Today's article is just a meta article - but it is a milestone...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I didn't want to write a meta article so soon after the holidays, but there are things I have no control of. Well, I suppose I could control them, but that'd mess up my scheduling. I also said I'd write a meta article when I reached this milestone. Being a man of my word, I wrote said article.

I don't actually enjoy writing the meta articles. They're just too much effort for so little reward.

The good news is that this milestone also came at a good time to do a 2023 wrap-up. So, I have included some numbers for you besides pointing out that this was the 500th article published on Linux-Tips.us and that there's no reason to stop now. The next milestone is 600 articles! We'll see what happens when we get there!

That's a whole lot of articles. That's a whole lot of time invested.

Congratulations on this impressive milestone.

Here's to the ever closer 600 articles

Here's to the ever closer 600 articles

I've made it this far. It seems likely that I'll make it that far.

Though, I don't think I expected it to turn out as it has. This was just a project to get my notes online but it has turned into a bit of a resource for people. I could stop now, but I might as well keep going.

I've made it this far. It seems likely that I'll make it that far.

Though, I don't think I expected it to turn out as it has. This was just a project to get my notes online but it has turned into a bit of a resource for people. I could stop now, but I might as well keep going.
Definitely keep going. This is something that has the potential to grow stupendously higher than it is at this current moment in time. Like you say, this is a resource for people like myself whom are green and need that helping hand.

Your writing technique and previous mathematician accolades aid your blog. I haven't properly looked into the blog as of yet apart from a few posts, do you ever post about the mathematics side of operating systems? That might be quite interesting. A big thank you for continuing on, no matter how much you might not want to some days.

do you ever post about the mathematics side of operating systems?

Not yet. I've pondered such, but it really wouldn't fit the tone of the site.

Most folks ignore the computational bits of their computer and this is really aimed at being a resource for answering questions or giving starting/intermediate advice. I think I may have discussed entropy at one point, though I'm not sure if that ended up making it past the editing phase.

Not yet. I've pondered such, but it really wouldn't fit the tone of the site.

Most folks ignore the computational bits of their computer and this is really aimed at being a resource for answering questions or giving starting/intermediate advice. I think I may have discussed entropy at one point, though I'm not sure if that ended up making it past the editing phase.
That’s completely understandable.

If you have any literature you would recommend, as I wish to develop my mathematical knowledge on such topics over the next several years just out of pure curiosity - that would be great if you could share. :)

That’s completely understandable.

If you have any literature you would recommend, as I wish to develop my mathematical knowledge on such topics over the next several years just out of pure curiosity - that would be great if you could share. :)

That'd depend on your current knowledge level. But, I'd immediately suggest "Elements of Mathematics" as "Principia Mathematica" really isn't as valid as it once was. Still, you could read it to get a bit of history. Yes, mathematics is a changing field.

I've also been out of the academic world (more or less) for more than thirty years. I sold my business and retired. At this point, I spent a couple of years teaching at UMF. For that, I used a lot of my own material. Rather than spending thousands of dollars on books, they could just print it out.

That'd depend on your current knowledge level. But, I'd immediately suggest "Elements of Mathematics" as "Principia Mathematica" really isn't as valid as it once was. Still, you could read it to get a bit of history. Yes, mathematics is a changing field.

I've also been out of the academic world (more or less) for more than thirty years. I sold my business and retired. At this point, I spent a couple of years teaching at UMF. For that, I used a lot of my own material. Rather than spending thousands of dollars on books, they could just print it out.
Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, will give them a look at.

Members online