Today's article is rather focused and not well written...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This one was to scratch my own itch and to provide a solution I didn't see elsewhere. It looks complicated, but it really isn't.

See, Thunderbird's notifications (especially the calendar event reminder notification sound) can be quiet compared to other system sounds. It may then go unnoticed.

Well, there's an easy fix. Download Audacity (or an alternative), find the sound file, open the sound file, and make it louder. This is easiest if you select your own notification sounds.

https://linux-tips.us/increase-the-volume-of-thunderbird-notifications/

It's not all that well written, but it's close enough for government work. I don't figure this will be all that popular, but at least this method is now out there and search should find it after it's indexed.

Don't forget that you can use most any audio file for notifications. Personally, I'm fond of the Barbara Eden audio, "You have mail Master!"

Well, there's an easy fix.
I actually had to do this for a client a couple weeks ago. I didn't use the default sound, and used what the client asked for on a clean install of Debian, but I can see the need for the article! ;)

Last edited:
I actually had to do this for a client a couple weeks ago.

Yeah, I didn't see it listed in any solutions pages, so I figured I might as well make it an article.

I figure it's a method that's not obvious to people unless they're familiar with editing audio. You can actually increase the volume in the file itself (unless it's already at peak amplitude). So, it got an article.

It's one of those 'scratch my own current itch' articles instead of one from my notes. I recently did a clean install on a device I use often. I still have more tweaks to apply and software to install, but I'll do that as I need to rather than follow some mythical list I've never actually written about what to do after you install your OS.

I don't really see most of those sort of lists as being all that useful, as what you install and what you do is a very personal thing. Instead, I do my install (having saved /home elsewhere to preserve it) and install software as I need it. When I install the software, I just copy my configuration files over. The rest is stuff I do when I need to do it or configuration changes when something annoys me to the point of digging out the fix and applying it.

(I appear to have forgotten to push the button to post this reply, Fortunately, it was saved as a draft.)

Members online

Latest posts