Australia - The Land Down Under

1675972822285.png

Earthquake victims​

A black ribbon, symbolising remembrance and mourning, is projected on the Sydney Opera House sails on February 9, 2023, to show solidarity with Turkey and Syria following the deadly earthquakes.

It's not easy, nor is it necessarily cheap, to live remotely.

I am not *that* remote. There's a village about 25 miles away - and grocery delivery trucks make it that far. It's also where they turn around and head back to civilization. No grocery trucks drive further than that (in this direction). None of them pass my house, or anything like that.

But, I am definitely not as remote as they are.

25 miles....equates to 15km here. That's like being next door.

I travel 96km just to see my doctor.

We do have a largish grocery outlet in the town....so there's that...

25 miles....equates to 15km here. That's like being next door.

I travel 96km just to see my doctor.

We do have a largish grocery outlet in the town....so there's that...

Oh, it's a two hour drive to get to my doctor's office. (Also, 25 miles is about ~40 km. You're doing the math backwards.)

That's just to get to a village with maybe 1000 people in it. The village is largely a tourist haven. That's where there's a fairly small grocery store, and where the trucks turn around. There are restaurants and gas stations in the village. It's another 45 minute drive (depending on the weather) just to get to a town with like 7500 people in it.

oops....nothing wrong with my maths !!.....much !

oops....nothing wrong with my maths !!.....much !

Pit speed limit is 40 kph, or about 25 mph.

Racing has made it so that I can comfortably convert the two in my head. You can roughly estimate it at 60 miles is 100 kilometers. It's really closer to 62, but 60 is close enough. 300 kph is roughly 180 mph - but probably closer to 186 mph.

Plus, while I haven't lately, I often cross into Canada - where they use the metric system (like all sane people would). I've also traveled a lot, so I'm fairly fluent in both imperial and metric - except temperature. Other than a few basic degrees, it's a rough estimate for me. I do like how F is more refined at the whole number level, but that's possibly because I was born into it.

I am able to be on two world-class ski slopes within a 45 minute drive (depending on the weather). There's a closer one, pretty much in the village, but it's smaller and just opened back up again.

Alas, I no longer ski or snowboard. I was never good with either, but I had fun. Today, I don't dare risk re-injuring you femur. So, the only reason to go to the mountain is to check out the ski bunnies, and I'm happily married to a lovely lady that's many years my junior. So, checking out the snow bunnies isn't really a good activity for me these days.

Animal pics from around Australia

Just click on the first one.....and then the arrow on the right to keep going on....and on

327468382_752705982529009_5555862101443627895_n.jpeg

What's happening, sport ??.....
1675985213601.jpeg

and more....and more !

Turkey.....needs every bodies help

Mesut Hancer holds the hand of his 15-year-old daughter, Irmak, who died in the earthquake in the Turkish province of Kahramanmaras, close to the earthquake's epicentre. Source: Getty, AFP / Adem Altan

1675985823173.png

It was a moment encapsulating the unspeakable pain of the Turkish earthquake: a father holding his 15-year-old's hand, the only thing visible after her body was crushed by concrete.

Be sure to read it all....as a non australian you may find it a touch hard to grasp.....but give it a go, anyway.

If nothing else, the artistry is astonishing

Satirical Bald Archy Prize returns to paint political leaders, artists and notable Australians in a colourful light​

By Niki Burnside
Posted 18h ago18 hours ago, updated 17h ago

1676071425667.png

and more

Record flooding in New South Wales wetlands triggers bird breeding bonanza​

Key points:​

• Widespread flooding has rejuvenated wetlands parched by years of drought
  • The conditions have triggered a widespread bird breeding event
  • Researchers say conditions are perfect for helping to restore water bird numbers

All this is happening out around Booligal NSW

Where ?....
2023-02-11_17-37.png

There....on the red dot.....still unsure...google Booligal NSW Australia

Last edited:

Search for descendants of Aboriginal people who settled in Indonesia at least 150 years ago​

1676169299994.png

The photographs were taken by Italian naturalist Odoardo Beccari, who travelled through South East Asia in the 1860s and 70s.(Supplied: Pigorini National Museum, Rome)

1676169344605.png

Makassan fishermen travelled along various routes to northern parts of Australia in their search for trepang.

Trepang

"Wait for me, Ma!"

Wombats are marsupials (like the koala and kangaroo), that is, they have a pouch for their young.

The pouch of the wombat faces back, so that when they dig, dirt does not suffocate their babies.

Wombat, eats roots and leaves

Hhmm, I should have known better.

Turkey.....needs every bodies help

Mesut Hancer holds the hand of his 15-year-old daughter, Irmak, who died in the earthquake in the Turkish province of Kahramanmaras, close to the earthquake's epicentre. Source: Getty, AFP / Adem Altan

View attachment 14943
It was a moment encapsulating the unspeakable pain of the Turkish earthquake: a father holding his 15-year-old's hand, the only thing visible after her body was crushed by concrete.
Very sad.
OG

See some of the best shots from the past week, from east to west and everything in between​

THere are dozens and dozens of pics........

This just one of them...
1676628295297.png

That photo got a vote of approval from my partner, but we both agree that you should have posted it three (for you: four) days ago.

Dumb Question:
Why are so many of the active members on Linux.org from Australia?
Adding:
... or Maine?

On the question of 'so many Australians'...perhaps because we are a friendly crowd and we go where the atmosphere is just that...friendly.
there are other fora online of course, but their middle name is definitely not friendly.

There is also the fact that we love Australia....literally love it.....and oh so ready to boast about its many attributes...It's almost as if we can't get enough of it !

Happy Valentines day to one and all btw

1676681104511.png

Members online

Latest posts