Ubuntu-Based Distros Cause Black Screen After Waking Up From Suspend

_Default

Reaction score
Credits
I had another thread about Linux Mint causing a black screen where i cannot do anything after waking up from suspend and i have to either take the battery out or hold the power button (which cause a little bit of corruption on my dual booted windows 10.) Today i dual booted Xubuntu thinking there wouldnt be as many bugs as Mint considering it is a fairly new distro but upon waking from suspend, i got another black screen but this time i could move my touchpad but the cursor was only a square with green and blue colors (corrupted-looking). Could it just be that my laptop isnt compatible with Linux? Or is it possible that it is only Ubuntu based distros? (black screen doesnt happen every time, but on occasion it does.)

On most PCs, suspend/resume works really well in linux. But on certain types of PC with certain types of hardware - the screen will not work properly when waking from suspend. It's been a common problem for a number of years now.

If your laptop is affected by this problem - then you will have the same problem with ANY linux distro you try on it.

But there are a few things that you can try in order to side-step/fix the issue.

Here is a guide on the Debian documentation:
https://wiki.debian.org/Suspend#Kernel_testing_facility

That has a few suggestions of things you can try.
It might also be worth taking a look at the external links on that page too, in case they offer some insight.

Failing that - the only other option would be to completely disable the suspend/resume functionality and avoid using it! And I think the guide above mentions that option too!

From what you have described - it sounds like your system is still running when you resume - it is just the video-card that is not waking properly. So the section of the linked page that talks about disabling KMS (kernel mode-setting) for your graphics card might be the first thing for you to try!

Staff online