Using Steam to Play Warframe on Linux Mint 21.1 [Solved]

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
I'm still new to Steam and learning how to navigate.

After installing the free version of Warframe for Linux, there are several issues with the games interface and functionality that I don't know how to fix.

Once the game loads and the on-screen keyboard launches, if I try to use the mouse or the controller I can type one key and that key highlights but then is unresponsive if I continue to try to use the mouse to log in. So I'm unable to log in.

While the interface of the game is up and running the mouse moves but lag's so far behind (moves super slow) that I can't log in at all.
The music start's to play and then stops and continues to start and stop over and over again. Also, trying to use the mouse or the controller to try to abort the game fails to work.
The only way I'm able to exit the game is to go to the main menu and exit Steam.
Screenshot's are attatched to help. The screenshot labeled "Wareframe 2" is where I can't log in.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Attachments

• Steam Start.jpg
    Steam Start.jpg
    942.1 KB · Views: 170
  • Warframe 1.jpg
    Warframe 1.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 159
  • Warframe 2.jpg
    Warframe 2.jpg
    841.8 KB · Views: 181

Here is a few questions:
  • Do you know how to manually set the proton version for the game?
  • Do you know what proton GE is? Do you know how to install it?
  • Do you know what running the game under custom parameters means?

Here is a few questions:
  • Do you know how to manually set the proton version for the game?
  • Do you know what proton GE is? Do you know how to install it?
  • Do you know what running the game under custom parameters means?
Yes, I found where proton was set to experimental and changed it to another tier that was not labeled experimental.
I'm not sure if that was selected properly in the settings, as 'I am new to Steam'.

No, I do not know what proton GE is and I don't know how to install it.
And no, I don't know what running the game under custom parameters means.

In the meantime, I'll look up proton GE and try to find out what running Warframe under custom parameters means.

If you right click the game and select "properties", it will practically jump in your face. Under "Launch option" you will se an empty box. There is where we will input the custom parameters.
One last question - are you using an nvidia GPU?

If you right click the game and select "properties", it will practically jump in your face. Under "Launch option" you will se an empty box. There is where we will input the custom parameters.
One last question - are you using an nvidia GPU?
Do you mean right click the game while it's in big picture mode or while I'm looking at the game in the Library?

No, not using a Nvidia GPU. Here's my GPU:
Code:
Alex:  lspci | grep -i VGA
09:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cape Verde PRO [Radeon HD 7750/8740 / R7 250E]
Alex:

On my way to the link I posted to install Proton GE, bb later.

Followed the tutorial on post # 4. Proton GE is now installed.
Waiting to hear from you, thanks.

So the code you have to paste in that box is
VKD3D_FEATURE_LEVEL=12_1 PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 DXVK_ASYNC=1 WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1 gamemoderun %command%

VKD3D_FEATURE_LEVEL=12_1
The game itself does in many instances not recognize that you have a DirectX 12 capable graphic card due to improper communication between the game and the communication layer. This selects said mode manually.

PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60
This will force the audio to use a 60 milisecond buffer. Yeah, force, as in "do it or I'll beat you to death with a teddy bear" lol. But in all seriousness, people have been having issues in some proton applications causing audio and/or visual stutter because audio can't keep up with video, and in some extreme cases, the lack of audio keeping up is dragging the video along with it, causing stutter.
DXVK_ASYNC=1
When you're translating commands from windows to Linux, some of the "things" it does, is that it compiles certain things, such as shaders, over in batches. For the user, that means stutter, as the system has to keep waiting for batches to compile and be sent over. This command stops it from sending it in batches and delivers shaders on the fly as they are being loaded.

WINE_FULLSCREEN_FSR=1
Depending on what system you've got, should you encounter performance issues, you can lower your resolution below native. If you do that, FSR will automatically engage, lessening the visual impact of your being below native resolution. This is a GE proton exclusive.

gamemoderun
Various tweaks and system resource allocation changes that give priority to the game you're running and only engage when the game is ran. Requires game mode to be installed on your distro.

%command%
For some ludicous reason, inputting above commands isn't enough, you have to specifically tell steam that you're using advanced commands with this entry. (shrug)

By the way, non-native MMO's being run on Linux can be a bit twitchy, I know people that got their asses permabanned for it triggering false positives on anti-cheat software. You do it at your own risk!

Last edited:
You typed out a lot of information and code for me, thank you!

Is there a tutorial that explains the things you wrote?

After following your instructions and typing in the code, launching the game after the Vulkun Shaders loads, fails and gives an error. Not sure why the game won't Abort when I try to click Abort Game.

Restarting Steam, launching the game only results in the same process all over again.
The Vulkun Shaders downloads again and then An Error Has Occured pops up.

Restarting Steam and trying to play the game only results in the same process as mentioned above.
I'm really trying not to throw the towel in on this.

I'm doing this for someone with a disability so I can install Linux Mint on their desktop pc, install Steam and teach them what to do so they can play games and enjoy life.

Have you had these issue's @BigBadBeef ?

Attachments

• Warframe Loading Vulkun Shaders.jpg
    Warframe Loading Vulkun Shaders.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Warframe After Vulkan Loads.jpg
    Warframe After Vulkan Loads.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Warframe1 .jpg
    Warframe1 .jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Warframe Won't Abort.jpg
    Warframe Won't Abort.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 139
You typed out a lot of information and code for me, thank you!

Is there a tutorial that explains the things you wrote?
Yes, you can use a search engine and the commands will be explained to you. There are two things we can try to troubleshoot:

Firstly, I noticed you have a Cape Verde PRO GPU. While those support DirectX 12, they cause issues on many games so using it is not recommended.
Lets try first by changing the first command "VKD3D_FEATURE_LEVEL=12_0" and see if that gets is to run. If it doesn't, remove the command entirely.

Yes, you can use a search engine and the commands will be explained to you. There are two things we can try to troubleshoot:

Firstly, I noticed you have a Cape Verde PRO GPU. While those support DirectX 12, they cause issues on many games so using it is not recommended.
Lets try first by changing the first command "VKD3D_FEATURE_LEVEL=12_0" and see if that gets is to run. If it doesn't, remove the command entirely.
Can you link where the Cape Verde Pro GPU causes issues on games?

Changing the code and removing the command entirely made no difference.
In both instances after the vulkan shaders processed Steam crashed.

Can you link where the Cape Verde Pro GPU causes issues on games?
Changing the code and removing the command entirely made no difference.
In both instances after the vulkan shaders processed Steam crashed.
In that case, GE proton might be culprit. Go back to proton 8.0 and re-introduce the aforementioned command. Unfortunately, the official proton does not support FSR unless it is already in the game itself, therefore you may remove its aforementioned command at your discretion.

In that case, GE proton might be culprit. Go back to proton 8.0 and re-introduce the aforementioned command. Unfortunately, the official proton does not support FSR unless it is already in the game itself, therefore you may remove its aforementioned command at your discretion.
Thanks for the link:-
That article helped me to understand that the Radeon GPU that I have will have issues.
When I built this Asus Tuf Gaming rig I wasn't able to pick up a new GPU at that time. So I just used the GPU from the old build.

At this point, I think I'd be more inclined to purchase a newer AMD Radeon GPU so I can (and the gentelmen I'm helping) enjoy Steam Games on Linux.

Looking here for now: 24 GB of GDDR6 RAM looks good. I'm thinking that the AMD RX 7900 XTX should give the clock speeds and performance needed. I'll do some reading over the weekend.

Your support and help has been very good, thank you, BigBadBeef.
Enjoy the weekend!

Cheers,
Alex

So if I understand correctly - you're giving up?

Looking here for now: 24 GB of GDDR6 RAM looks good. I'm thinking that the AMD RX 7900 XTX should give the clock speeds and performance needed. I'll do some reading over the weekend.
That gpu is a 4k gaming gpu. Do you have a 4k monitor and do you play a lot of modern games, if the answer to one of those is "No" to that gpu is over kill for you. Then you will be fine with a gpu from the generation before that such as an RX 6600(XT) or RX 6700(XT), but if you don't care about how much money you are spending then buy whatever you want.

So if I understand correctly - you're giving up?
No, not giving up just doing what the man with the disability that I'm helping said to do.

That gpu is a 4k gaming gpu. Do you have a 4k monitor and do you play a lot of modern games, if the answer to one of those is "No" to that gpu is over kill for you. Then you will be fine with a gpu from the generation before that such as an RX 6600(XT) or RX 6700(XT), but if you don't care about how much money you are spending then buy whatever you want.
No, I don't have a 4k monitor but I would like to have one.
After much thinking I'd like build myself a gaming desktop.
The 2 desktop's and laptop that I run Linux on a regular basis don't have what it takes to be able to run Steam games on Linux. Those custom builds are 10 plus years old.

This was a good learning experience.

No, I don't have a 4k monitor but I would like to have one.
After much thinking I'd like build myself a gaming desktop.
The 2 desktop's and laptop that I run Linux on a regular basis don't have what it takes to be able to run Steam games on Linux.
Then it would be a good gpu for an upgrade if you are planning to buy a 4k monitor and play more games on a regular basis. It may also be good to upgrade your ram, cpu and motherboard depending on what you currently have?

Then it would be a good gpu for an upgrade if you are planning to buy a 4k monitor and play more games on a regular basis. It may also be good to upgrade your ram, cpu and motherboard depending on what you currently have?
The current build that's about 4 years old is the Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus WiFi, 16 Gig's of RAM, an AMD Radeon 7750 GPU, and a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 X 6-Core CPU.

The Gigabyte G27F Gaming Monitor that I've got now, I purchased in Feb. of 2023 so it's only 4 months old.

I could go to Micro Center and make new purchases for a new build for a good gaming experience....however, I am open to suggestions and or recommendations.

Members online

Latest posts