What are some good quality earbuds that work with Linux?

/dev/pie

Reaction score
Credits
I’m getting tired of having a full on headset. I’m looking for earbuds that have good sound, noise cancellation, and built in mic. Any suggestions?

G'day /dev/pie, Welcome to Linux.org
i can't help you, I still use headphones....and am equally tired of their weight etc

i will follow this with interest.

There are some pretty light headphones these days.
https://www.amazon.com/Koss-Headpho...tweight/dp/B09KZC94X1/ref=asc_df_B09KZC94X1/?
Those are 3oz, less than 1/4 of a pound.

It depends on what you want to use the earbuds for. For teleconferencing and video games about anything will do.
For hi-fi audio, I have yet to find any earbuds ( Apple, Beats, etc... ) that have comparable sound to good headphones.
I tried a pair of these out - https://www.crutchfield.com/S-ehGqE...XVINQ=GZ0&XVVer=18VH&awcr=627904462756&awdv=c But they still didn't have the frequency range and dynamic range of most good studio headphones.

Last edited:
I've had great results with Bose QuietComfort. There's a QuietComfort II out now but I've not felt any strong urge to update.

They're a bit bass-y, but not in a terrible way. The mids and treble come through just fine. They're excellent for music and spoken voice with good cancelation. I don't remember what I paid for them, but I know I picked them up on sale.

I WILL say this much. It's definitely not a case of "What works with Linux?"

Earphones/earbuds are what they are. If they'll plug into your headphone/earphone port, they'll work. Oh sure, there's the usual research needed to find out the ones that have the features you want.....but with this kinda thing, it's got nothing to do with Windows, or MacOS, or Linux.

I've actually gone the other way. I've been using earphones for years, then I wanted a headset for video-calling, etc. I used a Logitech H340 for 3 or 4 years; brilliant item, but the snag was the cable. Kept getting fouled round my feet, and I nearly tripped over a couple of times! What I needed were wireless headphones.....and this is where it got interesting.

I did NOT want Bluetooth headphones, thank you very much. This HP has a weird combo wireless/Bluetooth chip.....and it doesn't like doing two things at once! So, that meant either 3.5 mm OR a USB connector. I don't know of any wireless headphones that use a 3.5mm jack, so I was looking for USB (and wireless). This cut choices down drastically....

I found a firm called SOMiC, who make a whole range of primarily gamer-oriented headphones/headsets. These are what I ended up with:-

SOMi-C-GS401.jpg

SOMiC Stincoo GS401

Full-cup; plug-in, detachable boom mike (neat idea); wireless....using a 2.4 GHz wireless dongle, which has the audio card built in to it. Light as a feather, too, and comfy all day long. Different selectable surround audio modes....and the LED lighting is positively restrained compared to some of their other offerings! Plus you can turn the LEDs off, too.....which makes the battery last longer (around 14 hrs on a charge).

And the sound quality is extraordinary. I like clear, sharp treble, but I also like deep, rich bass. Comes from being summat of a reggae 'nut'.

Having the sound card built-in makes it a breeze to connect. Just plug it in, and select the appropriate card. Just two controls; headset volume, and microphone level. That's all you need. Plus there's a rotary control on the headset, too.

My only "niggle" was that I had to get the instructions for them off their website, 'cos the manual was all in Chinese, wasn't it? But despite that, I like 'em..!!

(I don't use them all the time. Normally, my audio plays out from the headphone socket to a 20+year old Goodmans powered, 'active' speaker system, originally designed for MP3 players; two satellite speakers with tweeters & bass/mids, along with a sub-woofer built in to the amplifier box. This sits under the bed, firing back at the wall. Says 100W PMPO, but in reality it's around the 30W RMS mark......still plenty for a small room.)

Mike. :p

Last edited:
I've had great results with Bose QuietComfort. There's a QuietComfort II out now but I've not felt any strong urge to update.

They're a bit bass-y, but not in a terrible way. The mids and treble come through just fine. They're excellent for music and spoken voice with good cancelation. I don't remember what I paid for them, but I know I picked them up on sale.
I’ll check those out. Thanks

Members online