Advertising on Mint Cinnamon

i have not seen any advertising.

You shouldn't have to worry about that with most distros. ElementaryOS likes to try to sell you stuff, but they're an exception.

You should be more worried about control of your online presence and self-preservation

No.
""Linux—a system known for its robust security features""

There are no m'soft type backdoors/telemetry here

Will Mint Cinnamon Virginia have any advertising or attempts to sell me on anything?

No but I'll sell you Sydney Harbour Bridge...I own it and it's going cheap...

1712366675575.jpeg

You can also look here too...https://www.linuxmint.com/about.php
m1213.gif

but, but, but.......I bought it from another bloke last night !!!!....

but, but, but.......I bought it from another bloke last night !!!!....
I heard there's one in the U.S. you can get for cheap, but you have to pick it up - they're having a hard time delivering it anywhere.

(no disrespect intended to the families of the victims, nor to those whose livelihoods have been disrupted)

No but I'll sell you Sydney Harbour Bridge...I own it and it's going cheap...

View attachment 19276
You can also look here too...https://www.linuxmint.com/about.php
m1213.gif
I guess my question about advertising was stimulated by so much advertising on Windows, and also in this forum. It crossed my mind that if Linux Virginia has advertising or asking for donations, I might as well stay with Windows. There are other reasons for not going back to Windows though, and I plow ahead at least to test out Virginia.

i have not seen any advertising.

Thanks. I was feeling a little reticent from seeing so much advertising on my newly installed Windows box, and also in this forum.

What does that mean?

What it says! The weakest part of any computer security system is located between the seat back and the keyboard use a secure browser [Firefox with add-ons is fine] make sure you have enabled the firewall, use a search Engin that doesn't track you, [such as duck duck go] Never open 3rd party links, never accept cookies [except for those labelled essential for sit to work]

What does that mean?

What it says! The weakest part of any computer security system is located between the seat back and the keyboard use a secure browser [Firefox with add-ons is fine] make sure you have enabled the firewall, use a search Engin that doesn't track you, [such as duck duck go] Never open 3rd party links, never accept cookies [except for those labelled essential for sit to work]

What does that mean?

The intention and opinion behind your comment are noted. I am a newbie in some ways, an old timer in others when it comes to online presence. I have used Firefox and Duck Duck Go years ago, etc. Right now some of my hurdles include recently impaired body mechanics, a slower brain, and so much input from different directions at once. Not in the forum, but in life.

Had a survival issue to deal with when social security deducted about one third of my monthly deposit, without my receiving notice. They sent snail mail to my old California address, but I have been on the Azores for over two years. The weather here is challenging, as it is a cold, wet winter and the house we rent has no heat. So on and so forth.

The advertising on this forum doesn't help when poor wifi already causes pages to not load, etc.

My Asperger's brain just functions in a certain way, and learning Linux by one task at a time with clear simple instructions and no extras is what works best.

i use Firefox with privacy badger, AdBlocker Ultimate and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials.

i use Firefox with privacy badger, AdBlocker Ultimate and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials.

Sometime around 2005 I was using Firefox but whatever I wanted to do it wasn't compatible with Firefox. The only browser that worked for that particular purpose which I don't remember now, was Chrome. I plan to try Firefox and Duck Duck again if I decide to go with Linux.

I installed the latest (as of the time of installation) firefox, loaded my bookmarks, installed a half dozen or so add-ons/extensions and then, without browsing anywhere else, saved the entire ~/.mozilla directory to a tarball.

Then I put together a script that removes ~/.mozilla, restores it from the tarball and checks to see if there is a bookmarks JSON file in my home directory that is newer than the tarball - if a bookmarks file is found, it reminds me to reload my bookmarks from it. I haven't yet figured out how to restore the latest bookmarks automatically.

if I decide to go with Linux
Linux Mint is vary intuitive. Of course you can get help with any Linux distro just by asking. We have many wizards willing to help.

P.S. im not a wizard! im a baboon brandishing a stick.:)

Thanks. I was feeling a little reticent from seeing so much advertising on my newly installed Windows box, and also in this forum.
Yes, the forum is pretty full of ads... they pay the bills for the site. The whole internet runs on advertising it seems sometimes. :(

You will want to pick a browser (like Brave or Vivaldi) or a browser extension (like uBlock Origin on Firefox) that will help block ads. I don't use Chrome, so I can't say for sure, but it probably has extensions that can help too. You can stop most of the ads, most of the time.

Linux Mint will never ask you for money, but they gladly accept donations. Most things that are open-source work like that. They are free without nagging, but they certainly appreciate support from people (or companies) who use their software. There are other ways to support open-source projects besides money too if you want to give back to those who help get you going, or help keep you going.... but you have no obligation to pay them (most of them... there are some exceptions).

Last edited:

That is helpful. Once setup a little more, I will look into using Firefox with privacy badger, AdBlocker Ultimate and DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials. Thank you.

Yes, the forum is pretty full of ads... they pay the bills for the site. The whole internet runs on advertising it seems sometimes. :(

You will want to pick a browser (like Brave or Vivaldi) or a browser extension (like uBlock Origin on Firefox) that will help block ads. I don't use Chrome, so I can't say for sure, but it probably has extensions that can help too. You can stop most of the ads, most of the time.

Linux Mint will never ask you for money, but they gladly accept donations. Most things that are open-source work like that. They are free without nagging, but they certainly appreciate support from people (or companies) who use their software. There are other ways to support open-source projects besides money too if you want to give back to those who help get you going, or help keep you going.... but you have no obligation to pay them (most of them... there are some exceptions).

You are probably an old timer with computers and internet like me. Reminiscing, I clearly remember when the internet was just starting to become public, from the military and universities, before 2000. I coded my first websites with a text editor and HTML. There was a very strong sentiment among those early users, that the Internet would NEVER be commercialized!

I went reluctantly from Firefox to Chrome way back early 2000, when whatever I was doing was only compatible with Chrome. But I plan to return to Firefox and Duck Duck Go, at least to test them out, on Linux. I should look into Brave and Vivaldi too, and uBlock is a good tip. Many thanks!