Today's article is intentionally short and involves carats!

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Mmm! Carrots!

No, not that kind. The computer kind. The weird looking character that is seldom used and is the result of SHIFT and the number 6 - at least on US keyboards.

Anyhow, you can easily substitute a previous command with the right command by using the carat.

If the format works, I may do more short articles.

Why on earth would somebody type all that to fix a typo??

Because it's easier and faster - especially if it's a long and complicated command.

It may not be faster for you. I type quickly. Then again, I don't make many typos. But, if I do, it's handy and worth knowing.

Now that is something I can use! I'm constantly making typographical errors.

I realize this is rather arcane for most desktop users, but I believe the carat is referred to as an anchor in regex. We don't see a lot of regexes these days. It's a useful tool for pattern matching, though I haven't spent much time with it in a long, long time.

Why on earth would somebody type all that to fix a typo??
For some, who spend a lot of time in the command-line, like me, this will be a good practice to have in my wheelhouse.

Hhmmm... should I be the one to tell him it is

carets

?

Carats are a measure of the purity of gold and other precious metals/gems

Cheers

Wiz

For some, who spend a lot of time in the command-line, like me, this will be a good practice to have in my wheelhouse.
My opinion is not based on me somehow being a perfect typist (i wonder if there is one...), but somehow when i try the example from the article:

Code:
^uplime^uptime
bash: :s^uplime^uptime: substitution failed

I mean, it would be cool if you could hit the home key, enter "^", and then it substitutes the properly spelled word automatically, but compare these two ways to fix your spelling error:
Carat way:
1. press the home key

2. Press shift

3. Press 6

4. Press end key

5. Press shift

6. Press 6

7. Press u

8. Press p

9. Press t

10. press i

11. press m

12. press e

Arrow keys way:

1. Press left 3 times

4. Press backspace

5. Press t

The arrow key saves you a whole 7 key strokes! You don't have to type out the whole word! It would also just be better to press ctrl+w and retype the whole word:

1. press ctrl

2. press 2

3-8 spell uptime

That saves you a whole 5 steps....

If there's anything that beats using the arrow keys in this scenario, be my guest! In vim, you have an assortment of options for re-spelling a word.

Last edited:
Hhmmm... should I be the one to tell him it is

carets

?

Carats are a measure of the purity of gold and other precious metals/gems

Cheers

Wiz

Darn it.

I'll get it fixed.

Thanks!

Sounds like a .... golden opportunity.

LOL

2/3rds of 'pun' is 'P-U'!

I think I typed it properly and Grammarly suggested a change so I blindly followed it because Grammarly is pretty good at this stuff. Well, it's normally pretty good at this stuff.

I'm not really sure. I wrote the article days ago. Due to the weather, I had a bunch of articles written ahead of time and scheduled. So, I don't really recall.

(At this point, I don't even try to remember that sort of thing. I do a whole lot of writing and editing!)

That or it was a simple mistake. That's more probable, actually. Again, I do a whole lot of writing and editing. Mistakes are gonna make it through.

Members online

Latest posts