marbles

Reaction score
Credits
i get this problem regulary and its soooooo annoying

i'm trying to
copy from libre office calc
to
internet browser

if i use the keyboard shortcut copy (ctrl-c), and then keyboard board shortcut paste (ctrl-v)
it won't work

its worked many times before, i'm doing simple stuff that you all do regularly do

BUT
if i use the mouse (right click-copy), and then keyboard board shortcut paste (ctrl-v)
it works

i doubt you can help me as its such a unique thing but you are all smart on here so i thought i'd ask

only thing that fixes it is a restart.........soo annoying

sorry for the stupid question as i know you are all trying to solve more complex problems

Last edited:

You’re having problems because ctrl v is the shortcut for paste, not ctrl p.

ctrl c to copy
ctrl x to cut
ctrl v to paste
Those keybinds are pretty universal in GUI applications, in Windows and Linux.

ctrl p is often the shortcut for print. As in send document to printer.

Just throwing this in.. you didn't mention terminal copy/paste, but that'd be ctrl-shift-c and ctrl-shift-v. Give those a try.. perhaps calc uses that instead?

What LibreOffice version? What browser? What distro? What desktop environment? Wayland or Xorg(X11)? What keyboard layout?

see this is why i will NEVER be able to get help with linux. do u really think that you have the identical version as me for ALL of those programs. of course not.

YOU WIN. i give up.

obviously its a complex problem which is why you're asking me all of those things. but its unrealistic to get help with linux

no need to respond. YOU WON.

i don't use terminal. forget it. i give up. i'll just do a restart which i always do
Dont be put off by the mention of the word terminal

The terminal is not my preferred way to do this things either. Although as I become a little more proficient it is growing on me....slowly!
-----------------------------------------------------

Have a look at @Tolkem's questions.....they will at least keep you away from terminal.

and btw....you asked how many bathrooms etc etc?

regardless of terminal its unrealistic to get help with linux based on how many programs that person asked, and the version of those programs.

everyone has been nice to me on here. and i appreciate that. but its impossible to get help with linux

i'm surprised at how many people keep responding. YOU WIN. i give up. you should be happy. 1 less idiot to help

1 less idiot to help
well.....I disagree.
its impossible to get help with linux
again....I disagree. 49000 members on linux.org, disagree

The only thing that will make it near impossible....is you.

Does your age restrict you ?....that is a genuine question. There are many on here who sometimes struggle for that very reason.

i get this problem regulary and its soooooo annoying

i'm trying to
to
internet browser

if i use the keyboard shortcut copy (ctrl-c), and then keyboard board shortcut paste (ctrl-v)
it won't work

its worked many times before, i'm doing simple stuff that you all do regularly do

BUT
if i use the mouse (right click-copy), and then keyboard board shortcut paste (ctrl-v)
it works

i doubt you can help me as its such a unique thing but you are all smart on here so i thought i'd ask

sorry for the stupid question as i know you are all trying to solve more complex problems
Greetings Marbles, and welcome to Linux Org!
I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind answering them.
1 - When you say you are trying to copy from LibreOffice Calc to internet browser; which internet browser are you referring to? Is it Microsoft Edge or Firefox or some other browser?
2 - Where in the browser are you trying to paste? Is it in the Address bar or the Search bar or somewhere else?
Hopefully you will take the time to answer these simple questions.
Thanks a bunch.
Old Geezer Tango Charlie

I can sense the frustration and discouragement in @marbles' comments here. Nobody here wants marbles to leave; nobody "wins" if that happens. Everyone here is willing to put in the effort to help, except marbles.

In my opinion, people here are asking reasonable questions to get a better understanding of marble's configuration and the problem. If it weren't Linux, marbles would be getting very similar questions, regardless of which operating system was involved.

marbles wants to blame Linux, and claims that "its impossible to get help with linux". I strongly disagree, and this thread is no example for marbles to cite. Aside from the initial post and answering the question about CTRL-P, marbles has not cooperated with attempts to help, and has made it very clear that they want to give up.

marbles may have forgotten what it took to learn the basic computer skills that they take for granted today. Learning to use anything worthwhile takes effort. The sad thing is that marbles will blame Linux, and that is not fair.

My recommendation to others is to let marbles give up. marbles made it abundantly clear that they do not want to work on solving this problem any longer. Why continue if marbles refuses?

To @marbles:
Give up, but don't blame Linux. Many people came to your aid, but you refused to answer reasonable, basic "information gathering" questions from those who offered to help. The help came at no cost to marbles, other than asking for a bit of effort, which was too much.

The direction this thread took is sad, especially for marbles.

do u really think that you have the identical version as me for ALL of those programs. of course not.
Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, if you provide that info, I or someone else (even you) could do a web search to find if that's some kind of bug in the specific version you're using, hopefully it's been reported and some solution may have been provided. For instance, I'm using LibreOffice latest version 7.5. Distro KDE Neon Testing. Desktop KDE Plasma on X11 (sometimes Wayland, where these kinds of things can happen). Browser Firefox. I don't have this problem. Is it really that difficult to answer those simple questions? Whatever distro you're on, there probably is a tool to see most of that info. For LibreOffice, start some instance (writer, calc, spreadsheet) and look under "About" to know the exact version you're using.

I sense issues here, and self esteem factors into at least one of them.

@marbles I have 8 mental health disorders, listed here https://www.linux.org/threads/mental-well-being-and-coping-strategies.29492/post-95432 , and yet I adapted to Linux and the Boss made me an Administrator (go figure :p )

With 6 or 7 (well-meaning) people going rat-a-tat-tat with the questions, it may be hard for the OP to focus.

Perhaps I can structure some questions for the OP.

i'm trying to
to
internet browser

1. Can you show us a screenshot of the cell or cells you are trying to copy, and let us know why to your Browser? If you have not provided a screenshot before, read here. Read it all first. https://www.linux.org/threads/posting-screenshots-at-this-site-read-this-for-easy-way.21722/

2. Which Browser do you use? Firefox? If not, which?

3. We're in Mint so I guess you are using a Mint. Which one? If you are not sure, go bottom left to Start button, start to type in

welcome

and OK it. On the popup, read the bottom right-hand corner and tell us what it says.

If you can answer those 3 questions to begin with, that will be a good start for helping us to help you.

None of this is dumb or stupid. IME (In My Experience) I have found that there can be plenty of people queuing up to kick you when you are down. No need to give them a headstart by putting yourself down. :)

If it is all too much when you read this, leave it to another time when you feel up to it.

We have plenty of others to annoy help, so we won't be idle.

Cheers and

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

it won't work

BUT
it works
If ctrl+v does work and ctrl+c doesn't copy maybe you have a defect c key on your keyboard but also try copying from a different application what happens then. Try connecting another keyboard to your desktop or laptop and see what happens then when you try to copy using ctrl+c and then pasting?

Last edited:
BUT
it works

Why don't you use the mouse for both copy/paste...I always do and never have problems.
m1213.gif

i don't appreciate everyone twisting my words around.

so please allow me to repeat myself verbatim

like i said - that one person listed many many many programs, and within those programs theres many many many versions

as nice as everyone is on here, who is going to install all of those identical versions on their computer to help me. nobody. AND THEY SHOULDN'T.

so heres a question everyone forgot to ask - if i knew it was an impossible problem, why did i even bother to post it

good question - now you're all listening to me :)

i thought maybe, JUST MAYBE, that this was some major problem that would be recognizable. thats the only reason i posted.

can we agree on one thing - i was dumb enough to think that in the first place. you cannot diagnose linux problems. too many programs involved, too many versions of those programs involved (i've heard that somewhere else, i can't remember where)

thanks everyone for reading. everyone is so nice here - how nice?

good question - see you guys are starting to listen to me ;)

everyone is so nice on here, that when i tell you give up. that you still try to help me ;)

i give up

You sell us short.

We have far more knowledge than you give us credit for

We do not need to install all those versions in order to give you an accurate answer.

It is only an impossible problem from your point of view...

We ask various questions in an attempt to get a different angle on the problem. We have a membership of approx 50,000 people...in amongst that membership resides some of the best Linux brains on the planet. That is not a boast....it is a fact.

Are you listening ?.....Do we have your attention yet ?

We can tell you where to find the version numbers etc etc that @Tolkem asked for and indeed where to find/how to do whatever else was asked of or suggested to you.

Your turn

ps. You can google and or ddg the entire internet in an effort to find a group "nicer" etc than us. We pride ourselves on being nice....but more importantly as being genuine.

Well expressed. :)

I'm going to close of this Thread for now (lock it) but The Boss @Rob or other staff can unlock or otherwise have input if need be.

The OP has said

i give up

and there is no point in going further, for now. If he wishes to resume it at a later date, he can open a Conversation with me or another Staffer.

I will say though, to

who is going to install all of those identical versions on their computer to help me. nobody

Chances are, I already have them in my stable. I run 84 Linux. Others here have been known to install the subject distro on a VM (virtual machine such as VirtualBox) to further get an idea of what is the problem. That latter only takes a few minutes.

And
if i knew it was an impossible problem, why did i even bother to post it

I doubt that it is impossible.

However we are flying blind if we cannot get answers to the questions we pose. If you don't understand the questions, ask, and we will clarify.

Anyway, enough.

Thanks as always to our wonderful Helpers. You know how much you mean to me and to us - the site.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts