Today's article is about updating just a single application in Ubuntu...

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
So, you almost didn't get this article.

I'll share the story...

I have a spare article but it's actually a bit of a duplicate - as I've covered it before. I realized this before I smashed the 'schedule' button and didn't want to delete it. So, I set it as a draft. I figure it's a duplicate but I may need an emergency article and I'd rather a duplicate than nothing. (I haven't written a bunch of articles ahead in a while. I should.)

See, it all started with me trying to update a Linux Mint box. I was still using like v. 20 on that device. Well, that installation was not good. It had some problems. Like, if I wanted to reboot it'd take multiple minutes and I'd still sometimes have to hit up the terminal to log in and then start the GUI with 'startx'. It was that bad.

So, I kind of figured things were going to go south. I backed up my /home to a nice fresh backup and did the upgrade process. This failed in a spectacular manner and I wasted time as I thought I might.

Fortunately, I'd downloaded a Mint .iso fairly recently and it's only 21.1 but was close enough. I installed that (and am moving to 21.2 right this minute). I didn't really want to spand the time fixing it and I figured any fix I used was still just going to be a bandage. This meant the reasonable course of action was to re-install the operating system, as I kinda expected.

That took me until late in the evening. It was very late by the time I wrote the article. It was nearing 23:00 when I finished it, and I still had much work ahead of me.

Which is why we got this article, a nice and easy one, but only useful if you're using apt. It's useful not just for Ubuntu, but also Debian, Mint, etc.

You may notice an annoying new feature, where I invite people to sign up for the newsletter. It's a trial to see if it nets me more subscribers, 'cause my subscriber list isn't all that big considering the size of the readership. It so far appears to be helping.

I installed that (and am moving to 21.2 right this minute).

My downloads are so slow that it's popping up a message saying that "Requirements" (that stage in the upgrade process) have stopped responding and offering me the chance to force quit the application.

Yay...

My downloads are so slow that it's popping up a message saying that "Requirements" (that stage in the upgrade process) have stopped responding and offering me the chance to force quit the application.
Firefox update through Mint took almost 30minutes this morning on each of my three boxes, and speedtest ran 500Mbps so it wasn't me.
Something wrong with the servers!

Good article!
So, you might be able to do this with a GUI. I don’t actually know and I didn’t test to see if there was a way to do so graphically.

You just uncheck the updates you don't want to run, and run the ones you do in update manager.
You can even run one, reboot, run another, reboot, etc. if you so choose
;)

Last edited:
You just uncheck the updates you don't want to run, and run the ones you do in update manager.
You can run one, reboot, run another, reboot, etc.

I figured there would be a GUI way. I never really liked Synaptic so I always update through the terminal - even if there's a different GUI. Thanks.

And, the servers I'm using to download from are ones that I just picked today, chosen due to their higher bandwidth rate. It could be them, but I tend to blame my own connection.

Members online