Too much to learn, too less time.

Reaction score
Credits
I'm currently studying for RHCSA. I'm following a 150 hr course for it. If I finish 5 videos per day, It'd take me 30 days to finish this course.

I've purchased Docker Certified Associate and Certified Kubernetes Administrator course on udemy as well which are both over 20 hrs, 20 hrs.

I've a SQL course ongoing where I'm halfway through. I do plan to learn advanced sql like T-SQL, subqueries etc.

And these are other stuffs that I want to learn(by learn I mean enough depth, like doing a semester worth of online class ie 25 hrs of online course).

- nginx

- redis

- jenkins

- aws ccp, aws csa

- terraform

- bash scripting

- rhce

- tomcat

- apache

- ccna

- regex

- selenium

- javascript ES6/programming/C++ exercises I want to solve 500 of them.

- Data Structures and Algorithms in C++

But how do I plan? Should I eat the elephant one at a time or should I try to eat the elephant parallely at once? What's more beneficial?

I'm doing all this for a job as linuxadmin. Out of these most important skills for job are:

- linux

- sql

So should I just prioritize them? I'm fluent in linux basics but I'm currently learning advanced Linux so that I can advance in my career.

About programming, I really feel programming is extremely essential skill and I need to learn it even if I want to work as a devops engineer.

I'm really overwhelmed.

I am currently just focusing on finishing RHCSA course and SQL course(I'm halfway through the course). What should I do? I just don't want to be misguided. I'm in probation period of traineeship, so should I just focus on proving myself on these skills?

I'm in probation period of traineeship, so should I just focus on proving myself on these skills?

I have avoided some threads for a few reasons, but it's a good time to chime in. I don't have fancy papers to prove my ability or anything like that. I haven't taken any (real) certification tests in my life - but I've taken all sorts of tests.

But, I digress...

I want to speak about these two things in your comment.

I'm really overwhelmed.

In my life, I've hired many people. Many of those people were probationary employees. Given the nature of the work involved, we had to hire people unfamiliar with the subject. My employees would often get certifications and/or take courses. When you can't hire experts, you make experts.

Here's the list of things I'd look for in a probation period.

A willingness to learn.
Being prompt.
Being courteous.
Fitting into the team.
Being coachable - not quite the same as having a willingness to learn.
Showing initiative.
Asking questions (specifically good questions).
Admitting mistakes.
Admitting gaps in their knowledge.

I certainly didn't want you to rush through getting certifications. I wanted you to understand the material in those exams, not pass the test within a specific set of dates.

The odds were good that you'd be joining other people who do specific jobs. They'll be your mentors and far more influential (and informative) than some certification exam will be.

So, relax and be those things I enumerated above. They're far more important than you learning all there is to know during a probationary period.

Especially prompt... Seriously, be on time.

Oh, and initiative... Some of our best ideas came from people outside the field.

Be those things and, chances are, the rest will fall into place.

I'm currently studying for RHCSA. I'm following a 150 hr course for it. If I finish 5 videos per day, It'd take me 30 days to finish this course.

I've purchased Docker Certified Associate and Certified Kubernetes Administrator course on udemy as well which are both over 20 hrs, 20 hrs.

I've a SQL course ongoing where I'm halfway through. I do plan to learn advanced sql like T-SQL, subqueries etc.

And these are other stuffs that I want to learn(by learn I mean enough depth, like doing a semester worth of online class ie 25 hrs of online course).

- nginx

- redis

- jenkins

- aws ccp, aws csa

- terraform

- bash scripting

- rhce

- tomcat

- apache

- ccna

- regex

- selenium

- javascript ES6/programming/C++ exercises I want to solve 500 of them.

- Data Structures and Algorithms in C++

But how do I plan? Should I eat the elephant one at a time or should I try to eat the elephant parallely at once? What's more beneficial?

I'm doing all this for a job as linuxadmin. Out of these most important skills for job are:

- linux

- sql

So should I just prioritize them? I'm fluent in linux basics but I'm currently learning advanced Linux so that I can advance in my career.

About programming, I really feel programming is extremely essential skill and I need to learn it even if I want to work as a devops engineer.

I'm really overwhelmed.

I am currently just focusing on finishing RHCSA course and SQL course(I'm halfway through the course). What should I do? I just don't want to be misguided. I'm in probation period of traineeship, so should I just focus on proving myself on these skills?
1. I highly suggest that you do one thing at a time with certainty.
2. Should you fail at #1, you could make mistakes that could end up costing you in many ways.

1. I highly suggest that you do one thing at a time with certainty.
2. Should you fail at #1, you could make mistakes that could end up costing you in many ways.
What was the 1960 hit by the Ventures...... WALK DON'T RUN

Men are good at doing one thing at a time well, (women are pretty good multi taskers), I'd concentrate on as few as are really necessary, then you can work at learning the other stuff at your leisure. Linux is more a case of knowing where to find answers than actually knowing them all.

I have avoided some threads for a few reasons, but it's a good time to chime in. I don't have fancy papers to prove my ability or anything like that. I haven't taken any (real) certification tests in my life - but I've taken all sorts of tests.

But, I digress...

I want to speak about these two things in your comment.

In my life, I've hired many people. Many of those people were probationary employees. Given the nature of the work involved, we had to hire people unfamiliar with the subject. My employees would often get certifications and/or take courses. When you can't hire experts, you make experts.

Here's the list of things I'd look for in a probation period.

A willingness to learn.
Being prompt.
Being courteous.
Fitting into the team.
Being coachable - not quite the same as having a willingness to learn.
Showing initiative.
Asking questions (specifically good questions).
Admitting mistakes.
Admitting gaps in their knowledge.

I certainly didn't want you to rush through getting certifications. I wanted you to understand the material in those exams, not pass the test within a specific set of dates.

The odds were good that you'd be joining other people who do specific jobs. They'll be your mentors and far more influential (and informative) than some certification exam will be.

So, relax and be those things I enumerated above. They're far more important than you learning all there is to know during a probationary period.

Especially prompt... Seriously, be on time.

Oh, and initiative... Some of our best ideas came from people outside the field.

Be those things and, chances are, the rest will fall into place.
Firstly, I'm not getting any certifications by paying 400$s. That's out of talk. I'm just saying that I'll do udemy courses about these certifications.
The worst case scenario in my current job is that it becomes a forgettable moment in my life and I am forced to not include it in my resume. Even on that case, I should be doing enough to show that I was working a lot hard for the last 6 months.

The worst case scenario in my current job is that it becomes a forgettable moment in my life and I am forced to not include it in my resume.

You've got this. You will be fine. They haven't fired you yet and you're learning new stuff every day. Getting through the probation period is mostly just common sense.

Hmm... I did miss one thing. I shouldn't have to mention it, but be hygienic. We had a few folks who didn't seem to understand that. One might think that's something every adult just does out of habit, but no...

Men are good at doing one thing at a time well, (women are pretty good multi taskers), I'd concentrate on as few as are really necessary, then you can work at learning the other stuff at your leisure. Linux is more a case of knowing where to find answers than actually knowing them all.
From what I have heard from a Female neurologist, human brains don't multitask. In fact it isn't good to force them to do it because all the human brain does is jump around. I also heard that men typically use the left side most of the time. It's the logical side. Where as a Female uses both sides simultaneously it gives them what is known as female intuition.

Staff online

Members online