Today's article is only useful if you use wi-fi...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
If you don't use wi-fi, this won't be of much interest to you.

If you do use wi-fi, you can monitor your wireless device with a nifty little tool. It's not complicated and gives a bunch of valuable information - including things like signal strength.

Almost immediately, I got a comment saying that someone was unable to install the package (I do love my readers!) in the newest Ubuntu. However, I was able to confirm that the package exists in the Universe repo. So, I'm not sure what that's about. If anyone can help 'em more than I can, feel free to comment on their post.

Maybe they'll come here for help, 'cause I truly haven't a clue. I even tested the command on a device that didn't have the package already installed. It's a Lubuntu device but Lubuntu is Ubuntu with a different outfit on.

Nice app Thanks. Another tool I like is linssid it's installable for Debian based distros. It show all signals on the band you are one. Helps to know so you can adjust the router to a clearer channel. Of course out where you are there most likely are not many others using your bandwidth.

Installed using apt, but doesn't seem to work [LMDE6]

Nice app Thanks. Another tool I like is linssid it's installable for Debian based distros. It show all signals on the band you are one. Helps to know so you can adjust the router to a clearer channel. Of course out where you are there most likely are not many others using your bandwidth.

I may have to do an article on that. You're welcome to write an article. ;-)

Installed using apt, but doesn't seem to work [LMDE6]

Does it give an error when you type 'wavemon' into the terminal?

You can also try with sudo, which gives an extra feature or two but isn't really needed if you just want to monitor things.

Does it give an error when you type 'wavemon'
no it gives a report screen, but no info, tried the designated function keys and nothing happened

Thanks for this one, I've always just used networkmanager just to see connection strength and connection speed, but wavemon definitely feels a bit more robust in this case + I like that I can just quickly see dropped packet count at a glance.

Btw, F1 is just the starting 'info' page, if you navigate away from it (say to the histogram on F2), F1 will be your way to return to the original page.

no it gives a report screen, but no info, tried the designated function keys and nothing happened

I haven't got a clue. I don't even have a little clue.

You are using wi-fi, correct?

Try as I might, I can't replicate this. It "Just Works®" on everything at my house. There was also someone who was unable to install it, which I can't replicate. The package is available in their OS and they should have the right repository enabled by default. So, buggered if I know...

My computer is connected to the internet via cable but the router supports 300 Mbps wi-fi and there are always 3 smartphones connected to it. But there's nothing to monitor on the wi-fi. I've created a MAC address whitelist for all the devices that are allowed to connect to my wi-fi, so my worries about the wi-fi are long gone.

I've created a MAC address whitelist for all the devices that are allowed to connect to my wi-fi, so my worries about the wi-fi are long gone.

I just checked and my router will let me disable wireless entirely. Though MAC filtering sounds like a pretty clever solution.

In my country it's basically a mandatory thing to have bc there are always people who wanna use internet but someone else to pay for it. We refer to them as Bay Ganyo. :D
So, having a mac filter is indeed a mandatory thing to have around here, if you wanna have your wi-fi network just for your own devices.

Staff online

Members online