Today's article may be of interest to those who are more privacy minded...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This article is about finding out when a file was created. See, your files contain metadata. They contain information about when the file was created, when it was modified, and stuff like that. They record this information with very precise time, in fact.

This is not quite the same as EXIF data, that is data stored in image files. I wrote an article about that and this article has a link to that article. If you are concerned about privacy, you may also want to read that article.

Anyhow, all sorts of information is created when you create a file. I'd say that EXIF falls under the definition of metadata, I suppose... But, yeah, you can learn a lot from metadata. It's also useful. This data is how you can do stuff like sort by time in your GUI file manager. It's also useful for checking if a file is a newer file than the file stored in your backups. This data isn't without use.

So, this seemed like an easy article to write. Indeed, it wasn't that hard at all. I thought it'd be shorter, but it isn't. I'm kind of digging the newer writing style I've been using. It seems more helpful. I'm unsure if the search engines will like it, but we'll see...

Staff online