Can't boot from USB

it should the options as to what to boot [HDD/USB/DVD?etc.], make sure the usb is in the slot before you switch on and quickly tickle F9 whilst you switch on.

You could use Banshee it is similar to iTunes and so is Cider

You could use Banshee it is similar to iTunes and so is Cider
Thanks for the recommendation, it's more a case I still have iTunes credit; I'll definitely check those out in time.

I am one of those typical blokes who is apparently hard to buy for, so it's vouchers then lol, these days Amazon, back in the day it was iTunes; I've had them years! Apparently Aston Martin's even second hand, silver with blue interior are hard to come by, hence the vouchers ;)

Last edited:
Apologies@ KGIII, edited that post to remove Links.

I'd have let it pass, as it seems you were just being conversational.

We're ranked #1 on the various search engines. We get a whole lot of spam. Some of them are pretty clever about it but we do our best to keep it from reaching the forum in the first place.

Anyhow, think of the queen king and carry on.

it should the options as to what to boot [HDD/USB/DVD?etc.], make sure the usb is in the slot before you switch on and quickly tickle F9 whilst you switch on.
Thanks Brickwizard, that worked perfectly.

For the time being I reinstalled Windows 10 as I still wanted iTunes, reliable Networking and a quality version of solitaire. I could achieve some sort of Networking but it was unreliable, iTunes no matter what I did I could not get to install and solitaire was no where near as good as Microsoft. I was surprised that W10 was also quicker and far smoother in use than Linux Mint Cinnamon, even though most reviews state LM would be quicker. In comparison it was very clunky scrolling through pages and YouTube videos would stutter to the point I would not use them, I was watching quite a few tutorials on Linux but gave up in the end and used my other Laptop. All these factors combined to influence my decision to go back to W10; for now....

I will revisit come October 2025 as I do bank online and want something secure, but I guess I need to do more research as to which Linux version suits best. Perhaps Linux Mint Xfce would be quicker on my system, by then I could have used my iTunes credit up plus I dare say I could make do with the inferior solitaire.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply Brickwizard, very much appreciated

Last edited:
which Linux version suits best. Perhaps Linux Mint Xfce
on my HP desktop [2015 vintage] I run Mint LMDE [its a smidgen faster than Mint 23] on my 14 yr old dell lappy I also run Mint LMDE with the back up options of Parrot home and MX. [the only thing to say for the HP lappy, if not already done so, then swap out the plate spinner HDD for an SSD]

on my HP desktop [2015 vintage] I run Mint LMDE [its a smidgen faster than Mint 23] on my 14 yr old dell lappy I also run Mint LMDE with the back up options of Parrot home and MX. [the only thing to say for the HP lappy, if not already done so, then swap out the plate spinner HDD for an SSD]
Thanks again, mine appear to be HDD, is it straightforward to swap to SDD; sounds complex? Along the same lines I had thought I'd investigate to see if it was easy to add more Ram, I'd fear I'd break something if I tried doing either of those things, as it stands both are still working; I don't want to accelerate their demise lol

I will definitely revisit come 10/25, I quite like the thought that I would not be tied to Microsoft; as I said upthread I have been using Libre Office for years so knew Open Source as alternative was viable. The fact that it wasn't as good as I'd hoped is a deal breaker for now only; not forever. Next time I will research more, as it was clunky and slower, which goes against the reviews; that probably translates to me doing something wrong with the set up, plus I feel more care in what I choose is needed.

My intention before going back to W10 was try another version and I did make a Xfce USB flash drive in exactly the same way that I mad the Cinnamon one, but it didn't work, so I gave up and just made it into a W10 version instead. The Laptop actually has low spec interms of Ram @ 4gb but quite high interms of storage in @ 1Tb, if next time instead of a clean install I run it alongside Windows with a partition will that have an impact on both, or as I would open them independently they would run as if they were the only OS?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts