Debian 10 and Firefox 91.6 ESR VS. The Current Version of Firefox >SOLVED

Is testing challenging?

Very. Well, it can be exhausting. It's a very deliberate and repetitive process. It's at least an hour a day but I'll often use the live instances for as long as four to six hours - testing things out.

I go through every application, every day... Well, I have a manifest of what changes, so I don't always do that. But, plan on an hour for testing in a VM and testing again on bare metal.

I don't fix packages. I mean, I could but I don't feel that comfortable with my rusty programming. Instead, I narrow it down as much as possible.

Today, I filed a trivial bug. I do mean trivial... Here's a link:

It may not look like it, but hours have gone into that bug report. I don't swamp them with data, however. I simply state where I've tested it and confirmed it. I've confirmed it with other people as well.

It's not done, either. That'll get filed upstream (as we've already deduced it's not something we're in charge of) after more people have confirmed it.

And that's a trivial bug... Others take much longer to test...

Eventually, it'll be triaged as low priority but a fix will likely come from above, make it into Debian, make it into Lubuntu, and get tested by me to see if it's really gone.

But, that's what I do. I find those things - trivial or not - and do so by way of diligent testing. It's a pretty big time sink but I don't mind. Someone has to do it.

From what you've said it does sound exhausting and bug reports are seriously time consuming.
If you're retired like me you have time for things of this nature.

Enjoying what you do is a plus.
I certainly hope that's the case for you. And yeah, someone does have to do it so Thank You!

Happy Testing mate.

Cheers,
Alex

If you're retired like me you have time for things of this nature.

i'm long since 'retired' on a technical level. However, I keep obligating myself to more and more things instead of just keeping my time for myself. When I undertook the duty of testing, I undertook it to the best of my ability. I didn't want to be a casual helper, I wanted to be a member of the team who made a better product.

I do enjoy it. I learn so much. Oh my... Being able to access a dev with just a single ping in a topical/private chat room is handy. There's just so much expertise there.

I kinda like it when I can get them to say, "I don't know." or "I'm not sure."

That pleases me.

i'm long since 'retired' on a technical level. However, I keep obligating myself to more and more things instead of just keeping my time for myself. When I undertook the duty of testing, I undertook it to the best of my ability. I didn't want to be a casual helper, I wanted to be a member of the team who made a better product.

I do enjoy it. I learn so much. Oh my... Being able to access a dev with just a single ping in a topical/private chat room is handy. There's just so much expertise there.

I kinda like it when I can get them to say, "I don't know." or "I'm not sure."

That pleases me.
Dedication is rewarding.
That's really cool that you can chat with a dev .
I'd be asking them all kinds of questions and get inside of their heads to be able to learn how to think like they do.

I do a lot of research online and learn all sorts of things aside from the art work I do.
Spending the better part of the last 4 weeks studying and learning about Stratospheric Aerosol Injection was really intriguing and educational. I'm not however; in favor of the chemicals that are being injected into our upper atmosphere.

I'd be asking them all kinds of questions and get inside of their heads to be able to learn how to think like they do.

I try to be respectful of their time. There's usually a public meeting, where you could come hobnob with the team, but we haven't had a public meeting in a while. I suspect we will resume meetings (they're via IRC) as the 22.04 release date arrives.

I try to be respectful of their time. There's usually a public meeting, where you could come hobnob with the team, but we haven't had a public meeting in a while. I suspect we will resume meetings (they're via IRC) as the 22.04 release date arrives.
Understood respectfully so.

Maybe one day David you could become a developer.
That is if you want to.

Thank you for all that you do.

Have a good weekend!

Last edited:
Our Administror and our Moderators are the ones with the authority to close a thread.

Maybe one day David you could become a developer.

I don't expect to do so. I don't really want to do so.

Also, my coding skills are woefully inadequate. I haven't done any serious programming in years. I feel my time is best used elsewhere and testing is my niche. I'm pretty good at it, if I do say so myself!

As it is, I already have enough 'Impostor Syndrome' - that's where I feel I've been promoted beyond my ability. My account has the ability to do all sorts of stuff - without any real oversight. I could change documentation for example. Heck, I can edit posts from other people. I could assign bug priorities and stuff like that.

I don't feel qualified to do all sorts of that stuff. In time I'll test the waters of more responsibility - perhaps. Right now, it's a perfect fit. I've reached the point where I can do my testing at the same time I do other things. Finding the time for testing is made easier by that.

Happy Testing brother-:)

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your weekend.

Members online

Latest posts