Better linux distro for an EBOX 3350MX

You might have a look at this link.

I hear ya I hate throwing things out if I think I can squeeze some more life out of something.

However, always a However.

I've also realized as much as I hate to admit and accept the fact that sometimes certain electronics just no longer can be utilized.

If an older version of Linux which was originally installed and working on those than that may be the only choice you have to make them useful.

I think this website

has old Linux distros that you can download however no longer being supported you may not find a sever to connect to.

The fact is that Ubuntu 10.04 works fine, but I spent two days trying to install a driver and I just can't cause I am a newbie fighting with an unsupported distro.
I already give my system access to the old repositories but something is always missing, or not updatable or a lot of other things. I successfully used the remote desktop and the LAN and audio interface, now I was trying with a USB wifi adapter.

I'll try your websites, but I already have an unsupported version so...
Also I think that Ubuntu 12.04, that supports non-PAE cpus, doesn't work with a non-cmov system

I'm stuck on ubuntu 10.04 I guess, it still can have access to some of the old repo at least...not all but a big part

I chanced upon this thread when looking for the same information; I believe that Debian Wheezy (which was last updated in 2018) may provide you with a more secure environment than Ubuntu 10.04 (last updated in 2013). Unfortunately Debian dropped support for i586 in the following release (Jessie): https://www.linux.org/threads/better-linux-distro-for-an-ebox-3350mx.32803/page-2

You can get the latest Wheezy image from the archives: https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/7.11.0/i386/iso-cd/

All considered, the 3350MX platform is no longer safe for general internet access under Linux when compared to something like a Rasbian-based Raspberry Pi, but it definitely makes for a compact retro-gaming platform for DOS games in the mid/late 90s (SoundBlaster-compatible support is not available for DOS, but Win98 implements SB emulation over AC97 audio). You may want to sell these on for such purpose.

I chanced upon this thread when looking for the same information; I believe that Debian Wheezy (which was last updated in 2018) may provide you with a more secure environment than Ubuntu 10.04 (last updated in 2013). Unfortunately Debian dropped support for i586 in the following release (Jessie): https://www.linux.org/threads/better-linux-distro-for-an-ebox-3350mx.32803/page-2

You can get the latest Wheezy image from the archives: https://cdimage.debian.org/mirror/cdimage/archive/7.11.0/i386/iso-cd/

All considered, the 3350MX platform is no longer safe for general internet access under Linux when compared to something like a Rasbian-based Raspberry Pi, but it definitely makes for a compact retro-gaming platform for DOS games in the mid/late 90s (SoundBlaster-compatible support is not available for DOS, but Win98 implements SB emulation over AC97 audio). You may want to sell these on for such purpose.
WOW thank you I never thought it like a gaming platform, more like a always on pc!
Wonderful idea, also I'll try your OS

CMOV stands for "conditional move" and speeds up code by avoiding "if-thens" and therefore the necessity of branch-prediction. The kernel shipped with Ubuntu 10.10 and later dropped support for old i586 CPUs by requiring this extension, so you will have difficulty running anything newer on this system.

Hi, I just installed on almost same machine with the same CPU current version of Alpine Linux i386. It works with no problem. It´s popular distro for servers and it has quite long support and many packages.
I used extented x86 ISO:

Attachments

• vortex.PNG
    vortex.PNG
    27.6 KB · Views: 418
Hello.

The same with graphical desktop ?

Sorry for my bad English, but I'm french, so I don't have any other excuse...

So, I really love the ebox-3350mx.

When I bought it, the Raspberry weren't as powerful as they are now and, still today, they're a mess.

The sockets all around the board.

For the same price as a small used Raspberry without box and without power supply, and without heat sink, I found a used ebox-3350mx with power supply and a sturdy metal case, and smart disposition sockets.

But I've discovered to late, that even if it is a X86, it is in fact an infamous the I586, including non CMOV and non PAE.

And all the time that I had passed on try to do something with it, doesn't worth it's cute design.

At most we can use Ubuntu 10 and Debian 8, both are no longer supported.

Indeed, we can easily install Alpine Linux, that I've disovered on the previous post, a big thank to you misace !

It is a very good thing.

But I just spent 5 days and over 20 reinstallations more without being able to get a graphics desktop to work.

I think this is a specific video chipset driver problem which is recognized without concern on Debian 8.

An idea to start with something ?

Thank.

Hello and thank you for your answer.

Well, from what I understand myself, I'm shure that I'm not going cross-compile anything.

The best that I can do when I use linux, is to found a tutorial and doing everything said or written on it.
I've already heard about compile, but I don't know what it is for.

Cross-compile, yes, I will need the cross sign to make myself something that will work ! :)
I've read yout links.

Maybe I can do what it is written, but, where is the line where I can install the OS that I want to work with my i586 ?

I was ready to send an help asking on the Alpine forum, but It has disapears since 2018...

I'm realy, realy sure that it wouldn't be a big deal for somebody that understand Alpine.

I already have special Vortex (3350 CPU) Kernel (but it is in .deb, so not for Alpine), and also a VGA_driver.so file but the explaination to use it start by installing the .deb kernel...

I'm going to seek for something like .deb translation...

Or, if somebody knows where there's an Alpine forum...

Do you think I can post on the Linux.org forum ?

Thank you

Thank you for your answer.

I'm sory, but what I was trying to ask is that if I can make another post to ask some help for Alpine Linux, and kernel "translate".

Thank

Of course you can, and probably should, start your own thread. Try to find the most-appropriate sub-forum to put it in and go for it. If you have fewer than five posts *and* your post contains a link, a mod will have to approve it. That's pretty quick, but by all means start your own new thread.

I believe Alpine Linux is IRC Chat at - irc://irc.oftc.net/alpine-linux

Sounds like the sort of thing Puppy is made for small and compact and I think Dpup Stretch or Tahr would be good candidates.

Just as a side note Puppy Linux in all its flavours is available from archive.org

Hello and thanks for all these answers

Sounds like the sort of thing Puppy is made for small and compact and I think Dpup Stretch or Tahr would be good candidates.

I've download Tahrpup 6.0.5 and it gave me the tahr-6.0.5_PAE.iso

Tested, boot, display the graphical startup/try/install menu, select itself, then I've an error :

Post #13
[…] Error: This kernel requires the following features not present on your CPU: cmov […]

Non PAE compatible kernels are not enough, they need to be non PAE and non CMOV

Slacko Puppy 6.3.2, boot, display the graphical startup/try/install menu and when I select try,

I've an error :

Post #13, the malefic post :
[…] Error: This kernel requires the following features not present on your CPU: cmov […]

I've not find what version that I need to download for Dpup Stretch

Bodhi Linux has a legacy product -

Minimalist base install, 32-bit Non PAE, 4.9.0-6-686 non-updating kernel […]
Tried bodhi-6.0.0-64-hwe boot but as soon with only displaying ISOLINUX 6.04 20191223 EHDD

Tried bodhi-5.1.0-legacy boot, display the graphical startup/try/install menu and when I select install, I've an error :

Post #13

The NON CMOV kill every solution based on ONLY NON PAE kernels !

Non PAE compatible kernels are not enough, they need to be NON PAE + NON CMOV

[…]and AntixLinux[...]
AntiX :
Post #14
You can still try the i386 version AntiX […]

Post #15
I already tried AntiX, but I can't remember if it gave me an error or just freezed, anyway it ddidn't work. […]
I'm not sure to be ready to test something alreay tested...

[…]Minimalist base install, 32-bit Non PAE, 4.9.0-6-686 non-updating kernel […]

Non PAE annnd… noooon… whaaaaat ?

I'm going to open a new thread for trying to adapt something on Alpine.

Thank to everybody for thes answers.

Members online