using the
Code:
journalctl –xe
command in the terminal.
System Updates:
Ensure your system is fully updated. You can execute the following commands to make it happen.
Code:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
Power Settings
Sometimes advanced power saving settings also leads to the issue. Hence, check the setting both in BIOS/UEFI.
Kernel Issues
Always boot with a different kernel version if you have multiple installed.

I have now found a satisfactory workaround but I don't know what the cause was. I have tried a multitude of different browsers all of which I had the problem with, Epiphany browser works fine but it's very minimal and does not allow add-ons so it's no use to me then finally I tried Waterfox & it works without the issue even though it it's a fork of Firefox. I have set it up with all the same add-ons and theme so it looks and works just like Firefox did but I can now click on links and they work without a problem.
I would have liked to have found out the reason but I'm happy that it works.
A big thank you to all that helped me as always.

Latest posts