Today's article is all about your wireless connection...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

I have no wireless connection currently so the commands return nothing, but I like network related topics, keep it up

Unfortunately iwconfig is no longer in debian. It's been replaced by iw. The descriptive info on iw is:
Description-en: tool for configuring Linux wireless devices
This package contains the 'iw' command line tool which allows one to configure
and show information about wireless devices.
iw is based on the nl80211 kernel interface and supports the majority of
fairly recent hardware. The old tool iwconfig, which uses Wireless Extensions
interface, is deprecated and it is strongly recommended to switch to iw and
nl80211.

Unfortunately iwconfig is no longer in debian. It's been replaced by iw. The descriptive info on iw is:

Really, Debian? Really?!? Of all the OG software to remove, Debian - the slow moving distro - removed iwconfig?

Well, at least I included how to confirm that it's installed.

It reminds of ifconfig being replaced by ip. I have a hunch that the two are related and that nobody told me about it.

I have a Debian forum account. I'm going to go yell angrily at them. (Not really. Thanks for the info.)

I suspect folks can still install it if they need to. I'll try to think of a good edit for the article.

Really, Debian? Really?!? Of all the OG software to remove, Debian - the slow moving distro - removed iwconfig?

Well, at least I included how to confirm that it's installed.

It reminds of ifconfig being replaced by ip. I have a hunch that the two are related and that nobody told me about it.

I have a Debian forum account. I'm going to go yell angrily at them. (Not really. Thanks for the info.)

I suspect folks can still install it if they need to. I'll try to think of a good edit for the article.
I was also surprised. I checked at:
It's still possible to install iwconfig one way or another, and it will provide the info specified in the article, but I guess users would be more inclined to just go with what the package manager can access.

I was also surprised. I checked at:
It's still possible to install iwconfig one way or another, and it will provide the info specified in the article, but I guess users would be more inclined to just go with what the package manager can access.

That means I'm going to have to learn the iw application. It's installed in Mint but not Lubuntu and appears to have far fewer features.

The debian manpage on iw is terse, to say the least, but there's lots of info here:

Thanks!

Yeah, there's not much to it anymore. I suppose they want us to use some other tools.

I don't tend to naysay progress, so I won't do so this time. My default assumption is that the people making these decisions know far more about Linux than I do. So, I stick with that...

Staff online

Members online