Useless icons on screen following installation

LinuxLifer

Credits
Nice try Vrai, but unfortunately not. I tried several themes before settling on one and the problem icons persisted through all.

G'day Wiz. And it is another beautiful day in my part of Oz.
Synaptic is usually just about the first package I install and the History shows many installs.
I don't find your approach in any way patronizing or condescending. You don't know what I know or don't, so you have to ask -- no worries. There are smart asses with sarcastic or cryptic replies, but overall the comments I read in various Linux forums when searching for help are positive in nature. In fact, I very rarely need to ask for help because it's almost always possible to find a solution from helpful Linux users by googling.

LinuxLifer

Credits
Nice try Vrai, but I tried various themes before settling on one and the icon problem persisted.

G'day Wiz, and it is another beaut day in my part of Oz.
Synaptic is one of the first applications I install and History shows many installed packages.
I don't consider your posts in any way condescending or patronizing. You don't know what I know or don't, so you need to ask. No worries. Some smart asses post sarcastic or overly cryptic comments, but overall the replies I've read on various Linux forums are much more positive and repectful.

LinuxLifer

Credits
I tried uploading twice earlier today, but it didn’t work. Here goes again.
Nice try Vrai, but I tried several themes before settling on one and the problem icons persisted.
G’day Wiz, and it is another beaut day in my part of Oz. Synaptic is one of the first applications I install and History shows a lot of installed packages. I don’t consider your posts in any way condescending or patronizing. You don’t know what I know or don’t know, so asking appropriate questions is reasonable. So no worries! Some smart-ass posts I’ve read on Linux forums are sarcastic and overly cryptic, but overall I find them to be patient, respectful, and helpful.

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Knew you were a bloody Aussie :), we can start a Commonwealth Club here, lol.

shows a lot of installed packages
Yeah, mine came down to about 63 in the end. I've put on GParted but not Synaptic yet, wanted to run updates and establish where they went. No miscreant panel appeared, though.

I typically run about 60 - 80 Linux, and my protocol for most after install is to

1. Install Timeshift and configure it
2. Take a full, on demand snapshot
3. Clear the cache of (in Debian-based, and equivalent with RPM-based and Arch-based) .deb files with sudo apt-get clean
4. Run updates, reboot and see that all is well
5. Run Timeshift
6. Populate the install and panels with my fave apps
7. Run Timeshift

Under that regime, if I lose a Distro, or changes are not to my satisfaction, I can be back in business in as little as 10 to 15 minutes by running a Timeshift Restore.

If you follow something like that, you can identify the updates through

/var/cache/apt/archives

as well as other means.

The fact that, if I read you correctly, the unasked for panel appeared at first launch following a clean install tends to rule out many options we'd normally pursue, and makes some of what I am saying superfluous or irrelevant.

I'd put on Synaptic, but I will leave it until after I restore, because as part of the updates, Xubuntu installed the Snap Store and took away access to the perfectly adequate Gnome Software, who knows why?

I'll restore and do some further research and come back to this Thread if I have something relevant or illuminating.

Before I close

1. haven't forgotten your question on Mint Xfce and Xubuntu, will address elsewhere and link to there from here so as to not go off-topic

2. If you get a chance, swing over to Member Introductions and say hi and tell us some of the LinuxLifer story - there you'll meet a few of The Gang, more Aussies and includes my mate Brian, who is from NSW, and is your age or very close.

Cheers

Chris

LinuxLifer

Credits
Timeshift is one of those meaning-to-do things that I will get around to soon. I do back up to a NAS though.
I don't recall the weird panel/icons being there immediately after the install but think they appeared after updates but before installing most apps. That's vague and makes diagnosing difficult.
Now that you mention snap, the icons may have appeared after I installed it (which is the only way I was eventually able to get a functioning Foobar2000 after unsuccessful attempts with Wine and PlayOnLinux). I've done a File System Catfish search and in addition to the various cairo-related packages I mentioned earlier, there are also cairo items in the snap directory and many cairo .png and .svg files in /snap and /usr/share. But these image files are all cairo-clock and aren't anything like the problem icons, so another dead end.
It's a difficult one to google but before joining this forum and opening this thread I tried a bunch of different keyword/phrase combinations with no luck. So it appears that this issue may be unique to my computer and seems to suggest that some ghosts from the past have appeared to haunt it.

LinuxLifer

Credits
Sorry for misunderstanding. Searching Synaptic with "dock" shows no installed applications. Searching the File System shows some dock packages associated with snap. None of the icon images are those of the problem icons.

Members online