Desktop enviroments

I've been asked lately what my favorite DE is by a couple people. Usually when when one or two ask other are curious.
So here is my list in order of my preference.
1. KDE/plasma
2. Cinnamon
3. XFCE4
4. LXQT
5. JWM
Just my opinion others will vary.
You will notice gnome is not on my list. Though I have tried to like it many times :(
I like Cinnamon and XFCE. Hate Gnome.

Yes, but how many of you are running WindowsXP ( don't ask ) MATE, XFce, KDE and Gnome all at the same time?

Face it, you all wish you had WindowsXP! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2024-03-16 08-24-21.png
    Screenshot at 2024-03-16 08-24-21.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 275

I've mentioned this before but I actually sort of miss Windows ME. If you had just the right combination of hardware, it ran fine. It was objectively terrible compared to today's operating systems but even came with a functional restore!

XP was also objectively terrible. It wasn't secure enough, it was full of bugs, it suffered from bitrot, required activation, etc... I think we look back on it with rose-tinted glasses.

Of course, by the time XP rolled around, I had already experienced many other operating systems. I had a lot to compare and contrast it with.

I may be a kindergarten student in Linux, but I can definitely comment on this one. Vista hadn't been released yet, another forgettable OS. In college, it was still XP. I was learning how to use heavy duty resource consuming software, among them was 3D rendering and CAD software. Working with 3D software was the worst and it wasn't any easier with the Pro 64 bit edition. Moving around in 3D space was a literal nightmare if you were still working in layers. I took a 30 minute nap every time I changed the scene while I waited on XP to catch up.

Specifically I noticed this:

On some hardware, no matter what you did, it ran poorly with poor stability. We're talking an uptime of a few days was problematic.

If you had just the right hardware (a device that came with ME specifically, usually) it wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was quite good and innovative.

Nowadays, I only use Xfce4
Count me in. Whatever make my life easy.

I used to like K3b and kTorrent, but I have no need for them anymore - even in those days, I never used KDE, I'd rather install these packages only.

On some hardware, no matter what you did, it ran poorly with poor stability. We're talking an uptime of a few days was problematic.

If you had just the right hardware (a device that came with ME specifically, usually) it wasn't bad at all. In fact, it was quite good and innovative.

The first desktop I bought was a Compaq. Generic everything.

That's the one I had when I needed friends to explain the difference between "Start" on the monitor's screen and "Start" on the actual hardware... One turned on the monitor... The other opened up the menu. I'm not kidding! I was that illiterate!

My next desktop was a much better computer. The Core II Quad processor had just been released, 64 bit. Still had XP, but it was pro edition. It was 2nd year in college. I still had to do something for 30 minutes. Windows 7 was better.. I only had 20 minutes for a nap.

It wasn't until I got a gaming computer that things got so much better. That's why I still have one now. I actually need it.

I just installed KDE Plasma6 (wayland) on my openSuSE VM.
It does... ummm... run, but I'm not sure it's ready for prime time.
It requires a couple of manual hacks to make it work, and even then
everything doesn't work.

I might add If you upgrade to a newer version of a distro, I.E. Ubuntu, Mint and others I normally do a clean install instead of an upgrade. Just my preference. and it gets rid of older stuff that is no longer needed in the newer version.

Staff online

Members online