Wireless Mouse Failure Follows Power Outage

It's probably also a good idea to explore backup solutions at this time.

From reading this thread, it looks like something became corrupted. Power outages are not kind to the Linux disk formats, though I guess some are better than others.

When you have a clean install that has your apps installed and peripherals working, that's when you want to make your first major backup (in my opinion). Some folks will backup as soon as they've installed but I consider that mostly wasted time 'cause that's an easy state to recover. Once you've got your stuff squared away and basic apps installed, that's when it's worthwhile to invest time in making a proper backup.

And, an untested backup is not a backup. A proper backup is a process and not an application (just like security). Said proper backup isn't just making copies of files, it's also planning on how one will retain and rotate those files and, equally important, how one can restore those files if needed.

And, an untested backup is not a backup. A proper backup is a process and not an application (just like security). Said proper backup isn't just making copies of files, it's also planning on how one will retain and rotate those files and, equally important, how one can restore those files if needed.
Which is why I love the simplicity of backing-up engendered by Puppy's way of doing things. You only ever need to back-up the save-file/save-folder with Puppy, since that's where all the changes/customizations,etc, are contained. And making a back-up of this is just a simple copy/paste operation. Literally.

Every time I make any major alteration to an existing, fully-functional Puppy I first make a back-up of the "save". Takes perhaps 5 minutes. It's stood me in good stead more than once..!

For me, at least, the Puppy back-up/restoration routine is a tried & tested procedure. From long experience, I KNOW it works.

Mike. ;)

You only ever need to back-up the save-file/save-folder with Puppy, since that's where all the changes/customizations,etc, are contained. And making a back-up of this is just a simple copy/paste operation. Literally.

I preserve /home. I don't need to back all of that up, but I do.

I do have a couple of /home versions backed up. Like, I have one for RHEL and one for OpenSUSE.

I have a kind of dated Manjaro /home backup as well.

Then, I do what's in my article. It's a lot more than just making a copy. It's the 3 2 1 method. You're missing that aspect (unless you just didn't mention it) which is what I consider essential to a good backup strategy.

The article explains it. I'm not the originator of the 3 2 1 method. I'm just an adherent. (Though I can be a bit lax at times.)

@KGIII :-

Yah; agreed. My personal data is WAY more important to me than system files (those can always be replaced).....and is always kept totally separate from everything else, though IS 'sym-linked' into the $HOME directory.

I have one copy on the secondary 'data' drive. I have a copy on an external drive. And......I have a copy in 'the cloud'.

I'm not taking ANY chances! Though I have to agree, 'laxity' does creep in occasionally......I'm not always as strict as I should be with sync sessions.

Still, I think I'm covered..! :D

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Sadly, I do not have the bandwidth for this.

@pickle4905, does your mouse now work in a clean install?
I haven't started this clean install operation yet. I'll post a follow-up when it is completed.
Meanwhile, this thread is still open for business since there is a Dell Inspiron laptop with the same problem waiting in the wings....IMHO both HP and Dell "Aint what they used to be" lol.

It's always better to prevent problems before they happen...creating backups with Timeshift or creating an image with Foxclone...Redorescue or Rescuezilla is a good idea but that's not all.
t2608.gif

I have my Tower and Laptop plugged in to a power surge protection board because you can't restore a snapshot or image to a computer that's toast or shall I say fried.
m1510.gif

Welcome to the forums
Unplug the wireless adaptor for the mouse count to 20 and reinsert it, [usually works]
i have hade this same issue myself several times but only in linux, and yes removing and reinserting the wireless dongle fixes it but why does it not just reset itself upon error detection? rawwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! i need my coffee

Latest posts