Desktop enviroments

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
I've been asked lately what my favorite DE is by a couple people. Usually when when one or two ask other are curious.
So here is my list in order of my preference.
1. KDE/plasma
2. Cinnamon
3. XFCE4
4. LXQT
5. JWM
Just my opinion others will vary.
You will notice gnome is not on my list. Though I have tried to like it many times :(

Last edited:

Have never used it, how much worse or better is XFCE compared to KDE?
what features one has that the other doesn't?

That's absolutely fine, believe me!
I don't know that I can say KDE/Xfce are better or worse than each other, It's more that they are different both use about the same amount of system resources and Both can be highly customized. Only way to know is use the both. XFCE was my go to DE for many years. Some things are a little less gui centric with it compared to KDE. Again thats my opinion not based of scientific fact :)

May be useful.

1. KDE/plasma
2. Cinnamon
3. XFCE4
4. LXQT
5. JWM

I use the command line 90% of the time. :)
But on my desktop I run MATE.
I kind of like Budgie.
I am thinking of trying something called Cosmic.
Like you... not a big fan of Gnome. But I can see the appeal of kids who live on their cell phones.

You will notice gnome is not on my list. Though I have tried to like it many times :(
Like you... not a big fan of Gnome. But I can see the appeal of kids who live on their cell phones.
I like Gnome because it has similarities to the workflow of a tiling window manager without having to configure every part of my setup manually. I don't currently use a tiling window manager at home anymore, but I do use one at work but have i3wm setup to be the window manager for my Xfce desktop so I can use other Xfce functionalities if I like.

I use the command line 90% of the time. :)
But on my desktop I run MATE.
I kind of like Budgie.
I am thinking of trying something called Cosmic.
I've never used Budgie and didn't know Cosmic had been released by system 76 yet. But will try it when it is. It's a take off of Gnome though. So will see. I used mate for awhile it didn't work for me that well but that was some time ago.

didn't know Cosmic had been released by system 76 yet.

I guess it's out for Pop_OS, there is also a Fedora Beta repository for it.

It's a take off of Gnome though.

Kind of, it sort of has a Gnome look and feel, but is totally re-written in Rust.
The beta version has a lot of stuff that doesn't work right yet, but I have to say this is
the quickest most responsive desktop I have ever used. The old desktop isn't "slow".
But sometimes it takes a quarter of a second or so for some windows to come up and have the content in them
populate. Cosmic is so fast it seems the windows pop up before my mouse button pops back up.

Supposedly fedora and redhat are dropping X11 support by release 41. It remains to be seen if MATE will be ready
to move over to Wayland by then.

I can't recall exactly, but it must have been around 2004 to 2006 when I switched from GNOME to Xfce4. It felt smoother. KDE didn't appeal to me at the time. Nowadays, I only use Xfce4

KDE used to be my favorite, since i got NVIDIA GPU I decided to stay on Gnome. Desktop isn't so responsive on KDE. Tried some tricks from google & reddit i found but didn't help :(:D

I guess it's out for Pop_OS, there is also a Fedora Beta repository for it.
Kind of, it sort of has a Gnome look and feel, but is totally re-written in Rust.
I may try it out if it's similar to Gnome, since it's available in the AUR, but hopefully it will at some point end up in the official repos if it's liked by enough people.

Last edited:
I've only used Mate since I've been on Linux (10 years). If I had to make a switch, Xfce would be the first I'd try.

Love XFCE on my Slackware installation. It's been incredibly stable for 10 years plus.

On other distro's (respins of Ubuntu) I saw that some runtime lib's were either missing or were old and the DE didn't perform all that well and was slow.

For my Devuan and Debian install's I run and like Mate and Cinnamon.

I really like Gnome however it just doesn't play well on this machine.

@kc1di have you tried the Trinity DE or the Pantheon DE?

Love XFCE on my Slackware installation. It's been incredibly stable for 10 years plus.

On other distro's (respins of Ubuntu) I saw that some runtime lib's were either missing or were old and the DE didn't perform all that well and was slow.

For my Devuan and Debian install's I run and like Mate and Cinnamon.

I really like Gnome however it just doesn't play well on this machine.

@kc1di have you tried the Trinity DE or the Pantheon DE?
I've tried Trinity but never seriously. I never tried Pantheon. I usually end back up on KDE. Though so far have not been that impressed with KDE 6. I may give Trinity another go at some point. If I was to give up on KDE I would most likely go back to XFCE. I like Cinnamon but not enough to use it all the time. Just my preferences I guess.

I've tried Trinity but never seriously. I never tried Pantheon. I usually end back up on KDE. Though so far have not been that impressed with KDE 6. I may give Trinity another go at some point. If I was to give up on KDE I would most likely go back to XFCE. I like Cinnamon but not enough to use it all the time. Just my preferences I guess.
I can understand why you would revert back to XFCE if you abandon KDE.
I like my KDE on my Slackware installation.
In some was KDE looks a little different on other distro's....just not the same as how Patrick designed it.

What is it about the new KDE 6 that your not impressed with?

It's Cinnamon for me.
1710553957227.gif

Members online