What is the newest hardware you have Linux installed and running on? (not counting smart phones)

MikeRocor

Reaction score
Credits
For me, that's a 2017 HP Stream Laptop 11-y0XX (netbook)
It has some issues - main battery is shot, often (but not always) wrecks the GUI when the screen blanks, only 4 GB of RAM - but it serves a certain niche purpose. Tiny Core Linux version 14.0

If anybody has a truly "working" smart phone running a generic Linux, that'd be an interesting separate thread.

Newest, not insanely new unfortunately just yet.

Desktop (in my signature) - Ryzen 7 5700x, 32GB 3600MHz RAM, AMD RX6700XT and a bunch of SSD's, Garuda Linux
Thinkpad T490s - Fedora 39 (probably switching this out soon)
Thinkpad T470s - Kali Purple (I use this for CTF's and CI/CD Pipeline Pen-testing)

I'm also planning on using my Pinephone (non-pro) to setup Kali Nethunter to play around with on the side.

Better in General Linux - moving this there.

Wizard

HP Prodesk [2015] [SFF office box] I5 4th gen 8gb and NVME, dose everything I need.

Lenovo thinkpad T450 I5, 8 Gigs Ram intel graphics. SSD works well with all linux Distro's I have put on it. It's solid.
currently running Kubuntu 22.04.3 LTS.

Dell XPS 9315 (laptop) bought Nov. 2023 and Dell XPS 8940 (desktop) bought Nov. 2021. These were the first new purchases in many years. Mostly old junk here.

:) See signature. :)

Newest? That'd be the HP Pavilion "big rig", where I spend 95%+ of my time.

2019; Intel Pentium Gold G5400 (dual-core w/HT, so effectively a quad); 32 GB DDR4 @ 2666 MHz (maxed-out on this); I TB Crucial MX-500 SSD primary drive; 3 TB Seagate Barracuda secondary 'data' drive; Asus GeForce GT710 (the one the gamers all like to take the p**s out of!)

Works beautifully with a 'kennels' full of Puppies...

Mike. :p

For me, that's a 2017 HP Stream Laptop 11-y0XX (netbook)
It has some issues - main battery is shot, often (but not always) wrecks the GUI when the screen blanks, only 4 GB of RAM - but it serves a certain niche purpose. Tiny Core Linux version 14.0

If anybody has a truly "working" smart phone running a generic Linux, that'd be an interesting separate thread.
Acer Swift 3. Linux Mint 21.3

Intel NUC 13 Pro RNUC13ANHI7000U
i7-1360P
DDR4-3200
Fedora 39 Server.

This isn't my main desktop PC, or even my fastest PC,
but it is the "newest".

Mine would be some MSI laptop that's about a year old. It's really just used for testing. It might be 1.5 years old by now. I'm not really sure.

Well last year 2023...my Tower's Motherboard failed so Motherboard...CPU...Ram are about 6 mths old...bloody UEFI.
m1122.gif

2021 laptop MSI Summit E13FlipEvo A11MT, CPU: 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1185G7, 1TB NVMe, 32GB RAM, Slackware-current

Mine is not so newest but specs here:D

Code:
Motherboard: Asus tuf gaming B550-PLUS
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
RAM: 16gb 3200mhz
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060 12gb
PSU: PSU EVGA GT 650W 80+ Gold

I have Fedora 39 Kinoite on a Framework Laptop 13, Intel 13th Gen (2023). It has 64 GB RAM and a 2TB Crucial P5 Plus, M.2 drive. Aside of a set of extra kernel parameters you have to set for the brightness keys to work, everything works out of the box.

I have Fedora 39 Kinoite on a Framework Laptop 13, Intel 13th Gen (2023). It has 64 GB RAM and a 2TB Crucial P5 Plus, M.2 drive. Aside of a set of extra kernel parameters you have to set for the brightness keys to work, everything works out of the box.
I've been considering a Framework Laptop for a while now, would you recommend them? And as a side note, how did you go with purchasing one from Aus? Thanks

My current laptop is far from new. First gen i3 Asus laptop with 4Gb RAM, 500Gb HDD and dual Intel/nvidia graphics. Released shortly before Windows 8 was released.
So it shipped with Windows 7 pre-installed, with a free upgrade voucher for W8.

My now ex-wife’s grandad gifted it to me because he had it for about 3 months. He “Upgraded” it to Windows 8 and immediately hated it so much, he wanted to get rid of it.
I offered to restore windows 7 and send it back to him, but he insisted I keep it, telling me that as a programmer I’d be able to put it to better use than he ever could. So I immediately put Debian on it. I eventually upgraded the RAM to 8Gb. And when the original HDD died, I put a 2Tb SSD in it.

So yeah…,. Not exactly new, but it does everything I need it to!

I've been considering a Framework Laptop for a while now, would you recommend them? And as a side note, how did you go with purchasing one from Aus? Thanks
Framework works for Australia directly, no issues there.

The laptop is great, almost perfect compatibility with Linux --any Fedora 39 only requires an extra kernel parameters for 2 extended keys to work.

The rest of it --obviously depends what you compare it with, and there is a component of bet as in with any emerging brand or company.

For me, it's a very solid laptop and if it fulfills the promise of being the last (full) laptop I need to buy, as per repairability and upgradeability, it's worth with any quirks or rooms for improvement they may have today.

One caveat is that the screen is gorgeous, 13-inch panel 2256x1504, 3:2 aspect ratio. This means HiDPI is a must, and the least painful way of getting best results is KDE on Wayland.