Advertising on Mint Cinnamon

You are probably an old timer with computers and internet
You put that very nicely! (And it's true.) LOL ;)

I coded my first websites with a text editor
I still do, but I'm not very active with it anymore. Simple HTML/CSS... very low tech.

There was a very strong sentiment among those early users, that the Internet would NEVER be commercialized!
Yes, but we should have known better. :(

Simple HTML/CSS... very low tech.

don't say that its outdated. I'm literally building a static website with html5 + tailwind css right now. Loads faster than the devel on steroids and can't be more secure than that.

Sometimes you just need the right browser ;) https://librewolf.net/
I'd suggest at least one spare browser to whatever your primary becomes. Nothing wrong with having 3 or more... either as spares or configured for different purposes.

The old UNIX philosophy of "Do one thing, and do it well" no longer applies to web browsers. They are (or may be) your password manager, your email client, your FTP client, your PDF viewer, your home entertainment center (streaming music, movies, TV), your library, your shopping mall.... your bank!

Web browsers are as integrated into our lives as our smartphones. And of course, a good bit of the time spent on our phones is using a web browser there too.

Web browsers have an awful lot of power and influence in your life.

Use with caution. ;):cool:

Web browsers are as integrated into our lives as our smartphones.
I am a Luddite, I Still only use a mobile phone for its intended purpose... to Talk to people who are not in the same room as myself, so I do not suffer the inherent security problems of online banking, android/google apps and all that effluent that comes with it

I do not suffer the inherent security problems of online banking, android/google apps and all that effluent that comes with it
On the phone, neither do I. But I do bank online from home. Everyone has to find their own balance between what it comfortable to use, and what they can trust.

I don't have a lot of trust, and I uninstall nearly everything on a smartphone. I have more trust in Linux on the PC... but even there, I don't install lots of other programs and may uninstall others.

On the phone, neither do I. But I do bank online from home. Everyone has to find their own balance between what it comfortable to use, and what they can trust.

I don't have a lot of trust, and I uninstall nearly everything on a smartphone. I have more trust in Linux on the PC... but even there, I don't install lots of other programs and may uninstall others.

I agree with this, but I don't always practice it. Part of the problem is I am married, what does that have to do with Linux and security? I tend to do things on the computer, for the same reasons you do. But my wife, she like convenience of a cell phone.

We've had the "security talk" a few times. But she still does what she does. We have a shared bank account, so what do you do?
I love my wife, but sometimes when you're married to someone, you're married to their security practices.

I'd suggest at least one spare browser to whatever your primary becomes. Nothing wrong with having 3 or more... either as spares or configured for different purposes.

The old UNIX philosophy of "Do one thing, and do it well" no longer applies to web browsers. They are (or may be) your password manager, your email client, your FTP client, your PDF viewer, your home entertainment center (streaming music, movies, TV), your library, your shopping mall.... your bank!

Web browsers are as integrated into our lives as our smartphones. And of course, a good bit of the time spent on our phones is using a web browser there too.

Use with caution.

As you can see, I am having some confusion using Virginia on the Forums. I don't know how to delete the above.

Just wanted to ask about WhatsApp. Despite whatever the security issues may be, many on this island use WhatsApp and it would be helpful to have it on this computer. I remember seeing it in the overview as Linux was being installed, but have not been able to find it as a built in program in Mint Cinnamon.

Can anyone tell me how to access the WhatsApp that comes with this distro?

Screenshot from 2024-04-07 14-17-46.png

signal is a messenger like whatsapp but without the tracking nonsense. From ChatGPT:

When comparing Signal and WhatsApp, it's important to consider several factors including privacy and security features, usability, and additional functionalities. Here's a breakdown of key differences and similarities between the two:

Privacy and Security​

• End-to-End Encryption: Both Signal and WhatsApp offer end-to-end encryption for messages, calls, and media shared within the apps. WhatsApp uses the Signal Protocol for encryption, but their implementations have some differences.
  • Data Collection: Signal collects minimal data about its users, primarily focusing on the phone number used for registration. WhatsApp, owned by Meta (formerly Facebook), collects more extensive metadata, including device information, usage patterns, and more, as outlined in its privacy policy.
  • Open Source: Signal is open source, allowing anyone to inspect its codebase for security vulnerabilities, whereas WhatsApp's client is closed source. However, WhatsApp has made the encryption protocol it uses open for review.
  • Security Features: Signal offers additional security features like disappearing messages, screen security (prevents screenshotting), and relay calls (hides your IP address from your contact). WhatsApp has recently added some similar features but traditionally has been slower to adopt such privacy-centric options.

Usability​

• User Interface: WhatsApp offers a user-friendly interface with features that users have come to expect, such as emoji reactions, message forwarding, and easy media sharing. Signal provides a similar user experience but with a focus on minimalism and essential features.
  • User Base: WhatsApp has a significantly larger user base, making it more likely that friends and family are already using the app. Signal has a smaller, but growing, user base, partially driven by users prioritizing privacy.

Additional Functionalities​

• Group Features: Both apps support group chats, but WhatsApp has more advanced features like group video calls and a higher limit on group sizes.
  • Payment Features: WhatsApp has begun rolling out payment features in certain countries, allowing users to send money through the app. Signal does not currently offer a payment feature.

Considerations for Choosing​

• Privacy Concerns: If privacy and minimal data collection are your primary concerns, Signal may be the better choice.
  • Convenience and Features: If you're looking for a messaging app with a wide user base and rich features, WhatsApp might be more suitable.
Ultimately, the choice between Signal and WhatsApp will depend on what you value more: the extensive features and large user base of WhatsApp or the stringent privacy measures and minimal data collection of Signal.

No, I thought you recommended AdBlocker, and screenshot shows I donated to AdBlocker.
no i recommended

a) a browser that comes with something similar to adblocker (called origin) and several other privacy focused features
b) the VPN provider I use
c) a tool to do encrypt your DNS requests, which also allows you to setup blacklists for tracking domains

Members online

Latest posts