[boring greeting here]

Julie Generic

Reaction score
Credits
Welp, so many pop up ads, not gonna spend much time in forums (I hope).
I've used linux before, a long time ago, right now I'm just trying to figure out how to set up Nicotine so I can get back to downloading music and doing a podcast. I'm on a dumpstered Dell Inspirion 1545 because I can burn and rip on it. Been looking for the download thread but I'm wallowing in pop-ups.
Blah blah blah, me, me, me, thanks for all the fish.

Welcome aboard the HMS Linux.org.

For obvious legal reasons, we're not going to help you pirate music although I'd recommend uBlock Origin (a browser extension) on a computer that old. It'll help keep your resource usage down as you browse the web as it blocks ads.

Even without ad blockers I don't get any pop ups in Linux.org

Welcome aboard the HMS Linux.org.

For obvious legal reasons, we're not going to help you pirate music although I'd recommend uBlock Origin (a browser extension) on a computer that old. It'll help keep your resource usage down as you browse the web as it blocks ads.
Thanks!

New keyboard & battery,
If it's the model I mentioned, then it's the same as mine. I replaced the keypad some 10 yrs ago when I was given it, [keys were all gummed up with nail varnish [sloppy daughter], I am on my 3rd new battery and the screen has two vertical lines of shot pixels. Recently, I swapped out the old plate spinner HDD for a SSD that added a bit of speed, and so she still plods on.[ I am using it as I type]

If it's the model I mentioned, then it's the same as mine. I replaced the keypad some 10 yrs ago when I was given it, [keys were all gummed up with nail varnish [sloppy daughter], I am on my 3rd new battery and the screen has two vertical lines of shot pixels. Recently, I swapped out the old plate spinner HDD for a SSD that added a bit of speed, and so she still plods on.[ I am using it as I type]
Impressive! I miss my old IBM thinkpad. Before Lenovo got em. Speed isn't too bad, I did get Nicotine up and running and she's going pretty quick, actually. DL's romping. Model pp41L.
How do you replace the HDD? I'm all about upcycling and am of the opinion that older models are better, including everything.

How do you replace the HDD?
On older Dells, it's easy, with the machine in front of you, on the front of the left-hand side is the HDD bay. Switch off the machine, close the lid and turn the machine onto the lid, you will see 2 small screws, remove them and draw out the HDD carrier, IF you put in an SSD it will not fit the carrier [I just plugged mine straight in]

On older Dells, it's easy, with the machine in front of you, on the front of the left-hand side is the HDD bay. Switch off the machine, close the lid and turn the machine onto the lid, you will see 2 small screws, remove them and draw out the HDD carrier, IF you put in an SSD it will not fit the carrier [I just plugged mine straight in]
I see what you are saying...good instructions, thanks! Next question, lost on the ssd thing...I just watched a video on disassembling the ram, processor and hd...sooo easy on this model! These newer laptops won't even let you change the battery...so, I guess I'm a little confused on where you plugged in the ssd?

just watched a video on disassembling the ram, processor and hd..
Be very careful of YouTube videos, they often lack important information. Like, the max rams your machine can take is 4gb [2x2gb sticks]. If you have the Pentium T4500 CPU, there is no point in trying to change it the only 2nd hand cpu you can get that's any better will only give you around 5% increase in speed. With an SSD the boot speed which is usually around 2.5 mins will drop to around 44 seconds,

Also, Google doesn't (isn't supposed to) do pop-up ads. They do have intersitial ads that they call vignette ads. Those kind of resemble pop-up ads but are not in their own tab/window and don't require closing a window. You can click on close or you can just click on a space where the ad is not and it goes away,

But, there's not supposed to be any pop-up ads with Google.

(In my experience, there are zero pop-up ads on Linux.org and I didn't block ads for a long time. As a gold supporter, I don't see ads anymore. I did for a while, but that's 'cause things were broken. I wasn't supposed to.)

@Julie Generic welcome to linux.org :)

Just a heads up - Member Introductions is not the place for Linux support questions (and answers, folks), they are handled in the main forum, where all can benefit. So no more here, please.

...thanks for all the fish.

Douglas Adams fan? I am, have a bunch of his books, and two of them on vinyl.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

There is nothing wrong with using old kit, I use a bit of it myself.:) Welcome to the Group.:p

The Member has not been seen since the day after she joined 5 months ago, may have got bored?

Wiz

Members online