Ubuntu for video security cameras

thb

Reaction score
Credits
I would like to use an old Dell Xp desktop to run ZoneMinder to monitor several security cameras. The Dell has a core 2 duo 2.33 Ghz 64 bit processer, 4GB Ram, 80GB HDD along with some other peripherals. I download the current ISOs for Lubuntu and Xubuntu and they seem to run fine off a CD drive. My questions:

1. Is there a Ubuntu product recommendation for this application? Hope also to install zmNinja for remote iPhone monitoring.

I also would like to install ZoneMinder and it appears to have a lot intricate steps.

2. Is there a recommended source for installation steps, and easy for the new comer, to install ZoneMinder?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Zone Minder is maintained by Isaac Conner and all you need is the PPA for a Ubuntu based distro.
PPA stands for a personal package archive.

You will have to add the src to your Software Sources first. Than run the commands.

The commands to get Zone Minder installed is on this page:

I don't know enough about zmNinja or how it works with Zone Minder on a Linux machine.
Also from reading here:

ZM has to be configured so you will have to read up on that.

You will have to add the src to your Software Sources first. Than run the commands.
The link from @Alexzee is outdated, but the download and install steps are the same. The current version is 1.36. The ZoneMinder download page directs Ubuntu users to Isaac Conner's PPA, and following the link there to version 1.36 gives these instructions below. Open a terminal and copy/paste these 2 commands (one at a time):
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-1.36
sudo apt-get update

Unfortunately, Isaac did not post the last step, and the 2 steps above do not complete the installation. You need one more step, and I will take a guess at it here for you:
Code:
sudo apt-get install zoneminder

If that fails or tells you it is not available, then try this instead:
Code:
sudo apt-get install zoneminder-1.36

Hope also to install zmNinja for remote iPhone monitoring.
We don't do iPhone app support here, so you'll have to figure this out on your own, or try to get more help on the ZoneMinder Forums. Good luck with your project!

I put my own system together with raw feeds and a web server. I didn't document it worth crap, but the libraries were all there including motion detection. I found it easier than any of the other options I tried. If you can't get it working, that may be worth looking into.

Optional.

Here's a wired system which I prefer.
This is not my design it comes from here.

I used this idea and put together my own system.
Research and learn about what options are available.
Research the systems and what is needed prior to buying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts