Today's article revisits an older article about checking your RAM in the terminal.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I'd mistakenly left the door open for you folks to fill in with ways you use, but none of you did. So, I did a couple more ways to add to the list.

That's okay. I'll just do it all by myself. Hanging out over there with all my friends! LOL It's all good. It makes for another article.

Feedback is awesome. (I'm ~2 months away from the end of this project.)

I checked mine....and it has what I thought it had.

That's always good! I figured I'd add those two ways as a new article. Someone's gotta do it.

I'm reaching the point where I must decide what comes next. Do I keep going with the articles? Do I just make it a static site and put it on cheap hosting? There's a whole lot of traffic, as far as personal sites go, so it's nice that the site is useful to people. Most unique folks arrive via search engine, and some of the articles rank really well. There's some ad revenue, but not much. I could probably sell the site as is, but I'd want to make sure they'll be good to the site.

Ah well... I'll figure it out. I've got two months to think about it.

I've always used this command...
Code:
free -m

I should know how much Ram I have as I installed it myself.
happy0009.gif

Sometimes I prefer to know what percentage of the memory is being used by which application, from the highest user to the lowest so I run in a script:
Code:
ps -Ao pmem,comm,user | sed '/0.0/d'  | sort -n -r

I am quite happy with what I know, sudo inxi -Mm

I've always used this command...
Code:
free -m

I should know how much Ram I have as I installed it myself.
happy0009.gif

LOL That one was in the first article.

What I like about Linux is how many ways there are to do things. You have so many choices with Linux.

I found that command very handy a few months ago. :)

I have 16GB of Ram installed in my Tower...my VM has 4GB of Ram and I wanted to increase it to 6GB but when I tried...I got a massage saying not enough Ram.
confused0006.gif

So I ran that command which showed I only had 8GB of Ram...then I resized why...a few days ago I cleaned out my Tower and must have knocked one of the Ram sticks ( 2 8GB sticks in slots one and three) stupid me.
confused0062.gif

I also use these commands every now and then...
Code:
sudo inxi -m

free -m

inxi -tm10

I too am a 'free -m' kinda guy - though I seldom bother checking. It's modernity, where my boxes finally (generally speaking) have enough RAM. For now, I find that 32 GB is enough to mean I don't worry about it, though I do have an indicator in the system tray area of the panel.

I can probably do away with that and the CPU usage indicator, really. We're on a pretty good cycle of resources vs demand. At 32 GB, I can say that's 'enough' RAM for me - for now. Well, unless I open a bunch of VMs. I tend to never have more than two or three VMs running at a time, so that's not a major concern.

Staff online

Members online