What file system should I use for 2TB usb to store files (Img, doc, vids, etc) ?

dinodev

Reaction score
Credits
Hi I'm new to the forum and also new to the Linux environment, what file system would be recommended to store files such as vids, music, doc, etc on a 2TB USB?. I use Xubuntu 22.04 to since i transition from Windows. NTFS doesn't seem to mount or work, keeps giving errors for support software package: ntfsprogs/ntfs-3g. I try ext4 but i can seem to write any files to it. Fat32 is really small because i have files 20Gb and up to transfer. I'm a noob to all this but I'm learning. I would really appreciate some insight as to what to do. Thanks!

Welcome to the Linux.org Forums.

How big are the files your trying to store?
NTFS or EXT4 should both work. though I've found NTFS to be a bit slower in transfers than EXT4.

Welcome to the Linux.org Forums.

How big are the files your trying to store?
NTFS or EXT4 should both work. though I've found NTFS to be a bit slower in transfers than EXT4.
Thanks for the welcome!

Files are 30Gb... NTFS isn't working because it need a dependency for ntfsprogs and ntfs-3g that I installed but for some reason is not working. I try EXT4 but I can't write because it's seems to be write protected and I don't have permission even tho I'm the admin. When I loaded up Gparted the USB has a keyhole icon however I didn't encrypt the USB during the formatting settings. I would prefer to use EXT4 since I'm leaving Windows.

Ext4 is the way to go. Let's see if we can get you sorted with permissions.

When you plug our device in, it should appear in /media/<your_username>. Can you confirm that this happens? You can just check with your file manager in a graphical manner.

If you want to use the terminal, make sure the device is plugged in and powered up, what is the output of:

Code:
ls /media/<your_username>

Why nnot try the ZFS option on next install of xubuntu? You may like it!

When you plug our device in, it should appear in /media/<your_username>. Can you confirm that this happens? You can just check with your file manager in a graphical manner.

If you want to use the terminal, make sure the device is plugged in and powered up, what is the output of:

Code:
Thanks! For your input I'll give a try. However tho just to backup some files I formatted the USB to Fat and the transfers were depressingly slow but it worked. I actually just reinstalled my Xubuntu 22.04, so I'll give the code you provided a try and a follow up!

Last edited:
Man why you if you was 20 mins early with this response I would have formatted tried the ZFS. I was doing some research on it through YouTube and reading material online but I didn't fully understand how works so I pass on the thought of formatting the SSD to ZFS.

If you going back and forth between Linux and Windows. exfat has worked best for me.

If you going back and forth between Linux and Windows. exfat has worked best for me.
For TB drives ? .. actually I'm so much interested windows only of I have no choice but to probably dual boot if I need Adobe product then I would use Windows

Took your advice on switch to ZFS since did reinstallation and ZFS is pretty good. I can feel a difference in performance I'll have to look into how the file systems works. Thanks for suggesting!

Code:
I totally agree that ext4 is the way go ... Since it has a reputable history that proven to be better that most file systems. But I have more to learn about how the ext4 file systems works. I decided to settle with exfat since the data isn't getting corrupted and it works well with my Tb USB. I love to learn more about the ext4 file system and how to get it work on a USB having all permission (read, write, execute), if you could possibly point me in the direction to a reading material on this or possibly enlighten me. I'll very much appreciate it! Thanks

I'd start here:

There are source links you can follow that will fill in other aspects not covered in depth.

Members online

Latest posts