An article about being a newbie...

I haven't been here for more than a few days. I left an update in a separate thread.The tail end is relevant to this one. At least it is for me.
How much longer...How much more is it going to take?

About that Newbie article...
I will definitely have more than enough experience to cheer someone, encourage them to keep going. I can say for sure and despite the short time I had a full install it's worth it.

@Sherri is a Cat ....your link to How much longer etc etc....does not work.

It's been several weeks now since I had a functioning computer with a full install. I need to refresh what I learned. I don't think it will be long before I start on this. I want to find links some things I personally would like to know right now.

If anyone knows of some good places with things newbies could use on day one, sharing them is welcomed

@KGIII

I still have the links you gave me.

Input requested.​

I'd aim at a general overview, not a detailed article. That's what I'm after, if you're willing. I wouldn't detail too much about which software you in particular need or anything like that - just what it's like to learn and experience something other than Windows.

Make sense?

I'd aim at a general overview, not a detailed article. That's what I'm after, if you're willing. I wouldn't detail too much about which software you in particular need or anything like that - just what it's like to learn and experience something other than Windows.

Make sense?

@KGIII

I deleted that post.

@KGIII

I deleted that post.

It's all good. It was an interesting read nonetheless.

Ideally... Think more, 'here's a welcoming hand' vs 'here's a slap in the face with the tech' (not that your post intended that but contained quite some details that'll make a newbie's eyes gloss over and press the back button in their browse. We don't want 'em to think it's harder than it needs to be - even if your personal situation made it difficult due to computer issues.

The average user isn't going to have those computer issues.

'Snot easy writing these articles. Trust me. I've written hundreds of 'em! But, you do know how to write and you do manage to type a voluminous quantity of words. So, I've got faith!

"I want to welcome you into the world I'm now experiencing and this is why..."

More so they why as opposed to the how. If they want to know how there are 1,000,000 pages telling them so. There are zero pages telling them why you made the choice and what you experienced, both technical and the non-technical, such as the community aspects.

There are a zillion technical articles. This would be a very personal article.

Make sense?

Again, you're under no obligations. Plus, I can work with all sorts of content to make it applicable. It often takes longer to edit something that I didn't write, but I'm fine with that.

....'here's a welcoming hand'...

I considered that because I didn't want it to seem like

'here's a slap in the face with the tech'

What I was hoping for is to eliminate those concerns if someone isn't willing to give up Windows based software. It was a concern I had and a deterrent. Because so few people need it I wouldn't mention resource consuming software. But if anyone around here does use use it and they could share good experience I definitely would include that.

... even if your personal situation made it difficult due to computer issues.

Listing reasons for wanting to know about the solutions were for all the people who would probably tell me about all the alternatives. I wanted express how important those things could be for someone like me. I want to be able to refer to someone elses experience with a 'VM' inside Linux and/or dual installs because I don't have it and now I can't get it. I heard about those, but I didn't hear about someone's personal experience. Personal experience is much more meaningful than suggestions.

I wouldn't mention the computer specific problems. They have nothing to do with Linux. I wouldn't have mentioned anything about UEFI or Secure Boot settings either.

After all the frustration, I could have easily gone back to Windows after the ASUS got home from the hospital. I was originally going to keep Windows on a separate drive so I could use those programs. On the day I got it running again, I copied the files I didn't back up. The only reason I didn't erase Windows on the 2TB drive right away is because I wanted to double check for files I might have missed. I was too excited to get going with Linux so I installed it on my second drive. After I checked for files again I deleted Windows.

Essentially It didn't take much to make up my mind. I like Linux THAT much. All the issues with the other computers that delayed a full install puts a fine point on how sure I was when deleted the Giant.
If they want to know how there are 1,000,000 pages telling them so...

There are a zillion technical articles...

Those were intimidating until I tried Linux. My fears were relieved. I should say so because it might be useful to someone. References to basic "Getting Started" guides that are actually helpful to a newbie is something I would have liked. When I'm talking about something I know very well, for example all the technical terms of botany, propagation, soil, architectural drawings, I forget that people who are hearing these things for the first time can't follow a single thing I'm talking about. That's how those articles are written. It's like trying to make sense of a foreign language.

I have dumb things down so I can be understood. I would really like a Linux guide written that way.I look things up everyday so I can figure out how to do something. The very first thing I have to do is figure out what that thing is called. If I don't know how to say something in Linux, I'll get a lot of unrelated, meaningless or useless information in terms of what I'm trying to do.

This would be a very personal article.

Make sense?

Again, you're under no obligations. Plus, I can work with all sorts of content to make it applicable. It often takes longer to edit something that I didn't write, but I'm fine with that.

There were other good comments in your reply but that one right there is gold.
For a newbie, that's not gold. It's a determent. It's a huge ball of tangled string. Those are written by people who've been using Linux so long they forgot what it was like when they were learning. They are why so many people think everything in Linux has to be done through the terminal. I would bet that more people don't even try Linux because of those articles.

I bought "Linux for Dummies". Those books for Dummies got me off the ground and on my way to learning a lot of software. AutoCad has a notorious reputation as a complicated and difficult program to master." AutoCad for Dummies" is what got me up and running.

Even "Linux for Dummies" makes it seem like things have to done through the terminal. I quit reading midway through the first chapter. I scanned through the entire book looking for something that I might find helpful, something that would relieve my apprehensions. That book is collecting dust. It's not dumb enough.

My thought was "Mouse. I don't have to learn an entirely new language to use Linux. I don't have time for all of that. I have things I need to do right now."

The internet and computers are necessity now. Everyone needs a computer to do everyday things using an OS that doesn't require much thought.

I bought "Linux for Dummies". Those books for Dummies got me off the ground and on my way to learning a lot of software. AutoCad has a notorious reputation as a complicated and difficult program to master." AutoCad for Dummies" is what got me up and running.

Even "Linux for Dummies" makes it seem like things have to done through the terminal. I quit reading midway through the first chapter. I scanned through the entire book looking for something that I might find helpful, something that would relieve my apprehensions. That book is collecting dust. It's not dumb enough.

That's more gold!

Though, you're possibly right. I no longer have the newbie perspective. Those are the kinds of things I would expect to see in such an article. This is a situation where I'll defer to you.

And...

To alleviate fears and intimidation that techie needs to be addressed. " here's a slap in the face" needs be a slap to al the techie stuff, not the newbie.

All lot people have told me how to do things through the terminal. More and more I've found that a lot of those things can be done with a "friendly" app.

For example, more than once I've been told to turn on the firewall with commands in the terminal. The firewall can also be turned on with the Firewall app. Newbies need to know that.

I just did a search on the internet, "Linux mint firewall". A newbie who is casually exploring Linux would open the link that looks like the simplest thing to understand.

1710449337873.png

Like any newbie would, I glanced through it. I just want an idea how to do something in Linux. This is what stands out to me.

1710449443766.png

This does NOT look uncomplicated. My eyes glazed over, I hit the back button.

If a newbie sees this:

1710448093671.png

... They think "Oh! That looks easy. I don't need actually need to memorize a command to turn on the firewall! That doesn't look any different than what I have to turn on the Windows firewall".

That's how I started out with Windows. A year and a Dummies book later, I was fixing computers for the people who had to explain to me that pressing start on the bottom left side of the screen did not mean powering up the monitor.

If you want more people to give Linux a try, some of that techie stuff needs to talked about. This is what I meant when I said "I have dumb things down so I can be understood. I would really like a Linux guide written that way."

Attachments

• 1710447715391.png
    1710447715391.png
    373.5 KB · Views: 32
More and more I've found that a lot of those things can be done with a "friendly" app.

Almost anything can be done in a GUI. You don't really need the terminal these days - unless things go pear-shaped or you want something specific that has no GUI alternative.

You can use desktop Linux without a terminal. More or less...

I am right.

Which is why I am way too habitualized and fluent with Linux to write an article about being a newbie.

I need a true newbie to write such an article. I could fake it and write an article, but I think it'd be seen through by anyone who actually is a newbie.

Another thing...

I used Windows for so long that no one needed to explain that UI means "User Interface". When I first saw that term it was obvious to me.

I had to pause for a second when you said "GUI".

Which is why I am way too habitualized and fluent with Linux to write an article about being a newbie.

I need a true newbie to write such an article. I could fake it and write an article, but I think it'd be seen through by anyone who actually is a newbie.

Exactly!

I had to pause for a second when you said "GUI".

That's a good example. My writing on my article assumes you know what "GUI" means - though I may often say it once in long form before using the jargon. I try to have clear directions that have a high success rate if followed exactly as described.

The site's really meant for those who wish to advance their knowledge - and those who wish to solve specific problems. The VAST majority of my traffic (and I get a lot of traffic) is from search engines. They're people looking to solve a specific problem or accomplish a specific task.

Also, GUI applications are great. I have nothing against the GUI. The terminal is closer to universal. You might be using gufw for your firewall, while someone else may be using a different GUI to do the same thing. The directions are the same if they're in the terminal. (Which you can do but is quite a pain in the butt for a new person. I'd never suggest a new person manage ufw with the terminal.)

I've decided on an outline.

Introduction
  • Linux is great.
    • Linux is not as difficult as it seems.
      • Nothing about guides, the terminal commands. Only the apps.
    • I think Linux would actually be fine for people who just want a free OS that does the same thing as Windows with less headaches.
    • If this is all people want, they don't need to know more.
    • This part would not be in the article. For those people:
      • At a minimum there would need to be a dumbed down Linux forum for them
      • Without a decent dumbed down guide and people who can explain things with dumbed down "Winowesque"language they probably won't get very far.

If you DO want more
  • A little about me.
    • I wouldn't actually say this. An implication is enough.
      • If you can't relate in any single way, even just a little bit, move one because Linux isn't for you.

• What it was like
    • A lot of people could probably relate
    • When I first began using Windows
    • It was fun
    • I didn't have issues
    • I loved Windows

• What happened
    • This when people like me will most likely begin to REALLY consider Linux
    • Resentment, irritation, Windows 10, 11 tricks, intentional interference, permissions...
    • Looked around for another OS
  • What it is like now.
    • The reasons I love Linux:p
    • Linux isn't so difficult,
    • it's not so hard to do it yourself
    • Bash the "Techie stuff"
    • The community
  • Invite them to the forums
    • Congratulate their decisions
    • Welcome back the fun of computing.
    • I hope I see you there.

Last edited: