trouble booting to "live" Linux with a USB pen drive - resolved

gojisan

Reaction score
Credits
This post is a solution to the post title, not a question. I'm a new forum member that also has a thread under Member Introductions. My problem seems to have some common solutions so I hope my solution can help someone when the more common ones don't work.

I was having a problem booting to a USB pen drive to try Mint 21.2. My computer would not recognize the device regardless of trying BIOS setting changes, different burning tools and other troubleshooting methods. If interested, you can read through all the help I got, used, and appreciated, from other forum members.

I'm not new to troubleshooting technology but am new to the Linux world. After eliminating what I knew and learned more about what I didn't, things pointed to my PC. I learned there was a BIOS update that addressed certain SanDisk USB drives from being recognized by the F9 start up option. I also learned through a very helpful HP support person that Win10 systems can experience corrupt system files that prevent a PC from booting to any active partition other than the primary Win10 partition. The problem seems to be caused by Microsoft updates. No surprise to long time MS users. If you never try booting from your everyday partition there's no harm done and there's no problem, The only solution is to reinstall the OS.

Fortunately the BIOS update solved the problem. But I also had to install an Intel CPU firmware update before I could update the BIOS.

I finally got to take a look at "live" Linux for the first time. My computer system has been humming along nicely and securely for years and I maintain it. My interest in exploring an OS outside the MS world after 36 years is just beginning and I hope Linux can be an alternative.

Thanks for sharing, @gojisan

The info re win 10 having corrupt system files which prevent the pc booting to anything other than win 10, rings more than a few bells. That makes a case for anybody wishing to install only Linux (not dual boot) to wipe the drive clean first....before attempting to boot to the usb stick with Linux on it. It becomes perhaps more complex than it should be !!

Last edited:
@Condobloke :-

Re; the stuff about corrupt Windows files, etc. Just ONE of many reasons for my own - admittedly! - deliberately derogatory term for the Redmond beast, which I've been using for years......and which the staff here have made it crystal clear that I am NOT allowed to use on these hallowed pages, because Linux.org has a well-earned reputation for being welcoming, neutral and "nice" to everybody, regardless of age, gender, interest or level of ability.

So I reserve that one for other fora......where nobody gives a flying fig how I post! :p

Mike. ;)

Linux.org has a well-earned reputation for being welcoming, neutral and "nice" to everybody, regardless of age, gender, interest or level of ability.

We've worked hard, and continue to work hard, to keep it that way.

I use a neutral term, typically. I tend to refer to them as MSFT. I don't even substitute the S for an $!

There's no need to bring negativity to the forum. I get it. Say your (a generic 'you' and not you in particular) piece and let it go. We have some zealots here but not many and they're usually tame.

@KGIII :-

Heh. Tame's about right....I'm no zealot, and never will be. Still, I do get amused by those who think that by running Windows apps under WINE, they'll infect their system by "allowing" malware in thru the emulator.....

Now that's negativity! :p

I do like coming here, I will admit. Good atmosphere....great bunch of guys'n'gals. I hope it won't change.

(I don't remember exactly where I came across my "usual" term. I believe it was on the Delphi Forums, shortly after the turn of the Millennium - well over 20-odd years ago. I absolutely p****d myself laughing at it for 3 or 4 hours, and was still chuckling about it to myself a month or more later. From then on, it just kinda "stuck".....and it's been part of my online vocabulary ever since.

You're the only group within memory that have ever objected to its use.)

(shrug...)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
You're the only group within memory that's actually objected to its use.)

I either forgot or missed the specifics, so it's all good.

I hope it won't change.

It won't so long as I have a say in the matter. After that, I can't vouch for it - but I'd like to think it remains the same. We're friendly and inclusive without being over the top with it if that makes sense.

You're the only group within memory that have ever objected to its use.)

That ultimately goes back to me being here.

You will remember, Mike, that you and I were at another forum, which got sued by a software maker because they felt they got a bad review there.

We do not need that here.

Further, I hate those automobile advertisements that claim this car does so much better than that car, and so on.

If your car is good enough, you don't need to bag the opposition or competition, to sell it. It sells itself.

Linux is one great automobile, and in the last few years, it has gone from 2% of the market to holding 4% of the market.

This site has gone from 4,600 Members to 68,438 Members since 2017.

Why? Obviously because of my charisma (...NOT)

Because we are so friendly and we have a think tank that is legend, and we rank so highly in Google.

An unexpected bonus of the passing of Alan Rochester is that Debian Forums staff are talking with us about becoming like brother/sister sites, referring questions to each other's expertise, and so on.

I call this cross-pollenation, lol, rather than cross-posting.

Enjoy your Linux, everyone, and

Avagudweegend

Chris
wizardfromoz

@gojisan - regrets if I somewhat derailed your thread, I try not to make a habit of that. Glad to hear you are enthusiastic.

I hope Linux can be an alternative.

I believe so.

""I hope Linux can be an alternative.""

I am absolutely sure of it !.

One of many great things about linux is everything works. Flash Drives...External Drives are plug in and play...not plug in and pray and no waiting for so called drivers to be installed so it can work either.
m1212.gif

@KGIII :-

I do get amused by those who think that by running Windows apps under WINE, they'll infect their system by "allowing" malware in thru the emulator.....

Mike. ;)

I must admit I have a good laugh about that myself.
m0127.gif

I'm glad the BIOS update solved my problem. At some point I may invest in additional resources if I get more serious about Linux, but for now I'm using what I've got. Interupting day to day operations on my computer to reinstall the existing OS was not an option. I found it interesting what I learned by using the only spare USB drive I had instead of trying a different one. I briefly wondered what would have happened if my USB pen drive was not a SanDisk? Lotsa what if's.

I do like coming here, I will admit. Good atmosphere....great bunch of guys'n'gals. I hope it won't change.
We're friendly and inclusive without being over the top with it if that makes sense.

Amen. There's a nice vibe throughout this forum.

In reference to throwing around explicatives concerning a nonbiological entity that must-not-be-named, I have to admit I'm guilty.

My only defense is intense frustration, anger that I've become dependent on a commodity dominated by one of the two giants who use their monopolies to gather information about me, revoke my permissions to alter the architecture of something I paid for and own, force me to comply with their terms in order to use this thing I own...

Well, it's difficult to refrain from four letter words. Just trying to free myself of the mania seems to be a monumental task. The giant seems to be making every effort to make it is difficult as possible to regain my freedom.

Ordinarily I'm happy, joyous and free. I came here so I can stay that way. In the mean time, I'll keep an eye on my attitude and a leash on my language.

Thanks for sharing, @gojisan

The info re win 10 having corrupt system files which prevent the pc booting to anything other than win 10, rings more than a few bells. That makes a case for anybody wishing to install only Linux (not dual boot) to wipe the drive clean first....before attempting to boot to the usb stick with Linux on it. It becomes perhaps more complex than it should be !!
That sounds exactly like the problem I'm having with a Lenovo! I looked all over the internet trying to figure out how to change the boot order. So far not a single thing has worked. It has Win 8.1. You just saved me another day of fruitless effort! Thank you!

I guess I'm going to get out that old Compaq with the dreaded Vista OS. Whatever it takes!

@STaylor It is quite possible that a bios update is the solution.

Quote, @osprey .....upgrade the BIOS/UEFI if that's possible. The instructions are usually on the factory site where the files for the upgrade can be downloaded. One needs to be very careful and precise in following the factory instructions with great attention to detail when upgrading BIOS/UEFIs.

If there is a 'Raid' setting in th bios....turn it off.
the machine should be set to AHCI.

If there's a BIOS/UEFI setting for "Windows" or "Other" or maybe "Legacy" or even "Unix", choose the item that is not "Windows". If "Unix" is there,

@STaylor It is quite possible that a bios update is the solution.

Quote, @osprey .....upgrade the BIOS/UEFI if that's possible. The instructions are usually on the factory site where the files for the upgrade can be downloaded. One needs to be very careful and precise in following the factory instructions with great attention to detail when upgrading BIOS/UEFIs.

If there is a 'Raid' setting in th bios....turn it off.
the machine should be set to AHCI.

If there's a BIOS/UEFI setting for "Windows" or "Other" or maybe "Legacy" or even "Unix", choose the item that is not "Windows". If "Unix" is there,
I will try that. Thanks!

My 12 year old Laptop has never had the BIOS (Legacy) updated and everything plugged in works just fine...even my new portable SSD because it's Linux.
m1212.gif

Are you getting a good laugh at my problems!?!

No just stating a fact...about 2 years ago I replaced the HDD with a 500GB SSD...Booted to my Mint Flash Drive and installed Mint.
m1211.gif

My 12 year old Laptop has never had the BIOS (Legacy) updated and everything plugged in works just fine...even my new portable SSD because it's Linux.
m1212.gif
Same with my Dell lappy now 14 yrs old bios never been updated, SSD put in last year no problems, I regularly run, Mint LMDE, MX,Parrot and a couple of other distros, without issue.

I think the bottom line here is that unless, or until computer manufacturers begin to take the Linux market seriously, we can expect a number of users to face problems installing Linux.

We are at 4% of the market, now, on latest figures, and that may amount to 100 million users...surely someone will see that as a viable and rewarding customer base.

(Fingers crossed)

Wizard

Members online