Today's article is finally an article that relies on two previous articles...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This is a subject you should be very familiar with by now. What's the task? Well, we're simply checking to see how full your storage is. That's right, it's yet another article about monitoring your disk usage. I've written at least a half dozen articles, all different, about accomplishing this one goal.

It's just that easy to do things in Linux. There are just that many choices about how you do things. You have tons of choices about how you check disk usage and that's true for many other tasks.

Well, this one involves doing it in Python. This one involves using PIP. I wrote two darned articles on the subject and I did all that just so that I could write articles that make use of Python's PIP.

So, here you go:

Yup... You don't need Python to check your disk usage.

But you can... Yes, yes you can...

I didn't know about vizex. One of the cooler python apps I've seen.

I didn't know about vizex. One of the cooler python apps I've seen.

I agree! The output is easy to understand.

What's not seen in the screenshot is that it flashes red if the storage media is nearing capacity. I tried timing the screenshot a second time and missed it, so I gave up. I probably should have tried another one, so that folks could at least see that it's red.

You can install some great stuff with PIP. It really does make using Python applications easy.

The second step is also important, but not absolutely essential. You just add the PATH and then you just run the applications without including the path to where they're stored. They should probably find a way to do that automatically when installing PIP. There's surely a reason why they don't.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts