Today's article is an update to a previous article (about saving some RAM)...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I wrote an article about Google Chrome. In it, I shared a way to discard unused tabs automatically. This saves both RAM and, I guess, a little bit of power. I did not concentrate on any power savings, 'cause I dunno how much it'd save.

Anyhow, Google liked this idea so much that they made it a built in feature. This is not (yet) a feature in Chromium, but it is a feature in Chrome. It might even confuse people who don't know the feature was added, as it's enabled by default. Google now puts idle/unused tabs to sleep. You can, of course, create a list of tabs to keep open all the time.

So, this small change meant I'd need to update the previous article. It was more information than a simple update would cover. This is why it's an article in and of itself.

I believe a couple of other Chromium-based browsers can do the same - like the energy savings from Opera? I think I saw it in another browser, maybe Yandex? I don't recall at the moment.

Anyhow, there's the day's article. I put it in this sub because it's not just Linux that has this feature (I'm assuming). Right now, I just use the extension - as it's consistent across browsers. I suspect the next time I do a clean install I'll just let Google handle it for me and manually add sites.

Oh, and feedback is just alright by me.

Are there still a lot of people who might actually need those memory savings?

Are there still a lot of people who might actually need those memory savings?

People who like to keep a lot of tabs open, people using their RAM for something else while wanting to at least still be able to browse, etc...

I personally use it and I have gobs of RAM.

Then, the browsers themselves are adding the feature. Given that they make choices like that based on telemetry, I'm going to guess it's useful for a bunch of people. It'll also save some power, though I'm not sure how much.

Members online

Latest posts