VS Code Rendering Issue

scampr

Reaction score
Credits
I've been running vs code on ubuntu 20.04.4 for a couple of years now with no problem. However something happened yesterday and now vs code won't render properly. I've removed vs code and reinstalled it but it's still the same so I think it is ubuntu related. It may also be related to a citrix installation which I have now removed. Initially when I ran into the problem vs code failed to run at all. Then I read it was connected to citrix, which I removed, and now it runs bit it won't render properly. I don't know where to start to fix it and ideas much appreciated.

In the screenshot below you can see the lines all over the place.

1649972466179.png

Attachments

• 1649972327142.png
    1649972327142.png
    254.6 KB · Views: 238

When you removed stuff, did you use 'remove' or did you use 'purge'?

My thinking is that there may be a config file (or more) remaining that's still influencing VSCode.

I don’t see a problem there per se.
It looks like that might be an option that has been set somewhere in the settings. Probably in the editor settings somewhere.

As @KGIII said, uninstall vs-code using apt purge and that will remove the program and all config files for it.
Then reinstall it and you should end up with a default, vanilla config.

If that doesn’t fix the problem, I don’t know what to suggest, other than trawling the program options.
It definitely looks like an editor setting that has gone awry.

Unfortunately, I’ve never used VS code, so I don’t know exactly what options are available.

At work I use visual studio in Windows - and that has an insane amount of options/settings in it. If vs-code is anything like visual studio, it will probably have a similar, dizzying array of options.

But again, other than installing a dark theme and a custom colour scheme for syntax highlighting, I haven’t explored many of the other settings in VS. I just know it has LOADS of settings.

A bit more info about what happened.

Initially vs code wouldn't start due to this error:

ld.so: object '/usr/local/lib/AppProtection/.so' from /etc/ld.so.preload cannot be preloaded (failed to map segment from shared object): ignored.libAppProtection

I then came across this posting which pointed to a citrix issue

I followed some of the instructions to move the libAppProtection file and it didn't seem to fix anything.

I then found this posting:

where it says to remove citrix with

sudo apt purge icaclient

After this vs code now starts but as you can see the graphics aren't quite right. They are just very basic as though it's not using the right graphics. The first link talks about libX11.

Btw I don't have a LD_LIBRARY_PATH set. Should I?

Any thoughts as to how I can repair things?

I don’t see a problem there per se.
It looks like that might be an option that has been set somewhere in the settings. Probably in the editor settings somewhere.

As @KGIII said, uninstall vs-code using apt purge and that will remove the program and all config files for it.
Then reinstall it and you should end up with a default, vanilla config.

If that doesn’t fix the problem, I don’t know what to suggest, other than trawling the program options.
It definitely looks like an editor setting that has gone awry.

Unfortunately, I’ve never used VS code, so I don’t know exactly what options are available.

At work I use visual studio in Windows - and that has an insane amount of options/settings in it. If vs-code is anything like visual studio, it will probably have a similar, dizzying array of options.

But again, other than installing a dark theme and a custom colour scheme for syntax highlighting, I haven’t explored many of the other settings in VS. I just know it has LOADS of settings.
Hi @JasKinasis you are correct vs code does run so nothing majorly wrong. It's just that it's not very usable now because of the strange lines all over the place. Just noticed about the purge option for vs code. I might try that. I thought it was for citrix.

A quick bit of DuckDuckGo-fu yielded this:

That might be worth trying. Has instructions for Windows, Mac and Linux.

I’m certain this isn’t a problem. I’m pretty certain these are display options that have been set somewhere. Remove/reset your config files and when you run vscode again, it should start up using default options.

A quick bit of DuckDuckGo-fu yielded this:

That might be worth trying. Has instructions for Windows, Mac and Linux.

I’m certain this isn’t a problem. I’m pretty certain these are display options that have been set somewhere. Remove/reset your config files and when you run vscode again, it should start up using default options.
Thanks @JasKinasis it was indeed the vs code settings. I followed the instructions and after the first step or removing the settings.json vs code started up fine. Thanks for your help. I would never have been able to find that one.

Members online