An article about being a newbie...

Their forums aren't very friendly to beginners.
I had to deal with the jerks on just about every single Windows forum I ever went to.
No biggy!

I met Condobloke on one of them. His friendliness and that of a few other Linux users is one of the reasons I even considered Linux as an alternative. You know, I can't think of anyone else that wasn't a schmuck.

Ask @Condobloke @wizardfromoz @KGIII if I am nice or a jerk
I'll answer that question without being asked by you @Sherri is a Cat

@f33dm3bits is a nice guy, as well as being one of the most knowledgeable I have ever come across.

He is definitely a guy you want in your corner if your system goes south.

He usually gives advice in a no nonsense manner/.....straight to the point and accurate.

Ask @Condobloke @wizardfromoz @KGIII if I am nice or a jerk :)

Can I have time to think about that, Maarten? ;)

Kidding.

Sherri, Maarten has a gorgeous cat name of Ezio, he's gotta be OK.

Chris

Ask @Condobloke @wizardfromoz @KGIII if I am nice or a jerk :)

You're nice, though I have seen your feathers ruffled when faced with someone who didn't seem inclined to inform themselves. Even then, you've never stepped so far out of bounds that I've felt inclined to interject. If anything, you've been nicer than I'd have been had I not had my mod status!

Only part of that is in jest. I'll leave it to the reader to decide which bits are which.

I have seen your feathers ruffled when faced with someone who didn't seem inclined to inform themselves.

@Condobloke

I try SO hard to not be one of those people! But I also like to learn about things. My biggest problem is remembering the correct words, like "thermal past". But I guess as long as I can describe it I'll be okay.

Now the person I may be trying to help might not be okay. It's not my problem if they can't read my mind!

You're nice, though I have seen your feathers ruffled when faced with someone who didn't seem inclined to inform themselves. Even then, you've never stepped so far out of bounds that I've felt inclined to interject.
Sometimes some people are too much for me to deal with sometimes, I'm honest about that.

I think a link to your last article would be good to put in this article.

As silly, but still fun a "listicles" can be, there is still an element of seriousness to this one. I haven't yet explored may of the things you refer to. I heard "rumors" that those things were possible with Linux. I want to know how to do many of them. For many reasons, I didn't want to bother figuring out how with the Giant.

Anyone that wants to do those things too, but haven't taken the plunge would benefit from reading it.

I want to know how to do many of them.

I suggest learning things as you need them. Use Linux. When you run into a problem, hit up a search engine. You learn as you use the operating system.

That's how many of us learned.

Use Linux
Amen to that.

Use it as if you own it.

Don't hold back.....that is for windows users....too scared of breaking the poor little diddums

Rip into it. Take control.

What have you got to lose?.......you have Timeshift.

I suggest learning things as you need them. Use Linux. When you run into a problem, hit up a search engine. You learn as you use the operating system.

@KGIII
Perfect. " I suggest learning things as you need them. Use Linux."
Need is basically how Linux {or UNIX} got started, to fill a need that someone had; or to scratch an itch.
Great advice!
OG
TC

Exactly!

I'd rather do as much I can to figure things out on my own. If I do and I need help, I understand the solution much better. But most import for me, I remember it better.

When someone tells me how to do something, I might remember about 10%. If I put effort into it, depending on the complexity and the understanding I have to build one, I usually remember at least 80%. I book mark articles to refer back too also.

Great advice!

Another bit of advice that I share is that, assuming you're using a desktop environment, "Things are generally where you'd expect them to be."

By that, now assume they're new to the Linux GUI options, things like the browser are under 'Internet' in their application menu. If they want to perform office tasks, look in the application menu for office software.

Things are just logically placed, which is where you'd expect them to be.

I would like to write an article on how it is to be new with Linux but I don't have the fluency and the eloquence to go further than few sentences.

So with few words Linux at first feels like an underground path, it makes you feel like a hacker but when that feeling is gone it starts to feel like a vegetarian diet since most of the big proprietary software can't run in it, not all, but much of it. When you used to that and learn to do some of your jobs with the free available software, you then realize that you made the right choice away from the big tech and start having a hint of a hacker again.

Those few things to give some ideas to Sherri is a Cat

^^^THAT^^^^^ was more than fluent and eloquent enough for me to read and understand, @Terminal Velocity ....it gets the message across, nicely.

Isn't this topic better place in "Getting Started" if you are looking for someone who is new to Linux?

Staff online

Latest posts