Which PSU should I get for my first gaming pc build?

I play a lot of graphic / power demanding games (something like call of duty). And if I put an 800W psu in my current build will it still be alright?
Why wouldn't it be? Maybe you're thinking of your build in terms of a car/home stereo where too much power can destroy speakers? If that's the case, they are not the same principles. Speakers are "fed" power. If one feeds 400 watts into a set of 50 watt speakers, bad things happen.

Your PSU doesn't "feed" your components. The components "draw" power. And they will only draw what the need. If all of your components combined draw 550 watts, you could have a 10,000 watt supply and it won't matter. They're only going to draw 550 watts. What @f33dm3bits said, IMO, is good advice. Go bigger to allow for future upgrades. Otherwise, that future $500 GPU upgrade could turn into $700 if your PSU won't handle it.

Okay basically, I am not sure whether to go with a 600 or 650 watt power supply, because if you do the calculations I will have
1. 100 watts left over for 600 watt power supply
2. 150 watts left over for 650 watt power supply
so which one should I get (yes my choices are both in gold performance)
Your hardware (the PSU) will consume full electrical power but the left over will not be used by other hardware components, meaning a waste of power.
It's useful only if you plan to upgrade hardware in the future, but given that PSU's are not that expensive it makes no sense to get more power consuming PSU than what's needed by other hardware in total.
A surplus of max 50 watts is IMO, OK.

I have 650w power supply...it runs not much but it's better to have more than less.
m1212.gif

I play a lot of graphic / power demanding games (something like call of duty). And if I put an 800W psu in my current build will it still be alright?
What I would do is look at the minimum required psu for the gpu you might want to upgrade to at some point and then buy that psu.

Last edited:
After I dug in to all this deeper, consider my original reply here Retracted. I was wrong in my thinking. As I said, I'm no expert. And it has shown. However, I'm not afraid to own up to my mistakes or lack of knowledge.

Get the big boy PSU. Buy once, cry once.

I guess, to me anyway, the main question that needs answered, is "How soon are you going to upgrade?"

I read the post above by @CaffeineAddict, which is true. The PSU will use all the power it can, regardless of what the components draw. Which I hadn't thought about.

If you run the machine quite a bit and don't upgrade the GPU for 2 years, the extra electricity used on a 1000w could be more expensive over time than just upgrading the PSU at the time of your GPU upgrade. Especially if you live in an area like me where they just almost doubled the cost of electricity.

While not an apples to apples comparison, I have a 55 gallon aquarium that has a filter pump that runs 24/7 and some LED lights that might be on 15 hours a week. Combined, I doubt it uses as much power as a gaming PC over the same amount of time. That ran my power bill up by $60/mo 5 years ago. I really hate to think what it costs to run now.

With that in mind, if it were me, I'd think about my goals with the machine. If the upgrade is going to happen in the next 6 months, I'd do like @f33dm3bits just said above and plan for the new GPU now. Any longer of a timeline and I think I would get the 50w extra @CaffeineAddict mentioned. Even at 6 months, if you are a heavy gamer and that machine spends more time on than it does off, it'll use more electric than the cost of a new PSU pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Your hardware (the PSU) will consume full electrical power but the left over will not be used by other hardware components, meaning a waste of power.
A power supply will only use the amount of power that is necessary by the load demand required by the hardware connected to it and no more.

Just because a power supply is rated and capable of 800 watts to 1000 watts of power does not mean it uses that amount of power and what isn't used is wasted.

The amount of power on the line side or mains side is only going to use the required amount of power required by the load on the output side and no more.

A power supply will only use the amount of power that is necessary by the load demand required by the hardware connected to it and no more.

Just because a power supply is rated and capable of 800 watts to 1000 watts of power does not mean it uses that amount of power and what isn't used is wasted.

The amount of power on the line side or mains side is only going to use the required mount of power required by the load on the output side and no more.
If your PSU is 800w for instance and your hardware in total requires 600w then the PSU will provide those 600w but will otherwise drain 800w of electricity, meaning your PC will consume full 800w, that is, 200w more than what's needed.

That's what I've been told in PC shop when buying new PSU for my PC, I in fact wanted to buy a PSU with double amount than what my hardware required but the guys told me it's silly to do because would be paying double bill for electricity.

If your PSU is 800w for instance and your hardware in total requires 600w then the PSU will provide those 600w but will otherwise drain 800w of electricity, meaning your PC will consume full 800w, that is, 200w more than what's needed.

That's what I've been told in PC shop when buying new PSU for my PC, I in fact wanted to buy a PSU with double amount than what my hardware required but the guys told me it's silly to do because would be paying double bill for electricity.
Well imo you've been misinformed by that person at the computer store.

Buy one of these or similar and find out for yourself by actually doing a test.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51XFQESIooL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:

The amount of power on the line side or mains side is only going to use the required amount of power required by the load on the output side and no more.
That's what I was originally thinking. One could have a 2000 watt supply and it would only use whatever the components draw. I'll butt out of this and let the way more experienced handle it. Lessons learned.

After I dug in to all this deeper, consider my original reply here Retracted. I was wrong in my thinking. As I said, I'm no expert. And it has shown. However, I'm not afraid to own up to my mistakes or lack of knowledge.

Get the big boy PSU. Buy once, cry once.

Been there! Done that!

That's what I was originally thinking. One could have a 2000 watt supply and it would only use whatever the components draw. I'll butt out of this and let the way more experienced handle it. Lessons learned.
No reason to not stay in the conversation as who on earth doesn't make mistakes.

I wish I had a $1.00 for every mistake I ever made hell I'd be a millionaire. ;)

As Tim The Toolman Taylor says, "more power is better". :p

As for how much power will be drawn, I would think of it this way... I'm not sure exactly what ALL the correct terminology is, but I have real world experience on this and had to study it as an architecture student.

Electricity comes into the house to the breaker box. Each slot is 110 volts. There is copper wiring that can move 110 volts of electricity through the circuit. There is also wiring that is capable of moving 220 volts. A 110v breaker occupies1 slot. A 220v occupies 2.

It's a fire hazard to run 220v of electricity to a 110 volt receptacle. I've seen what happens when you do. Likewise, it's a fire hazard to use common appliances with a receptacle receiving power on a 220 line. Components will try to use the power delivered to it, not just what it needs It will burn up the appliance. It can start a fire whether or not anything is plugged into it.

I've been shocked. It's not fun. I never make electrical repairs without the advice of a licensed electrician.
IMG_20240321_114435538_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Is that the point you are trying to make?

With my understanding as someone is NOT a licensed electrician, yes

Because I'm not licensed, I always check with someone who is qualified to tell me what, how etc.

Because I've been shocked, the multiple burned up outlets in the house I use to live in, I'm very cautious, maybe even to a fault when it comes to electricity. I'd rather be obsessive than deado_O

Exactly this. ^^^^^^

I would only add a reminder that if a device has a failure that would cause it to draw more power than is safe (like a short circuit)... that you should be protected by proper fuses, circuit breakers, and grounds. That don't mean you WILL be protected, but you SHOULD be. But people take shortcuts and make mistakes, and safety measures can fail. Always be careful with electricity and know your limitations. If you need a pro, hire a pro.

On topic of buying power supplies: Like shopping for nearly anything... bigger and cheaper are my guiding principles, not necessarily in that order. Good luck with your decision!

@The Duck
I did a bit of research myself since I'm not hardware guy and concluded that the dudes in PC shop have no idea, I listened to them exactly because I don't fix hardware myself, anyway this is not the first time I hear from people how incorrect PC repair dudes can be, this time I witnessed myself on my own PC lol

Buy a good quality power supply that has over voltage protection bare minimum.

Read and do research on what others experiences have been with their purchases.

If possible buy from local merchants / shops etc so you have a place to go back to and return a bad product without a hassle.

You get what you pay for.
You buy cheap you get cheap.

A good power supply has a certain amount of weight to it because it will use a better quality of electrical and electronic components.

A cheap crummy power supply is light weight because it uses cheap crummy low quality electrical and electronic components.

Bottom line is when a cheap crummy power supply fails it will most likely destroy your motherboard and graphics card not always but more than not.

I speak from experience I've paid my tuition for the price of an education.

Buy a good quality power supply that has over voltage protection bare minimum.

Read and do research on what others experiences have been with their purchases.

If possible buy from local merchants / shops etc so you have a place to go back to and return a bad product without a hassle.

You get what you pay for.
You buy cheap you get cheap.

A good power supply has a certain amount of weight to it because it will use a better quality of electrical and electronic components.

A cheap crummy power supply is light weight because it uses cheap crummy low quality electrical and electronic components.

Bottom line is when a cheap crummy power supply fails it will most likely destroy your motherboard and graphics card not always but more than not.

I speak from experience I've paid my tuition for the price of an education.
I would add get a GOOD SURGE PROTECTOR.

I had a REALLY GOOD ONE on that burned up outlet. It saved my entire system.