Australia - The Land Down Under

Australians shout truckies meals at Torrens Creek pub as the call to 'pay it forward' is heard

ABC Western Qld
/ By Grace Nakamura and Cameron Simmons
Posted Fri 23 Feb 2024 at 7:42am

1708994973978.png

1708994999579.png

1708995031393.png

Not available in Australia.

That's odd. It's 60 Minutes Australia. I can remove it if you want. It's about MH370.

Leave it there. If the rest of the world can see it, then that's cool

I have seen articles about it locally. If I see them again, I'll post them

Flight MH370 is still a mystery

Australia was heavily involved in the search and now a couple of people have some ideas for performing a new search.

That sums up the video.

One found a wing while fishing on a commercial boat. Another one has analyzed all the radio anomalies to plot a new search location.

That's about all of the important in the video. I'm on my phone while waiting for an appointment, so I'm being quite brief.

Credit: https://www.aussietowns.com.au/

June in the Top End – crocs, barramundi, brolgas and jabiru.
Now is the time to start planning for a visit to the Top End. The “wet” is nearly over. The rivers and waterfalls are full. And the winter months are perfect for exploring and walking. Before the end of the winter those who can travel to the Top End should experience the wonders of Kakadu, Litchfield and the scrubby wilderness that surrounds them.
Over the years I have travelled to the “Top End” in every season and I am convinced that, for those of us who live in less oppressive climes, there really is only one time when this remarkable region is at its very best.
The problem is simple. Go in the “build up” to the wet season and you’ll melt with the debilitating humidity. Go in the wet season and roads will be blocked and the afternoon rains will cut short your sightseeing. Go at the end of the dry season and you’ll miss the magic of May when, at the end of the wet season, everything is still verdant, soggy and the wildlife are luxuriating in deep rivers and superabundant flora.
May and June are the times when the Top End’s tropical rivers are alive with fish and wildlife and when the landscape, particularly along the coast, is impossibly rich and fertile.
Flying over the landscape after “the wet” you feel as though you have entered a kind of watery wonderland. The rivers spread across the floodplains turning them green with deep, lush grasses and covering the fences so that only hints of human organization can be seen under vast, low-lying lakes and billabongs.
Ancient rivers, like the bare branches of a dead tree, draw beautiful filigrees through the grey-beige mudflats which stretch from the rugged outcrops to the south to the darker oceans of the north and where narrow strips of yellow beaches arc from lonely headland to lonely headland.
This is the time when Kakadu National Park is at its most spectacular and it is a time when every enterprising angler hops aboard a small fishing boat or a tinnie and heads up the rivers swollen by the summer rains.
It is so easy to catch barramundi and it is an opportunity to marvel at the region’s impossibly rich bird life which in this season includes everything from jabiru to sea eagles and brolgas.
Now is the time, before the harsh sun and the dry winter months burn and destroy the vegetation, when the Top End rivers are edged by vast expanses of waterlilies which grow in such profusion they turn the wetlands and billabongs into white-petalled paddocks.
Even if you are not an angler this is the time when idly mooching up the rivers and carefully watching the muddy shorelines will result in numerous sightings of huge crocs sunning themselves while large birds elegantly peck in the mudflats and smaller birds dart and dive for food.
It is also the time when the region’s waterfalls – in both the Litchfield National Park and Kakadu – gorged by the summer rains are at their most dramatic. Visiting in June you will feel as though you are experiencing the Australian tropics at their richest and most memorable.
Check out http://www.aussietowns.com.au/town/batchelor-nt.
... and how is that for a barramundi?
May be an image of 1 person, fishing and fishing rod

OK, first thing I think about when referring to Australia:

BATHURST, MOUNT PANORAMA

And also, Adelaide, 1989 F1 Grand Prix

1709068118964.png

That pic shows how NOT to spread Vegemite

Far too much ! (unless of course you are a vegemite crazy kid who can handle the assault on your taste buds )

Spread it on either toast or plain bread.....as much or as little butter as you like ....and just a thin smear of Vegemite

Any more than this, and I can guarantee you will never try it again

As for storage of the product...in the cupboard etc.....yes, that sounds about right.

For how long?...my jar of vegemiate doesnt last long enough to exceed the use by date.

I believe it is like cockroaches.....it will probably survive a nuclear holocaust.

I guess I have to come over to taste it

Also interesting is that Australia is the antipode of where I live ( the place on a planet the furthest away from a given location on that same planet, ie. the earth itself).
So, a long flight ...

So you would be somewhere in the vicinity of Spain.

1709088999011.png

Credit: https://www.facebook.com/Stockmanshalloffame

A Pioneer and Cattleman from Killarney Station
Charles William Tapp, best known as Bill Tapp (2 June 1929 – 22 May 1992), was a pioneer and cattleman from Killarney Station in the Northern Territory.
Tapp lived in a house with a tennis court and a maid during the 1930s and later became a full-time boarder at the Scots College in Bellevue Hill. A champion sportsman and scholar, he represented his school in many sports, swimming, cricket, football, rowing, diving and played tennis at a state level.
He was known to be agonisingly shy and had a pronounced stutter.
While at Scots College, Tapp read the book 'Cattle King' about Sir Sidney Kidman, who owned large cattle stations in the Northern Territory. The book had a lasting effect on him, and he decided that as soon as he finished school, he would become a cattleman.
Tapp settled into station life, learning everything he could. He left Elsey Station a few years later to manage Rosewood Station on the Northern Territory-Western Australian border. He established a droving business in the early 1950s two years later, moving cattle from Alice Springs through Tennant Creek and Elliott along the Murranji Track.
In 1952, Bill Tapp and business partner Bill Crowson bought Montejinni Station. With Crowson's family, the business partners transported all their worldly possessions and their plant of horses up the Murranji to Montejinni. With them was an Aboriginal stockman and a young sixteen-year-old deaf man, Kenny Wesley.
Following a breakdown in the relationship with the Crowsons, Bill Tapp began talks about buying Killarney Station. He reached an agreement in 1960 to pay £90,000, a Northern Territory record price for a cattle station at that time. He received the title to Killarney in 1962.
Tapp's empire began under a bough shed at Mayvale Bore with a sign swinging off a post saying "COCKRAG DOWNS".
Tapp met his future wife, June Clements (née Forscutt), a divorcee with three small children while staying at her mother's house in Katherine. After their first meeting, Tapp stated that he wanted to marry her. The courtship was short and sweet, and June soon found herself out at Killarney Station living under a bough shed, a structure made from four tree posts with fencing wire slung across the top and branches thrown over to make shade. The bough shed was the kitchen, the office and the doctors' surgery.
On 2 August 1962, Tapp wrote in his diary, 'Day off – got married today'. Bill and June Tapp went on to have seven more children.
Tapp purchased Maryfield Station, Roper Valley Station and Mountain Valley Station.
Bill Tapp and June divorced in 1985. After years of mismanagement of credit extensions by the agricultural company Elders, the Tapp family properties went into receivership in 1991. All three properties owned by the Tapps were advertised for sale. After a battle in the Northern Territory Supreme Court between the Tapps and Elders, Killarney Station and Maryfield Station were sold, but the Tapps were permitted to retain Roper Valley Station.
Tapp died on 23 May 1992 at home at Killarney Station at the age of 62. He was buried at the station on 3 June.
Image: NLA
#KilarneyStation#Cattlemen #Ourstories #Ourunsungheroes #Kidman#Scotscollege
Australian Stockman's Hall of Fame and Outback Heritage Centre
https://www.facebook.com/Stockmanshalloffame?__cft__[0]=AZXp3z2O80vqXDJUPJIPGJqWR6BBNQ99fKyJEIm0bHcx-g4dxsrw42fgusc9ApsAW72LosAMoTGHEuVFA95QKVZ-g0rp_w8ERfbLyUDz31FmsIt7Lc-Lcn12BExGh9uFu-RKYDP4_oidgB5Rbp6P_uuj-ufbL3DKtIBKVXaxITPbvndYPLyk4Sz4Oci-JU5Pw5c&tn=,mH-R
Below....is a bough shed. Made from tah boughs of trees...the 'roof' is bits of bark and dried out remnants of the weeds growing there....maybe camel thorn, galvanised burr, etc. It was intended to keep the sun at bay. There was rarely enough rain to worry about.
This particular bough shed, was a school.

1709091880340.png

Some Aussie media about a long-standing mystery:

I watched this Sunday night...10 years on some guy claims to find a wing but has no proof...yeah right...what some will do for a little publicity.
t9414.gif

1709326956413.png

1709326993244.png

Credit: www.weatherzone.com.au

Members online