USB Linux Installation and OUT, Windows!

GusCE6

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, everyone.

I was wondering- is it possible to permanently install a Linux Distro into a laptop via USB stick instead of a CD? If so, how?

I finally was able to order a new hard drive for the old ASUS laptop (2012), and intend to install Linux on it. It originally came with Windows 8.

So- how do I 100% clear the laptop of Windows, barring an exorcism? The only Windows on it will be programs run via WINE or maybe something like VirtualBox to run games like "Tanktics."

I'm actually looking forward to this!

Heh, I just saw Bill gates asleep in his Windows jammies, having a nightmare of being prodded by tiny penguins with pitchforks giggling "Liiiiinnnnuuuuuux..."

Last edited:

as your machine is 2010 it will be 64 bit and usb bootable, your only problem may be the amount of ram installed and some drivers.

8 gb means it will run any distribution you want. [on this 2010 machine with only 4gb I run Mint lmde

Can I get rid of Windows altogether?
I haven't used windows in over 20 yrs, when you install your chosen distribution select use complete disk at the partition stage, and it will completely overwrite windows, so if you have any files/folders/pictures/etc you want to keep move them to an external storage source first

Okay! :)

Can I get rid of Windows altogether?

To add to the above, I'll respond to this question:

Yes. Yes, you can. In fact, the vast majority of the regular visitors on this site run Linux exclusively.

Many of us have used Linux exclusively for decades.

Balena Etcher
Definitely.

Just to put it simply.....when you first boot to the usb stick and linux appears.....that is called a "LIVE" version. (all that means is that it is not installed in the usual way...it is actually running in RAM)

When you double click on "Install Linux Mint" on the desktop of the live version, and then choose to USE THE COMPLETE DISC (or words to that effect)....it will wipe windows completely.

The end result will be a drive occupied by Linux, ONLY.

btw....as Linux installs you will be asked if you wish to install multi media stuf etc etc....tick YES to all those

Have fun. we are here to help with whatever happens.

I have a 2012 Asus Laptop that came with w 7...i5 CPU...64bit...500GB HDD but only has 4GB of DDR3 Ram.

It's been running several Linux Distros for years...the last 4 years Linux Mint Cinnamon...about 2 years ago I replaced the HDD for a 500 SSD.
m1212.gif

I'm not a Laptop person but comes in handy if something happens to my Tower and with only 4GB of Ram I can't multitask like I can with my Tower that has 16GB of Ram.
m1211.gif

@bob466 ...it could be time to whack in a new stick (or two) of ram into the laptop, Bob ?

I'll try the disc first, since that is what I have.

It is Ubuntu Bionic Beaver 64-Bit. Hopefully it can properly run 32-Bit applications and games.

Last edited:
It is Ubuntu Bionic Beaver 64-Bit.

I wouldn't use that. Support for it expired April 2023, so if you access the internet you put yourself at risk.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online

Latest posts