Wireless Mouse Failure Follows Power Outage

pickle4905

Reaction score
Credits
I have wireless mouse failure after a 3 day power outage due to severe thunderstorm activity. Happens only on linux laptops. Windows OS computers are not affected. How do I recover use of wireless mouse??

Welcome to the forums
Unplug the wireless adaptor for the mouse count to 20 and reinsert it, [usually works]

G'day pickle4905, Welcome to Linux.org

I assume the wireless mouse has a 'dongle' which you plug into a usb port?

Take the dongle out and reboot your computer....then put the dongle back in, in a different usb port

Any luck ?

Thanks Gents,

Didn't help.

The mouse with a tail works just fine. I'm about at my wits end trying to figure this thing out.

Linux OS is Ubuntu and dead rodents are Logitech. One laptop is HP and the other is a Dell.

Best,

pickle4905

This may be worth a shot, seeing the usb ports are all functioning.

In particular.....When to use fsck command in Linux
There are different scenarios when you will want to run fsck. Here are a few examples:

• The system fails to boot.
  • Files on the system become corrupt (often you may see input/output error).
  • The attached drive (including flash drives/SD cards) is not working as expected.
Also shows how to run it

The article is dated july 2023 so is current.

Replace the batteries? The current wireless mouse I have goes stupid periodically and I have to turn the mouse off and back on for it to start working again. Make sure your blue tooth is enabled and not in airplane mode. Other suggestion such as reinserting the dongle if you have one. If that doesn't work you may have a corruption issue and you might have to reinstall drivers.

Replace the batteries? The current wireless mouse I have goes stupid periodically and I have to turn the mouse off and back on for it to start working again. Make sure your blue tooth is enabled and not in airplane mode. Other suggestion such as reinserting the dongle if you have one. If that doesn't work you may have a corruption issue and you might have to reinstall drivers.
I have done everything except reinstalling the drivers. How do I do this?

Go to help.ubuntu.com and do a quick search. You will find what you need there

Maybe the mouse is the problem.
t1822.gif

With your new mouse connected please type the command "lsusb" and share the output

Me, I'd be inclined to try a kernel upgrade.....or possibly even a "rollback". USB mouse drivers/firmware are in the kernel, and you don't 're-install' them like you would on Windows.

BTW, + 1 for the suggestion about Solaar. I use it with my gen-1 MX Master, although don't expect all the bells & whistles you get with their Windows utility. Mind you, it's nowhere near as big, either; I never could understand how a utility to control a mouse could possibly be nearly 90 MB in size!

Mike. ;)

Me, I'd be inclined to try a kernel upgrade.....or possibly even a "rollback". USB mouse drivers/firmware are in the kernel, and you don't 're-install' them like you would on Windows.

BTW, + 1 for the suggestion about Solaar. I use it with my gen-1 MX Master, although don't expect all the bells & whistles you get with their Windows utility. Mind you, it's nowhere near as big, either; I never could understand how a utility to control a mouse could possibly be nearly 90 MB in size!

Mike. ;)
Mike:
I am tired of fooling with this problem. I am ready to do a fresh, clean, install of ubuntu 20.04.4 and to hell with it.

My thanks to all the good folks who have offered help.

pickle4905 (Tom)

I am ready to do a fresh, clean, install of ubuntu 20.04.4 and to hell with it.
What will you do if this also fails to solve the problem ?

We will wait with bated breath to hear of your success/failure

Staff online